Going snorkeling or diving????

Hawaiidan

If your planning on going snorkeling or diving on a cruise to the pacific, Asia Red Sea.... Hawaii, then take a few min and please see this great video on how to enjoy your experience with out harming you or the ocean.:D While filmed here in Hawaii ( 3 blocks from my house) it applies to anywhere....

http://forthesea.com/clips/clips-psa.html

Tread lightly, Take only pictures, Leave only good will, kill nothing but time

Ranger HD

Thanks, Dan.

A beautiful video, and a beautiful thought!

The coral reefs of the world are being stressed more than ever, and we need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Not just in Hawaii, but everywhere. Global climate changes are damaging most reef systems. Intrusion of non-native species is endangering native species(lionfish are breeding like crazy and have become a serious problem along the southeast coast of the US after hurricanes in recent years - and people "freeing" their salt water tanks - released too many into the environment/black urchins were a menace on the West Coast of the US where they almost eradicated the conch). Some third world countries are using their close-in reefs as money makers - fishing with dynamite, poaching endangered or severely reduced reef fish species for the aquarium trade, letting too many tourists ignorantly use their resources, etc. Like the elephants, lions and several other African species, eventually the damage is too great and the populations of both flora and fauna dwindle, possibly even to extinction.

If that little yellow/blue/purple/orange box fish were my neighbor I'd be in the water three times a day, just to say hi! But I'd leave him alone, because the world would be a poorer place without him and so many other species like his.

Bravo, Dan, for putting this video in a place where many who do not know the sea may visit and, through ignorance, do damage. It should be required viewing for anyone on a diving or snorkeling tour anywhere in the world.

Great video. The snorkel outfit we used out of Kona had it on their website, too.

Sadly, we saw individuals, and boats, violating the 'don't step on the coral' and 'don't harras the spinner dolphins'.

I hope that the more people learn about corals and the ocean the more they will understand what to do so as not to harm things

I cringe whenever I read..".I like to snorkel where I can stand up". If they knew then maybe they would not do this...

One can hope...

Archived