Ultimate Beverage Package - No Judging :)

llmayhan

Thanks for the info and beverage list it's all very helpful!

Wish we could buy the UBP, but will be sailing during the Spring Break "black out" period. Darn!

I'm new to NCL and will be sailing on the Gem in March.

What does a "blackout" mean? Are we not able to purchase the package during Spring Break? Where is this rule found?

I am getting so frustrated. I book cruises and then certain lines change their policies or I find out about bizarre spring break rules about alcohol packages, a cruise line cancels numerous excursions with no explanation as to why, amenities are taken away after you have purchased and paid for an already overpriced cabana and I could go on and on. It's starting to get ridiculous.

Thanks

I'm new to sailing NCL and will be sailing on the Gem in March.

What does that mean? Are we not able to purchase the package during Spring Break? I am sailing March 8. Will I be effected?

There are several messages in this very thread about it, including dates and a link to better thread, just read this thread from the beginning. :)

In short: No, you won't be able to purchase the package on your cruise.

I'm new to NCL and will be sailing on the Gem in March.

What does a "blackout" mean? Are we not able to purchase the package during Spring Break? Where is this rule found?

I am getting so frustrated. I book cruises and then certain lines change their policies or I find out about bizarre spring break rules about alcohol packages, a cruise line cancels numerous excursions with no explanation as to why, amenities are taken away after you have purchased and paid for an already overpriced cabana and I could go on and on. It's starting to get ridiculous.

Thanks

I agree! I did not hear about the cabana issue? What happened there? We booked one!

I book cruises and then certain lines change their policies or I find out about bizarre spring break rules about alcohol packages

Also, since you altered your post 10 minutes after my reply:

The limitation about NCL's UBP not being sold on spring break has been in effect the whole time UBP has been offered - in case you referred to NCL with "certain lines".

We purchased the Ultimate Beverage Package on the Dawn 09/13 from Boston to Quebec. The package cost was $788.90 ($394.45 per person), including tax and gratuity. We kept all of our receipts and kept track of the actual cost of the drinks. Our total was $987.39. Did anyone else come out "ahead"?

One thing, make sure to go by the guest services desk every couple days to make sure that you are not being charged for any drinks. We had a few that were accidentally charged to our account, but did not have any trouble getting the charges removed.

Hi. Is tax always charged on this package or only if you purchase while still in port?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Hi. Is tax always charged on this package or only if you purchase while still in port?

It depends on the embarkation port. Usually only in port and about 30mins to an hour after departure, but for example Spain is an exception as taxes are collected during whole cruise if the ship doesn't call outside EU tax area (like Epic's West Med itinerary).

Also, since you altered your post 10 minutes after my reply:

The limitation about NCL's UBP not being sold on spring break has been in effect the whole time UBP has been offered - in case you referred to NCL with "certain lines".

I'm sorry Demonyte, I edited my post after I read through this entire thread and learned the dates. I hadn't seen your response yet because I was reading. I was also trying to find the information on the NCL site and I couldn't find it anywhere. I even read the Terms and Condition under the actual alcohol packages. I'll go read the link to the other CC thread.

I'm just getting frustrated because I keep learning so much information, that seems to be hidden by the cruise lines, here on CC. I don't understand why the cruise lines don't make this information obvious on their own websites. I'm generalizing and referring to all of the lines (not singling out NCL) because of issues I've had with other lines as well.

I booked this cruise with NCL after canceling 2 cruises with RCCL because of my frustration with RCCL and now I find out I can't purchase the alcohol package because it is spring break and yet I can't find that information under the Terms and Conditions of the Alcohol Packages on the NCL website.

Not trying to offend anyone, just a bit frustrated.

Yep, I completely understand your point of view. :)

Hopefully you can still have a nice and relaxing cruise with NCL, Gem is a great ship (although I haven't sailed on her but all her three sister ships).

I agree! I did not hear about the cabana issue? What happened there? We booked one!

It's a change with the cabanas on Nellie's Beach with RCCL. You used to get an upgraded buffet on Barefoot Beach with the suite guests and they also provided bottled water. Someone on CC showed everyone that the excursion information had been changed but RCCL never announced it or notified anyone who had already purchased a cabana. Some people purchase cabanas over a year in advance because there aren't that many of them and they sell out so quickly. The customer reps aren't ever informed of any changes so they don't know anything when people call to learn information but now the excursion page has the bottled water included again after that information had disappeared for about a week. No one knows what's going on and you can't get any information from RCCL because everyone gets conflicting information. It gets very frustrating.

Most people don't really care about the buffet...it's just the frustration of the lack of communication and feeling like you pay for something and then you don't get what was advertised at the time you paid for it. They had already raised the prices of the cabanas just last April.

I also agree. There are many things the cruise lines do that are very frustrating. It seems everything they do is mired in all kinds of petty rules, limitations and stipulations. If it weren't for the fact that seeing the glaciers while on a cruise ship didn't make the most sense for Alaska, I probably wouldn't even take this cruise. I'm beginning to doubt if I will ever take another cruise after this one.

As others have said, you ought to be able to purchase the UBP for just one person in a couple, if the other one does not drink. The way they could keep "cheating" on that to a minimum would be to enforce using the card for one drink per person at a time. Sure, some people might go up, get one, give it to the spouse, then go up and get another. But I don't think it would be rampant. They could also have it be a separate card with the holders picture on it, like a Sam's Club card. If they did this, I think even people who "cheated", wouldn't go to excess. Not to condone a couple cheating with it like that, but the cruise line isn't going to go bakrupt over it, either.

