Another Allure Review ~ 9/22/2013

flyawayca

Thanks for the review. We were on this sailing and you have helped with the withdrawal symptoms. On the other hand, it makes me wish we were still on board. The only thing you cannot convey is the HEAT! It was a great trip. We have a short New Year's cruise booked. Maybe we will survive until then.

I'm going through some serious withdrawal symptoms myself!

Yes! That heat! I heard we had 120% humidity our first few days. I'm from California, I barely even know what humidity is! Lol

Enjoy your new years cruise! In trying to figure out what to book next. Right now we don't have anything planned until 2015... I can't wait that long! Hmmm decisions decisions.

Sent from my XT1058 using Forums mobile app

We are going on Allure the end of October. I have booked Giovanni's grill for lunch on the first day right after boarding. I am going with a group of people and they are planning on going for dinner on another night. My question is (Finally, I know) is there another place you (or anyone else) could suggest to go for a QUIET lunch. We would rather not do the buffet the first day. Way too crowded. Our last cruise on X Silhouette we ate lunch at an outside/inside type bistro and we were the only ones there. It was so relaxing.

Any of the specialty restaurants are your best bet for a quiet lunch the first day. All of the complimentary places are packed. My group was able to get an outdoor table in central park at the park cafe before the major crowds but once most the people board the ship there were no more tables available. So the time you board could be a factor. We had a good table, but we were lucky.

The buffet will be the worst spot. There and the promenade restaurants. Park cafe and the Wipeout Cafe are really the best free options. I didn't go to the Wipeout Cafe the first day but I never saw it busy any other day. I think people forget about it because it's directly below the windjammer.

Hope that helps. Hopefully someone else can chime in with what they experienced.

Sent from my XT1058 using Forums mobile app

Edited by flyawayca

We are going on Allure the end of October. I have booked Giovanni's grill for lunch on the first day right after boarding. I am going with a group of people and they are planning on going for dinner on another night. My question is (Finally, I know) is there another place you (or anyone else) could suggest to go for a QUIET lunch. We would rather not do the buffet the first day. Way too crowded. Our last cruise on X Silhouette we ate lunch at an outside/inside type bistro and we were the only ones there. It was so relaxing.

I would stick with what you have planned. It will be yummy, We went for dinner, and had a table outside at the edge of Central park. Very nice. ;)

It's time for Chankanaab! My new favorite place ever! I hate to tell people about it because I don't want it to get crowded :p

Chankanaab National Park is located in Cozumel, Mexico. It is a very short drive from the International Pier. It took only about 5 -7 minutes to get to Chankanaab after getting into the taxi.

If you go to Chankanaab, take a taxi. Don't pay for a ship excursion. You will save a lot of money this way. You can by your tickets to get into Chankanaab in advance online, or just buy them the day you arrive at the park.

The cab ride cost $11.

There is so much to do at Chankanaab, no matter what you like to do you can do it here. Swim with dolphins, watch the sea lions, snorkel, go kayaking, scuba diving, swim with manatees, look at all sorts of animals, go to a tequila factory, see Mayan ruin replicas, eat at restaurants, walk the trails, shop and coming soon zip lining! I'm sure there is even more.

There is no way you could do everything Chankanaab offers in one day.

6297b28c-4a71-4ac1-9898-08faca3f0982.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Just a side note here...

On our way to Chankanaab we saw a really terrible scooter accident. The people riding the scooter hadn't even gotten a half mile away from the pier.

I don't know exactly what happened but it was bad. I could see it was tourists.

Here on CC I read that it was two people from my ship and they were life flighted to Florida in critical condition. I don't know how they are now but I just want to tell people to please be very careful and think twice about renting scooters. You may be be fine on them back at home but the roads in Cozumel are terrible they are in bad condition. The drivers in Cozumel are crazy and pass without much thought. It's not the same as home. Be careful!

Okay off my soapbox...

Edited by flyawayca

At Chankanaab Park you can watch a sea lion show.

The sea lions are adorable and so smart. They are like dogs in their intelligence and being able to do tricks.

