Disembarking prior to last port: how to?

OMK&Belladonna

Do you see the exception to the exception noted in bold? There are qualified U.S. vessels available as there is a ferry service transporting passengers between Puerto Rico and San Juan. Thus, the bizarre provisions of the PVSA apply and that's why the OP can't do it.

Certainly you don't mean ferry service between Puerto Rico and San Juan, right?

There is no ferry service between St. Thomas and Puerto Rico if that's what you meant.

Too late, but I received confirmation from X that disembarking at STT does not violate the PVSA and that no fines will be incurred.

I just called back again after reading your response and was told it's not possible. I asked for a reason as to why it's not possible to which I received it violates a federal law.

By chance are you or anyone in your party not US passport holders? In my mind that's the only reason I assume you're getting a yes and we are getting a no. We are US passport holders.

I won't try to fight it any further. We are taking the no and booking a flight from San Juan to St. Thomas simply to ease our minds and be certain we can attend our own wedding! Ha!

By the way, I see we are sailing the same cruise on December 14th, which happens to be when you are getting off in St. Thomas. I saw you posted on our Cruise Connection Roll Call. I suppose we could see your experience on that cruise, but we were seeking to depart in St. Thomas while on a different cruise next year.

Edited by OMK&Belladonna

OMK&Belladonna, do not give up hope so quickly.............

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports

—46 U.S.C.

§ 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

I certainly do not want to violate the PVSA, nor do I want to get billed $300pp for "jumping the ship". However, I did find this under "exceptions", maybe this is why X approved my disembarkation request?

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

:confused: But this only repeats what I posted previously in message #9.

I was hoping you had found an additional source that would clarify the matter of whether or not "qualified" U.S. vessels are available.

It is not surprising that two people received different answers.

We have seen this happen so many times before.

That is why people often post on Cruise Critic that if you don't like the answer you get the first time, try again and hope you reach someone else the next time who gives a different answer. ;)

All of my disembarkation correspondence with X was via email once the Celebrity Vacation Planner gave me that group's email address. I emailed them twice and both times they told me I was approved. So I seriously doubt that it violates a federal law. But, if it does, I will have my emails handy!;)

My wife and I are both US citizens with valid passports.

Sorry but I didn't see post #9 PVSA detail until after I had posted. I'm not sure why one person would be told no and another yes, but apparently it's more common than it should be...

I contacted Celebrity a couple days ago and was informed we would not be able to do this on our itinerary.

Was this all verbal? If so, go the formal written request route. Several years aro we cruised with a family that lived on St. Croix. Our cruise was rt San Juan. They boarded in San Juan and disembarked in st. Croix, the day before the cruise ended for the rest of us in San Juan.

Was it allowed due to residency? Who knows

• 5 months later...
All of my disembarkation correspondence with X was via email once the Celebrity Vacation Planner gave me that group's email address. I emailed them twice and both times they told me I was approved. So I seriously doubt that it violates a federal law. But, if it does, I will have my emails handy!;)

My wife and I are both US citizens with valid passports.

Sorry but I didn't see post #9 PVSA detail until after I had posted. I'm not sure why one person would be told no and another yes, but apparently it's more common than it should be...

Now that I have finally received in writing permission to disembark in St. Thomas, can you share what your experience was with disembarking early here? Was it communicated with ship staff or did you have to show them the confirmation you received? Did you have to get off at a certain time? Any information you can share would be great.

BTW, did you take the Celebrity excursion to St. John that morning? Essentially just a ferry boat ride to St. John. I recall seeing a couple on the ferry boat with their luggage that morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app