I'm sorry Demonyte, I edited my post after I read through this entire thread and learned the dates. I hadn't seen your response yet because I was reading. I was also trying to find the information on the NCL site and I couldn't find it anywhere. I even read the Terms and Condition under the actual alcohol packages. I'll go read the link to the other CC thread.

I'm just getting frustrated because I keep learning so much information, that seems to be hidden by the cruise lines, here on CC. I don't understand why the cruise lines don't make this information obvious on their own websites. I'm generalizing and referring to all of the lines (not singling out NCL) because of issues I've had with other lines as well.

I booked this cruise with NCL after canceling 2 cruises with RCCL because of my frustration with RCCL and now I find out I can't purchase the alcohol package because it is spring break and yet I can't find that information under the Terms and Conditions of the Alcohol Packages on the NCL website.

See the following extract from the NCL website re the UBP :

"These packages are not available on the following sailings:

1 and 2 days sailings

Charter sailings

During Spring Break 1 March and 15 April

On the Pride of America.

For individual Children’s Soda Programmes or Adult & Teen Programmes, that are not required by all stateroom guests, packages are available. Click here for more details.

Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian’s Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Norwegian’s alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation."

Not saying I am happy with it but the info is available on the NCL website, mind you I,didn't notice until after our cruise early April this year:mad:

We purchased the Ultimate Beverage Package on the Dawn 09/13 from Boston to Quebec. The package cost was $788.90 ($394.45 per person), including tax and gratuity. We kept all of our receipts and kept track of the actual cost of the drinks. Our total was $987.39. Did anyone else come out "ahead"?

One thing, make sure to go by the guest services desk every couple days to make sure that you are not being charged for any drinks. We had a few that were accidentally charged to our account, but did not have any trouble getting the charges removed.

Can I ask a personal question? How much did you actually drink? We are trying to figure out if this package would work for us but have come to the conclusion that we would have to drink between 7-10 a day to break even. Can ship board credit be used towards the package?

See the following extract from the NCL website re the UBP :

"These packages are not available on the following sailings:

1 and 2 days sailings

Charter sailings

During Spring Break 1 March and 15 April

On the Pride of America.

For individual Children’s Soda Programmes or Adult & Teen Programmes, that are not required by all stateroom guests, packages are available. Click here for more details.

Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian’s Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Norwegian’s alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation."

Not saying I am happy with it but the info is available on the NCL website, mind you I,didn't notice until after our cruise early April this year:mad:

Thank you for showing me it is posted somewhere. My complaint was thinking it wasn't even posted but I'm glad to know it is...somewhere.

I looked under the alcohol beverage packages information and then under the Terms and Conditions and didn't see it.

I also typically purchase the package for the convenience, just so I don't have to keep track or even worry about a tab at the end of the cruise and it's also nice not having to sign for the drinks after each and every purchase. I guess on my March cruise, I just won't get to sample all of the various concoctions in case I don't like some and feel I wasted money because of throwing some away.

Thanks again.

Can I ask a personal question? How much did you actually drink? We are trying to figure out if this package would work for us but have come to the conclusion that we would have to drink between 7-10 a day to break even. Can ship board credit be used towards the package?

We stay up late, so that was a factor too, usually until at least midnight or 1am. We only had one sea day on this cruise, on that day, we had a mimosa around noon, a few at bingo and then a few before dinner. We usually don't drink at dinner, not sure why! Then we would drink the rest of the night. I drank mostly the drink of the day in the afternoons, and wine and martinis at night. My husband drank mostly beer and few shots here and there. I would estimate that on any given day, I had 5 or 6 glasses of wine and my husband had at least 12 beers. Hope this helps!

I am unable to locate UBP info on NCL website, where should I be looking?! Are you able to buy the beverage packages online in advance or only once on the ship?

Try this link http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Ultimate-Beverage-Package07192013.pdf and you can also do a google search "NCL Ultimate Beverage Package" for more info.

You can buy the package with NCL before your cruise, just call or do it online. Or you can buy it on the ship. Probably faster to buy it on the ship, because I believe you will have to stand in line to get your sticker even if you have booked it ahead of time.

Most likely if you grab a drink or two before you have the sticker, you can arrange to have the drinks taken off your bill. Just be sure the drinks and sticker are purchased on the same day.

My husband and I are sailing on Breakaway 12/1 and this will be our 12th cruise but the first one in 4 years and the first time to my knowledge this beverage package is available to us so we are so excited as we feel this will save us possibly hundreds! Our beverage tab is always around 1000$ for a 7 day!

Hey guys...some questions!

#1 - We are on the 7 day Thanksgiving Epic sailing...I remember on our carnival cruise they actually even counted disembarkation day as a day on their beverage package - does NCL do the same? Anyone know the total for the Ultimate Beverage or the total for the Corks and Caps for a 7 day sailing?

#2 - I don't drink liquor, only beer and wine - but boyfriend does. Anyone know if you can do one ultimate and one corks and caps?

#3 - Are you able to bring on an "unlimited" number of bottles of wine on board? You just have to pay corkage if you open in a restaurant? (I say unlimited...but I'd probably bring no more than 4-6)

#4 - Assuming its better to purchase after we are at sea on Day 1 and don't have to pay taxes while docked in Miami - is this true?

Thank you!!!

I also typically purchase the package for the convenience, just so I don't have to keep track or even worry about a tab at the end of the cruise and it's also nice not having to sign for the drinks after each and every purchase.

On NCL you still sign/get receipt for every drink, they are removed from the final bill though but you need to make sure yourself (preferably before getting the final bill) that all drinks are charged to the UBP and not normally.

You really should read the ultimate UBP thread here on NCL board so you'd get all the details - even though you can't get the package on your cruise. ;)

Archived