Hurricane this weekend

VJS

I am booked on the Explorer this Sunday, July 9th. Anyone else? From looking at the most recent Hurrican Dennis path, it looks like it will be very close to the Florida Keys. I can't see how any of us who are sailing this weekend will be able to get into the Miami airport Sat. or Sunday, let alone take off on our cruise. Any thoughts from cruisers who have experienced this situation before? Plus it seems pretty scary to purposely be headed to South Florida right now! Trying to stay positive, but it looks pretty bad. Going with first time cruisers. They probably won't want to cruise again!!

yes..keep your eye on the weather forecasts..in touch with TA etc...

Miami deals well with the weather..remember..the Keys evacuate tourists quite frequently cause of the "one road in and out" thing..plus Key West is about 150mi West (SW)of Miami. I hope your cruise goes as planned...I'd rather be on a cruise ship during a hurricane than at home in Sarasota.

I'm in NC for the summer....we decided a few years ago that it's better to be up here where it's cooler and safer...:)

I wish you the best. We were in this situation with Hurricane Jeanne last year. It was difficult and scary, as you say, to fly deliberately into the path of a hurricane. But, we had no choice as RCCI didn't give us an option to reschedule our Saturday cruise until late Friday afternoon. We were already in Miami by then. We had to guage how late we could leave the west coast and still get to Miami before the airport closed. NOS left two days late and went to the western instead of the eastern caribbean. All in all it was very stressful. It helped that we had insurance, which paid for our two-day delay in Miami. Hope all goes well for you this weekend.

We went through this last year, our flight was cancelled and we had to fly into a different city (my husband was on the phone for about five hours) trying to find a flight. We had to rent a van to get to Miami but had to find another hotel since our was evacuated. Top it off our cruise was delayed a day.

To add to the stress, we realized that we had left our front door at home wide open because we took out the luggage out that door but left from the side door (I had to call to find someone to run over and close and lock the door). Then at the airport my husband was detained because he had a gun magazine in his suitcase. My teenage daughter kept saying lets ditch him and go without him.

However, after all that (we also missed a couple ports) we still had a great time. Think positive, it will all work out!

Archived