Price of airfare in June 2014

Caribbean Sunset

I am wondering the same thing. I am considering the Valor also for June 2014. Can't see a few of the airline schedules past April yet so not sure what to do. I'm looking for airfare from either Tampa, Jacksonville or Orlando. My best guess is we should be able to get it for around 200-250 each. The few airlines I have seen prices for are showing 350-400 each. Since it is so far out, the prices surely will go down.... I hope.

Tina

Remember that Southwest flies nonstop from Atlanta to San Juan, but reservations usually open a few months before departure.

Sign up for Southwest alerts and be ready to buy your tickets on the first day that tickets go on sale for your desired date.

We live in Atlanta and when we sailed to Alaska in June, I had been pricing out airfare on other airlines. They were all in the $500-$600's. On the day that Southwest opened up reservations for our dates, I was able to score nonstop roundtrip tickets to Seattle for $278 per person! :D. You do have to move FAST. I checked the Southwest website the next day and tickets had more than doubled and were more expensive than any other airline for the same dates. :eek:

We are traveling to Puerto Rico for Christmas/New Years this year and we scored tickets at a reduced price the same way.

We just paid 483 per person from DTW-SJU April 5/13)on AA. We have been a longtime Delta customer but they are and have been almost double. We were going to wait for Southwest schedule to come out but had expected them to be $450. Of note, make sure you check all fare classes....our AA flights are First class down and back with luggage then included, and was cheaper than same flights coach. The next day it was up almost 4x the price and has settled at double what we paid.

From where you are I would really pay attention to JetBlue.

We flew United to San Juan last July. I purchased the tickets before final payment on the cruise was due (so probably 2 1/2 - 3 months before). United (non-stop--IAH-SJU) had the lowest fare for us at that date, around $425 pp. We considered Southwest, but was higher, even figuring free bags. We also chose to fly in day of and United had the best times. I think you have to be on board by 8:30. Our flight arrived around 4 PM and we took the Carnival transfer. I think as mentioned SW can have some really good prices you just have to watch for them. You will love the itinerary, definitely our favorite!

You can't compare fares of this year to the ones next year. Expectations are prices will raise about 5% (with peeks to 10% on some routes). Keep checking prices regularly on a daily basis and you'll get a good indication of what the go-to prices are for that period. If there's a sudden drop, jump into it. But on the other hand, chances are, it raises tremendously as well. In that case, you had a strike of bad luck and need to look for other carrier. If you're happy with a deal, buy it. If not, take the shot and wait it out.

Asking what people paid for travel last June to evaluate next June isn't useful. It's like asking what I paid for a stock to figure out what it might be worth a year later.

Since you're gambling on SWA, a better guideline is look up the fares on other airlines for next June. That too, is a crapshoot, but a better one than using historic info. It's even more of an issue on SWA as their fuel costs increase and get priced into future fares.

We're booked on the Jewel of the Seas for the 05/24/14 sailing. When I saw the fares from ATL to SJU for our dates, I was afraid the airfare was going to cost more than the cruise! :eek: I was too impatient to wait for Southwest to publish their fares for May 2014, so I waited until I saw a fare I could tolerate. Fortunately, I was able to grab 3 round-trip tix on American Airlines for $258.40/pp, including taxes. Of course, these are direct (but not non-stop). We are departing ATL at 8:35 AM with a 55 min connection in MIA. We are due to land in SJU at 2:05 PM. That gives us 5 hours to get to the ship, since we booked same-day flights.:eek: Our return flight home doesn't leave until afternoon, so no worries about missing that flight home after the cruise.

Archived