The show is done in Spanish and English. At times it can be hard to follow just because they go back and forth between the languages so quick. But it's not that big of a deal and the show is fun enough to enjoy.

At the end of the show anyone who wants gets a chance to be kissed by a sea lion. You are not able to get pictures of this yourself, but they have a staff photographer there to take a picture that you can buy. With how cheap it is to enter this park I think the higher photograph prices are acceptable. If you want lower photograph prices then they would have to raise the park prices. I prefer the lower entrance fee.

You can also buy the sea lion encounter. This gives you a chance to get up close to the sea lions and learn a little more than what the show taught you.

9138568f-9386-4367-983e-1a8fc34ffcbf.jpg

Meet Carla:

69dff628-d7c4-41e5-a081-ecefa17b85b5.jpg

5a2b35ad-63c8-4f95-8265-ad0108239080.jpg

924dd82f-bd56-4478-8a8c-20791304240b.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Want to swim with the dolphins? Do it here!

They have a really large area where you can swim with the dolphins. They also have smaller areas if you just want to touch the dolphins.

Don't want to actually get in the water with the dolphins? They have regularly scheduled tour times they walk you down and around the pier introducing you to the dolphins and teaching you about them and how they care for them. You even get to see the babies! Times for these tours are posted on the same sign showing the sea lion show times.

Included with the FREE dolphin tour (no touching) you also get to see the Manatees and Sting Rays.

Absolutely no cameras are allowed on this tour.

Here is the area the dolphins are kept, and a picture I got of two people in the distance doing the dolphin swim:

eda43bdb-7374-4cc9-a343-c0db512a0eed.jpg

6f451436-b9ab-442a-bcd3-9976926b2929.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Do you just like to be lazy and lounge around on the beaches on your vacation?

This is another great place for it!

The beaches are beautiful and the sand is nice. Find a palm tree and a lounger and relax!

931fc5a6-2bfa-41b6-8a97-920779341d64.jpg

8af7068d-ac5c-4daa-a20b-e60d9c2b041e.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Do you like to walk around and see the sights?

Check out the walking trails they have. Very nice! Follow them around the lagoon. You will see lizards, iguanas, fish and more.

Make sure to take a look in the lagoon. All sorts of fish in there. We even saw a puffer fish!

17e92f83-77b6-4e6e-88e3-ee91dfad5474.jpg

589aac30-d353-4bbf-915b-910a16fada7a.jpg

6c977a03-6e88-4b58-a455-bff8ceab5355.jpg

48b96d6a-06c2-4498-97ab-5448f12667a3.jpg

Towards the back of my last picture you can see the wire laying on the ground. That's for the new zip line they are building :)

Edited by flyawayca

Food! Oh how I love it :D

Here at Chankanaab you have many choices.

Right at the entrance are two restaurants. One indoor, one outdoor. The indoor one has a buffet for $16pp. You get a wristband and it is good all day. It includes unlimited food and sodas. I looked at the options and they were okay, nothing fancy, but if you stay all day you can easily get your moneys worth.

Instead of those two restaurants I opted to try the big open air restaurant near where you snorkel. I had heard about the sampler platter there thanks to Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor and wanted to try it out. I'm happy I did! Delicious!

6efa8705-a3be-499d-b734-34bbea9bc4c8.jpg

485d1483-26d6-417d-a4d2-f6c1f6caa182.jpg

7becb4ce-8990-4c26-8df7-5caf5a2fe6b8.jpg

And of course because I am in Mexico I had to get Mexican Coke. The best Coca-Cola ever...

0c867568-4a43-40c0-9c29-79cdff740d9c.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Another good reason to walk the trails???? To see the crocodiles!!!

I didn't even know they had crocodiles here. We discovered them by chance. I bet many people don't realize they are towards the back of the trails. I only ever saw a handful of people make it back this way.

d4095484-c3c1-4842-935b-fbdc268a5a01.jpg

f352bce9-8e26-4841-a735-4d27472c32d6.jpg

e3cb40d8-7b9a-4e0b-82b8-6b9f3502d667.jpg

f40baa36-2e8e-4644-83c3-46b151021fc8.jpg

What I didn't like is that there were no staff back here. I guess that made people feel like they could do whatever they wanted. Some guy (an adult even) was back here banging on the cages trying to get the crocodiles riled up. I wanted to smack him.

