Is Funship Freddy Retiring?

ATHENA3

Yeah, I do find Funship Freddy really creepy but he represents the cruise line far better than a towel animal mascot. Until I see an official notice that he's being retired, I'm just gonna cut this off as a rumor. I've been on 2 cruises where I never seen him and on my third cruise, I did not see him until he popped out of nowhere at the past guest reception waiting until almost everyone was wasted on the free booze before he made his strike. If it's true, I'm going to miss him standing over me in my cabin while I sleep, staring down at me with those evil eyes and smile. :(

From someone who posted this in another topic. DSC_3895.JPG

The big question is, Will Carnival send Funship Freddy for a $155 million dollar makeover, change his name and reintroduce him as a brand new mascot? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I do find Funship Freddy really creepy but he represents the cruise line far better than a towel animal mascot. Until I see an official notice that he's being retired, I'm just gonna cut this off as a rumor. I've been on 2 cruises where I never seen him and on my third cruise, I did not see him until he popped out of nowhere at the past guest reception waiting until almost everyone was wasted on the free booze before he made his strike. If it's true, I'm going to miss him standing over me in my cabin while I sleep, staring down at me with those evil eyes and smile. :(

From someone who posted this in another topic. DSC_3895.JPG

AAAAAACK! Now I'm going to have nightmares tonight! :eek: Just look at those evil eyes and mouth!

On our last cruise Freddy bumped into me at the top of stairs and sent me heads over tail down the steps. ( I realize it must be hard to see in those costumes).

On the other hand, our room steward was not a fan of towel animals and we only recieved a couple of them over 7 days.

Therefore, no Freddy and a chance to see a towel animal would be better in my book.

My daughter was just asking about Freddy today. She has had a picture with him every cruise since she was 3, she is now 11, but she was telling me that on the past few cruises she hardly saw him. Apparently he used to make quite a few appearances at camp carnival but she noticed he has not been around much on recent cruises. Will be interesting to see what the replacement is if not the towel elephant.

I saw Funship Freddy on my first cruise, surrounded by a group of passengers. I was trying to point him out to my sister and for the life of me could not remember his name so it came out of my mouth as, "Look, there's Freeloading Freddy!" I knew it started with an F! To this day, that is one of the stories her son asks her to tell him again and again. LOL The kids are going on their first cruise with us in Nov. and they are looking forward to seeing "Freeloading Freddy"!

On our last cruise Freddy bumped into me at the top of stairs and sent me heads over tail down the steps. ( I realize it must be hard to see in those costumes).

On the other hand, our room steward was not a fan of towel animals and we only recieved a couple of them over 7 days.

Therefore, no Freddy and a chance to see a towel animal would be better in my book.

I saw your story a year or so back. You had the worst experience with Funship Freddy out of anyone. You are lucky you got out of it alive and he didn't kill you right then and there with a knife! LOL!

I don't see towel animals as being just a Carnival item though. We have had towel animals at several AI resorts over the years. I've also seen them on other cruise lines.

If they go with something so generic as a mascot they might as well just rent any costume available.

I never much cared for him myself and I really don't like mascots from any company or organization' date=' but that is just me. However, you have to admit, Freddy is a lot better than the mascot he replaced. John Heald said he was nicknamed "the noid"

[/color']

Freaky_Mascot.jpg

Now THAT's scary!!