Live from the Explorer - Racing Denis

We are leaving on 8/14. I am a first time cruiser and somewhat nervous about cruising during hurricane season. Thank You for keeping us all informed. I am glad to hear the Captain is doing all he can to keep you safe. I have been monitoring this site a lot over the last week and find the ship tracker sites fascinating. The wealth of information available out here is simply incredible. Wow.

How does it work if you have a shore excursion booked through the cruise line in cozumel and the captain decides to go to Nassau due to the weather? Do you get reimbursed for those missed excursions?

From all I've read and experienced the answer is yes, and pretty much assumed to be a matter of course.

And in fact, from researching independant excursion companies, the more reputable ones also promise a refund if the ship doesn't make it there because of a hurricane, and the most reputable ones don't even take your money until you are there and the excursion is over! (Peat Taylor in Ocho Rios, and Geddes Hislop in Grand Cayman, for a couple of examples.)

Theron

KRUZFAMILY. I have a question.... who is your Cruise Director? One minute I hear it is Clo then I hear it is a guy called James Andrews, maybe you can clarify this for me....

We have sailed with Clo several times and were hoping she was still on the Explorer...

I was just looking at the sailwx site, and the Conquest is either not reporting or not moving. They have been in the same spot, out to sea, since mid day yesterday. Strange....I would have thought that they would have headed north, or more west staying out to sea as well.......Elation is in the same spot too, looks like in port.

I was also looking at all of the ships that will be in Nassau starting today...whoa...lots of them....:eek:

Quick update from the Explorer..... we are docking right now. I see four other ships already docked in port. Right now, we're expected to be here overnight and tomorrow, leaving around 5 or 6 p.m. However, there is some speculation that the Captain may not take us back to Miami on Sunday, depending upon the storm. Boy would we hate to have to do another day on the ship (not). I guess it would make travel on Monday somewhat dicey but we're willing to give it a try.

Getting into Nassau has been fine. We had a little rolling this morning but nothing like Monday. Clo is still the cruise director and she's done a really nice job both with the regular CD role but also explaining what's what and why. The captain, an Argentinian and youngest captain in RC's fleet, has been great. Both yesterday and today he has held conferences with powerpoint presentations, etc. explaining the storm, the ship, etc. etc. While we didn't attend either, we've heard they were very informative and reassuring.

Since we've been to the Atlantis many times, we haven't decided what to do here in the Bahamas. My wife and daughter are thinking a shopping excursion may be the ticket. Let me know if anyone has questions and I'll try to log back in tonight or tomorrow a.m.

Mark

Is the Mariner in port with you?

Wondering if they too, are going to possibly return to Port Canaveral a day late?

What happens to the passengers waiting to board on Sunday? Do they lose a day of travel? Seems like travel insurance is a valuable thing at the moment...

Quick update from the Explorer..... we are docking right now. I see four other ships already docked in port. Right now, we're expected to be here overnight and tomorrow, leaving around 5 or 6 p.m. However, there is some speculation that the Captain may not take us back to Miami on Sunday, depending upon the storm. Boy would we hate to have to do another day on the ship (not). I guess it would make travel on Monday somewhat dicey but we're willing to give it a try.

Getting into Nassau has been fine. We had a little rolling this morning but nothing like Monday. Clo is still the cruise director and she's done a really nice job both with the regular CD role but also explaining what's what and why. The captain, an Argentinian and youngest captain in RC's fleet, has been great. Both yesterday and today he has held conferences with powerpoint presentations, etc. explaining the storm, the ship, etc. etc. While we didn't attend either, we've heard they were very informative and reassuring.

Mark

That's good to hear. RCI must be emphasizing the need to communicate with passengers whenever situations such as this arise. It certainly helps eliminate much of the worry and the unfounded rumors that would otherwise abound. One of the biggest complaints I have heard about airlines and cruiselines is their failure to provide their passengers with timely and accurate information. Nice to know that someone out there is listening and doing the right thing. Kudos to Clo and your captain. As I said earlier we had a similar experience on Brilliance of the Seas and it really helped everyone deal with the situation. :)

Is the Mariner in port with you?