Edited by flyawayca

Here is where you can do the Tequila Tour. Sadly we had run out of time and didn't get to see it.

d0b1aa1c-c68d-45c0-97b1-6fa9be0dd4da.jpg

And this is where you can see the Mayan Ruin relics. We didn't have time to make it in here either. :(

146188d0-fe30-459f-9ebd-8cf11ce78bff.jpg

a13819f3-0938-418d-a098-451e8601bc0e.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Hi,

I just saw this, I was on your sailing, but not sure if we met! If we did, I apologize I have a terrible memory! Awesome Review! I just started mine - didn't realize sorting through the pictures would be such a pain!

Thank you! The picture sorting is a pain isn't it?? haha. I think I took over 1,000 pictures.

I don't think we met. I wasn't able to make it to the Meet and Mingle during this cruise. And missed the events set up by the roll call. Not trying to be unfriendly, but our group was just so busy checking out this amazing ship. :)

I'll be sure to look for your review. I'd love to re-see this ship through someone else's eyes :D

The artwork on the Allure is just incredible.

I love art and I could just spend days on the ship just looking at everything it has. I'm sure I didn't even see half of it. They have touches of art everywhere. I think the statues were my favorite.

b10fee79-68c2-4108-aa91-c5f5af2f43a6.jpg

a3915a20-0523-4d3c-a7ff-525b4402d31d.jpg

aba8723b-212a-413a-9815-f90ecd92b963.jpg

543d8f19-6098-4db6-9dcb-045b353f7383.jpg

efd015d9-d5c0-45a7-8bf1-3cd98c3253d5.jpg

This picture is really neat. It's actually made up of small pieces of famous works of art. The most noticeable is the very top middle piece, it is part of Van Gough's The Starry Night.

63cb9789-e56a-4e9d-b399-2a14d5c80243.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Chankanaab looks and sounds wonderful! Do the various activities there need to be scheduled ahead of time or can you just go there and do whatever you choose on the spot?

Also wondering what you experienced as far as crowds on the ship.... is it a crowd of people everywhere you go, waiting for an open table at the restaurants, a chaise by the pool, etc?Getting anxious for our June 29 sailing!

Chankanaab looks and sounds wonderful! Do the various activities there need to be scheduled ahead of time or can you just go there and do whatever you choose on the spot?

Also wondering what you experienced as far as crowds on the ship.... is it a crowd of people everywhere you go, waiting for an open table at the restaurants, a chaise by the pool, etc?Getting anxious for our June 29 sailing!

Chankanaab is wonderful! It was a last minute decision for me (I was the planner for the group) and it was the best decision I have ever made for a cruise excursion. My whole group loved it there. And now I am positive any future trips I take to Cozumel will find me at Chankanaab. Geez, am I over selling it? haha

Most activities do not need to be scheduled. The sea lion show and the tour showing you the dolphins they do on a set schedule. You just show up at the time posted. (You find the posted times by the swimming pool - or just ask a staff member). Snorkeling, swimming, eating, crocodiles, walking the trails, tequila tour, and ruins are all self done. Show up whenever you want!

The only things you may want to book in advance is the dolphin, seal lion, or manatee encounters. Those could sell out. However, I did see many people show up the day of and sign up for spots when they first got there. For the most part you will probably be okay doing that just make sure you sign up right when you get there. Otherwise just sign up online in advance.

The zip line wasn't open yet. It was still being built when I was there so I'm not sure about that yet. But I bet you could sign up day of as well.

As for the cruise ship...

I was incredibly impressed with how well they did. Boarding the ship was the fastest I have ever boarded. It was incredible. The only times it ever felt busy was walking on the promenade after first boarding because people, like me, we so amazed by the ship and kind of jam packed the area. One time when they were doing dance classes in the promenade. The only other time it felt busy was immediately after a major show, like Chicago, got out. Otherwise the place felt even emptier than smaller ships I have been on. RCCL did an amazing job designing this ship. It rarely feels crowded.

