What the heck?!? Courtesy Hold changing dates?

moesyk4

Ok, some of you are just going to roll your eyes and think I'm an idiot, but I am extremely Type A and have booked all my cruises online, so I know how it works :).

Anyway, when those $369 Promenade rooms were talked about here yesterday, I put two courtesy holds down...one for an October cruise and one for a December cruise. DH was supposed to find out today if he was on track to be hired as a teacher and so that was the difference in dates. I know I triple checked the info, and I also know for sure they were two different dates (and the right dates) because on one reservation, the only PR rooms left were on deck 6 and I couldn't pull up deck 7 or 8 at all as an option, and on the other reservation all 3 decks had rooms available. The only button I clicked on after reserving rooms was the courtesy hold button, so it's not like anything could've changed!

Anyway, I pulled up both today so I could reserve one, and they are both listed for the exact same cruise in September! Everything else is right, just not that. I was baffled, tried calling and they confirmed it and said there was nothing they could do, and now I'm dumbfounded. I don't really want to cruise in September, we've done it before and it's hot as all can be, and I was going to use the C&A savings certificate and book the December one.

I hate to give up the rate, but I'm just confused now...have I gone crazy?

No, you have not gone crazy. I have run into similar experiences if I have two windows or tabs open in the same browser. The cookie to track the website data will sometimes duplicate the other tab or window to the same information on the next page load as the other page or tab.

Happened to me today. I had two browsers open working on two mock bookings. Closed the one I didn't want then hit courtesy hold on other one and it told me my staterooms were no longer available. Looked at image and those staterooms didn't even exist. Looked at top page and it was wrong ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can also use a Private (Firefox) or Incognito (Chrome) window for your second browser session, however multiple Private/Incognito windows will share the same session cookies.

But using different browser programs entirely is the least risky.

I work in ecommerce web development and you don't know how many times I've run into issues like this at work when clients are testing changes to the site that involve cookies.

Rci uses flash player to insert cookies. Clearing regular browsing does not clear out flash player cookies. You have to go to adobe flash player to do that. Be sure you know all your un's and pw's because clearing theses cookies will clear that also

How do you delete your cookies, I know it's easy but just forgot?

Depends on the browser. Generally look in Tools, Options in Firefox; or Tools, Internet Options, General in Internet Explorer.

It happened to me before and I'm not surprised because I am a web developer.

Basically there is a flaw on how the RCCL booking site was coded.

The browser is using a same session even if you opened 2 browsers tabs or windows.

It happened that it used the same session information and it carried over to the other window.

To avoid this, the safest way is to use a different browser when booking 2 cruises at the same time.

Or just avoid opening many windows if you doing critical things like booking online. Do it one booking at a time. Log off first to be sure that your previous session ended, then log in again and go to the next booking.

Hope this helps.

Basically there is a flaw on how the RCCL booking site was coded.

The browser is using a same session even if you opened 2 browsers tabs or windows.

Not really a flaw with the website. It's just the way browsers work. You can't have different sessions running in different browser tabs because cookies are shared across tabs and the server wouldn't know which session to use.

There's a reason why backing out of the reservation system using links provided has a modal popup that then clears out your session and any entered data.

Same thing happened to me..........I put a promenade cabin $369/person on hold for the Freedom for 10/26 on Tuesday. Yesterday when I checked their website the price had gone up so I called right away to book it and use my Next Cruise Certificate. After going thru all the steps and being on the phone for about 1/2 hour I told the girl that I also had a Savings Certificate to use. She tells me it expired the day before. I told her it was on the list again for 10/26/14 and she said but your sailing on 9/14/14!!!! I was like "No I'm not.........I reserved 10/26/14, not September. Well, at that point, there was nothing she could do for me so I cancelled everything and just moved my NCC out to the farthest date that I could until I find something else to book. Price went from $369 to $699 in one day!! I was so angry at myself for screwing up but now that I'm seeing this, maybe I didn't screw up....... I also noticed that the confirmations they sent me did not even have a date in it, just a booking number.

BTW, I didn't have 2 windows open...........I was only booking one cruise.

Ok, some of you are just going to roll your eyes and think I'm an idiot, but I am extremely Type A and have booked all my cruises online, so I know how it works :).

Anyway, when those $369 Promenade rooms were talked about here yesterday, I put two courtesy holds down...one for an October cruise and one for a December cruise. DH was supposed to find out today if he was on track to be hired as a teacher and so that was the difference in dates. I know I triple checked the info, and I also know for sure they were two different dates (and the right dates) because on one reservation, the only PR rooms left were on deck 6 and I couldn't pull up deck 7 or 8 at all as an option, and on the other reservation all 3 decks had rooms available. The only button I clicked on after reserving rooms was the courtesy hold button, so it's not like anything could've changed!