Wondering if they too, are going to possibly return to Port Canaveral a day late?

What happens to the passengers waiting to board on Sunday? Do they lose a day of travel? Seems like travel insurance is a valuable thing at the moment...

Mariner is scheduled to be in Nassau tomorrow. Can't imagine how crowded Nassau is going to be.

Considering that Nassau is almost due east of Miami, returning to either Miami or Port Canaveral shouldn't be affected, although the trip won't be completely smooth. NASA is saying that based on current predictions, they do not expect Port Canaveral to be significantly impacted.

Tropical Weather Update

July 8, 2005 12:30 p.m.

Miami - Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Dennis to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, as well as to ensure our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concerns of Royal Caribbean International.

Given Hurricane Dennis' current location and projected path, we have altered the itineraries of four Royal Caribbean International ships. We will update this information at about 5:30 p.m. today.

ALTERED ITINERARIES

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami:

Explorer of the Seas is sailing a modified itinerary, making a port call in Nassau, Bahamas, today and Saturday; and returning to Miami Sunday, as scheduled.

UPDATE: WEEKEND SAILING OUTLOOK

Based on current storms projections, Royal Caribbean International expects all ships scheduled to return to South Florida ports to arrive and depart on Saturday and Sunday as originally scheduled. Therefore, guests scheduled to depart on Navigator of the Seas leaving the Port of Miami and Empress of the Seas leaving Port Everglades on Saturday, as well as guests booked on Mariner of the Seas leaving Port Canaveral on Sunday, should proceed to their respective ports for boarding as planned. Guests are encouraged to check with their air carriers to determine if their flights into South Florida airports are running on time.

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean International ships are being affected by tropical weather. We will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information at 5:30 p.m. today.

Kruzfamily,

Thanks for the updates! We were wondering what was happening to the ships...and also to Grand Cayman. We have friends there and were not able to contact them by phone today.:confused: Hope that doesn't mean Dennis has already torn up the phone lines! Hopefully they are just busy from people trying to let friends and family know whats going on. Did you by chance hear anything on the ship about the weather conditions in Grand Cayman? We are just curious.

I hope you are enjoying your time on the Explorer! We sailed on her in January and LOVED IT! Are Rockin' Rob and Steve-O still on the CD staff? They were HILLARIOUS! Keep the positive attitude and stay safe! (eat lots on the buffet for me too :D )

We are on the Mariner right now as well. Everyone seems to be having a good time. I have heard that some people were very dissapointed but it seems that most people are making the best that they can of it. The ship is beautiful! We're having a great time! I will have a full update when I return home so it should be up around Monday or Tuesday.

PrettyLA...you are on the Mariner now? How is your cruise so far? Were there any ports that you couldn't make because of the hurricane? Where are you spending your last 2 days? How is the weather? Get back safely! We're on the Mariner on 9/4 and counting down the days!

Kathy

Just went to RCL website and no new news on the 5:00 press release. States all ships will leave port as scheduled.

Good news for those leaving Sat. and Sun.

Good luck and enjoy whereever you get to go.

Tim & Crystal

We saw the Drifters on the AOS in December, it was a great show. Enjoy your time in Bahamas, too bad you couldn't go to Cocco Cay probably too close to the storm.

Thanks for your report and safe travel home.

PrettyLA...you are on the Mariner now? How is your cruise so far? Were there any ports that you couldn't make because of the hurricane? Where are you spending your last 2 days? How is the weather? Get back safely! We're on the Mariner on 9/4 and counting down the days!

Kathy

Mariner is also diverted to Nassau. Looks like they missed both Thursday and Friday's ports so she could get out of the Western Caribbean ahead of Dennis

Is the captain on your voyage Captain Zini? We had him on the Grandeur last year and I agree, he kept us informed daily. We really enjoyed learning about the cruise from him. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.:)

Archived