I did notice chair hogs on the lido deck. I didn't use the pools myself but the hogs were in full force. The first sea day was the only day I didn't see every chair taken by 10am. The other days you could find many available loungers, just none of the ones by the pool.

What my group kept commenting on was how we busy Labadee was. Labadee actually felt busier than the ship ever did. I couldn't believe all those people on Labadee were on my cruise!

You will definitely enjoy your cruise in June! :D

Chankanaab is wonderful! It was a last minute decision for me (I was the planner for the group) and it was the best decision I have ever made for a cruise excursion. My whole group loved it there. And now I am positive any future trips I take to Cozumel will find me at Chankanaab. Geez, am I over selling it? haha

Most activities do not need to be scheduled. The sea lion show and the tour showing you the dolphins they do on a set schedule. You just show up at the time posted. (You find the posted times by the swimming pool - or just ask a staff member). Snorkeling, swimming, eating, crocodiles, walking the trails, tequila tour, and ruins are all self done. Show up whenever you want!

The only things you may want to book in advance is the dolphin, seal lion, or manatee encounters. Those could sell out. However, I did see many people show up the day of and sign up for spots when they first got there. For the most part you will probably be okay doing that just make sure you sign up right when you get there. Otherwise just sign up online in advance.

The zip line wasn't open yet. It was still being built when I was there so I'm not sure about that yet. But I bet you could sign up day of as well.

As for the cruise ship...

I was incredibly impressed with how well they did. Boarding the ship was the fastest I have ever boarded. It was incredible. The only times it ever felt busy was walking on the promenade after first boarding because people, like me, we so amazed by the ship and kind of jam packed the area. One time when they were doing dance classes in the promenade. The only other time it felt busy was immediately after a major show, like Chicago, got out. Otherwise the place felt even emptier than smaller ships I have been on. RCCL did an amazing job designing this ship. It rarely feels crowded.

I did notice chair hogs on the lido deck. I didn't use the pools myself but the hogs were in full force. The first sea day was the only day I didn't see every chair taken by 10am. The other days you could find many available loungers, just none of the ones by the pool.

What my group kept commenting on was how we busy Labadee was. Labadee actually felt busier than the ship ever did. I couldn't believe all those people on Labadee were on my cruise!

You will definitely enjoy your cruise in June! :D

Thanks so much for all the info. And, yes, I had wondered about the ports, too, especially when there's multiple ships in port. You've done a great job on this review! Thanks!

That's it for Chankanaab! Let me know if you have any questions :D

Hi there,

I'm from the northern part of California and my family and I are doing the western caribbean on FOS later this month and will be going on Allure in the spring. The airfare on Southwest to MCO and FLL is quite pricey right now for our spring vacation. It's costing us $339 pp for just our outgoing flight and that's the "sale" price.

A question about Chankanaab......

There are 3 other ships scheduled in Cozumel with FOS. I'd like the activity offered at Chankanaab, but I'm afraid it'll be packed. Were there other ships in port when you visited? If so, did you find it terribly crowded or did the admission fee dissuade people from visiting?

Your review has been awesome. Thanks for the reviews and pictures!

As I am sure most of you are aware already the Allure has a Starbucks located on the Promenade deck (deck 5).

The prices are your standard Starbucks prices. I was actually surprised to see they did not charge airport prices. But then again, that may depend on where you live.

I was sad to see that they sold out of the Pumpkin Spice Latte mix by day 3. No PSLs for me :(

I'm one of "those" people who only drink Starbucks coffees. I don't know what it is they do, but their mochas and lattes are the only ones I seem to like.

And guess what, this Starbucks accepts Starbucks giftcards!!

4446a4a5-992f-4758-8e3c-256ddd3a28f2.jpg

Wonderful review!

Making me really excited to get back on the Allure in January.

Just wondering if anyone knows if Starbucks accepts CANADIAN gift cards?

Thanks so much

Brenna