Anyway, I pulled up both today so I could reserve one, and they are both listed for the exact same cruise in September! Everything else is right, just not that. I was baffled, tried calling and they confirmed it and said there was nothing they could do, and now I'm dumbfounded. I don't really want to cruise in September, we've done it before and it's hot as all can be, and I was going to use the C&A savings certificate and book the December one.

I hate to give up the rate, but I'm just confused now...have I gone crazy?

By any chance was this for a cruise on the Freedom?

Patty

Moesyk4,

You know the more I think about us both having this problem and both of our reservations showing a Sept date I'm going to write to RCCL and ask them to check their website. I know the only dates that came up when I was booking was Oct 12 and Oct 26th...........there were no Sept dates???? My search was only for Oct cruises. I'm going to reference this thread to them as well so that they know it didn't just happen to me. I just want to make sure it wasn't a website error.

I made sure I printed mine out after I put them on hold. I just didn't trust the website, and now I am glad that I didn't.

I usually print it too but my printer isn't working. Was away all summer and didn't use it - I think I'm going to have to re-install it.

Patty

Thanks for all the replies! I can't remember now as it has been a few days, but there is a possibility I had multiple browsers open...I never looked at September dates but I know sometimes I've had RCCL default to a random date and I've had to switch it so it could've been a few random happenings at once. Which would make sense if it happened to both of my holds if that other random window was open.

And to the PPer, I agree, it was pretty shabby...I was really looking forward to the December cruise and using the savings certificate as well as having a few extra months to save, it could mean the difference to us as to whether we can even go because we are cruising a bigger cruise in January. I just found it so odd that I got all the way through to the courtesy hold and confirmed multiple times EVERYTHING was correct and then when you push that courtesy hold button it doesn't send you a confirmation, just the booking number.

In either case, thanks for all the tech help from the smarter people :)...I had a similar thing happen when booking the airfare for our January cruise. I was booking the cruise through DH's rapid rewards account as he has all the points on his card and it asked for my rapid rewards number so I pulled up another browser to look it up and input it. When I finished the reservation, it said it couldn't be completed and I realized it had pulled through from the other window and it was now under my rapid rewards number which had almost no points. Now I know, only one browser window!

Thanks for all the replies! I can't remember now as it has been a few days, but there is a possibility I had multiple browsers open...I never looked at September dates but I know sometimes I've had RCCL default to a random date and I've had to switch it so it could've been a few random happenings at once. Which would make sense if it happened to both of my holds if that other random window was open.

And to the PPer, I agree, it was pretty shabby...I was really looking forward to the December cruise and using the savings certificate as well as having a few extra months to save, it could mean the difference to us as to whether we can even go because we are cruising a bigger cruise in January. I just found it so odd that I got all the way through to the courtesy hold and confirmed multiple times EVERYTHING was correct and then when you push that courtesy hold button it doesn't send you a confirmation, just the booking number.

In either case, thanks for all the tech help from the smarter people :)...I had a similar thing happen when booking the airfare for our January cruise. I was booking the cruise through DH's rapid rewards account as he has all the points on his card and it asked for my rapid rewards number so I pulled up another browser to look it up and input it. When I finished the reservation, it said it couldn't be completed and I realized it had pulled through from the other window and it was now under my rapid rewards number which had almost no points. Now I know, only one browser window!

I don't believe I had 2 browsers open. I only searched for Oct cruises and clicked on "details and prices" for the Oct 12 and 26th cruise and then clicked on the 26th and then clicked on interior so I don't understand how the heck Sept 14th came up. I wrote to RCCL anyway for them to make sure nothing is wrong with their website. I just think it's odd that we both put a cruise on hold on the same day and went to purchase it on the same day and we both had Sept dates. That has never happened to me before. Had the date been in the confirmation email, we would have noticed it but your right, only the confirmation # was in the email.

Patty

Keep me posted! It's probably too late for me if they were to extend a courtesy and change it back, but I'm curious...

Oh, I don't think they'd ever change it back but I wanted to let them know they need to fix or upgrade their website because it doesn't always work right. I'll let you know if I hear anything else from them. Last I checked, there weren't even any promenade cabins left for Oct 26th. We both missed out on a great deal!!

Patty

I jumped on the deal right away and booked (or so I thought) promenade cabins on the 10/12/14 and 11/9/14 sailings of the Freedom of the Seas. However, today when I reviewed my reservations, I noticed I didn't have one for 11/9/14. Instead, it now shows 9/14/14. :confused:

Luckily, I still have the 10/12/14 reservation. I don't post much, but I've obtained valuable information from this site and wanted to share my experience just in case it can help moesyk4 and beachbuddy in their discussions with RC. Hopefully RC fixes the problem soon (I really don't think the issue is user error). Just to be safe, in the future I'll probably book with a travel agency instead of via the RC website.

Archived