Northiam

northiam

We are travelling from Australia in January. How far is it from LA airport to Disneyland and from Disneyland to San Pedro where we will board Arcadia, coming from Southampton. Has been suggested we might stay at

Torrance

jennifer

It is about 45 miles from LAX to Disneyland. It can take anywhere from 45 min to 90 minutes for that trip depending on traffic. A shared shuttle may take longer. I would recommend taking a shuttle like Supershuttle. They offer a special deal for Disneyland: http://www.supershuttle.com/Locations/DisneyLandAirportShuttle.aspx This also serves the Disney area hotels for the same price if you are staying overnight there.

You can also take Supershuttle back to San Pedro. Pre-book this.

Unless you are renting a car, I don't see any reason to stay in Torrance; there are no Torrance hotels on the beach, and other than a huge shopping mall (Del Amo) Torrance doesn't offer much else (I grew up there). No hotels in Torrance offer a free shuttle to the pier either.

Most people find that staying right in San Pedro at either the Doubletree or Crown Plaza offers the most convenience and quality hotel stays. Both offer a shuttle to the pier, or it is a short cab ride.

I'm guessing that the OP isn't planning a trip to the beach in January. Way too cold unless you are just wanting to walk on the sand. Also January is in the middle of are so-called rainy season (sometimes we only get a few inches of rain and sometimes 21 or so inches, but usually all between November and March).

I imagine if trying to save money over the pricey DL hotels, try looking in Buena Park (that's where Knotts Berry Farm is, but hotels may be slightly less).

Agree that Torrance is a poor location for both Disneyland and the cruise. Besides Buena Park, there are other areas not too far from DL which have business hotels that are less expensive and avoid the "resort fee" charged at DL-area hotels.

But, a key question....will you have a rental car? I strongly suggest you consider one, you will have many more options and save a lot of valuable vacation time with a car.

I am Northiam's daughter and there was a reason for the Torrance area. We were originally only flying in the day before the cruise and all I wanted to do was rest and hit the shops. Torrance seemed a good location as I found the Del Amo mall with many shops and numerous restaurants and that was my primary reason. It was also quite central between LAX and San Pedro.

Since then, Mum & Dad have decided to gatecrash our holiday (love you guys) and since they haven't visited the States for 45 years they thought some sightseeing might be in order. They have three nights and we have two. I am still in two minds as to whether to go to Disneyland as I have been quite a few times and think I can spend my money more wisely in the shops. :p Since my primary purpose is shopping and sleeping. I think I will stay put but they may decide to stay somewhere else.

I have suggested if they stay DL area they try Best Western PPI as it has a good rate and is really close to the parks. Also thinking of doing a limo/town car transfer as I have done the shuttle round and round and round too many times and don't think I could be bothered again.

Forgot to add that none of us will be driving.

Archived