Which side of the island?

conchqn

Suebee, Spleen,Hawaiian Eye... We will be cruising Jan. 21st to the 28th. We're planning on doing a few days pre-cruise in Waikiki and would like to do about 5 days post-cruise on the North Shore. What side of the Island would be best that time of year. Any particular town or beach we should consider? Thanks for all your help. It's really appreciated!

Again, it all falls back on what you want to do. The North Shore in January is known for Big Surf. Fun to watch but you don't want to get near it unless you're an expert at swimming in surf. It's not the same as a pool. That is the high season for North Shore housing, leasing, etc. so prices should be higher in places like Haliewa, Sunset Beach, etc.

There's also whale watching that time of year and there's at least one tour boat out of Haliewa. I heard from a friend that it was great last year.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is also up on the North Shore at Laie. It has the best entertainment that represents the pan-Pacific cultures. I'm referring to their evening show. I like the afternoon visits to the different Island exhibits a lot too. There's also an IMAX there. What I don't care for is their food. There's Hawaiian, Japanese, and American but it's bland and not worth the price unless you've never experienced a luau before and want to see whar it's about. I usually go to the Center with a full stomach and then while everyone's eating, I go the the evening show's concession stand and get a hot dog and a coke and a candy bar to tide me over. My point in all of this is that if you stayed up on the North Shore your drive home would be much shorter than if you were staying in Honolulu.

There's some very nice condos at Turtle Bay Resort at Kuilima. Also rentals at Punalu'u, and Kailua. I would try to get out of Waikiki, just to see what the rest of the Island is about. Much less concrete.

But if you want to learn to surf then Waikiki would be good in the winter. And there's more whale watching boats. :cool:

Again, it all falls back on what you want to do. The North Shore in January is known for Big Surf. Fun to watch but you don't want to get near it unless you're an expert at swimming in surf. It's not the same as a pool. That is the high season for North Shore housing, leasing, etc. so prices should be higher in places like Haliewa, Sunset Beach, etc.

:cool:

That's what I wouldve said.....

I was looking at rentals at Sunset Beach, Turtle Bay and Laie. I wasn't sure if the weather or the beaches were better on the windward side or the leeward side or if it didn't really make a difference. As far as surfing, I will only be a spectator, but I would like to go swimming and snorkeling. Thanks for your help.

Given the time of your arrival, I would shoot for the west coast or the south coast to stay if your main interest is swimming and snorkeling. While the views will be spectacular on the North Shore area, you won't really be able to go into the water much on the North Shore in the middle of winter (surf too rough). I might recommend a rental maybe in Kailua/Lanikai area? Maybe even in Makaha area on the west side though the waves can be pretty big in that area as well ...

Spleen

Dammit, Spleen! There you go recommending Kailua/Lanikai again! They won't have any fun at all wandering up and down one of the world's great beaches (swimming, kayaking, and windsurfing like a bunch of fools), hanging out at Kalapawai Market for coffee, going for drinks and dinner at Buzz's or Baci, and generally cluttering up their vacation with the relaxed windward lifestyle. And who wants to have to look at all that scenery (like the Koolaus, Olomana, and the Mokes) anyway? Better they should go to Waikiki where they can see traffic and highrises, buy overpriced umbrella drinks, trip over all the other tourists and take home the same vanilla memories and stories as everyone else. What were you thinking?

Ka Honu - giving away all the secrets...Kailua - oh yeah!

How about Ko'Olina on the west side? Great lagoons and snorkeling and Roys and Golf, and beautiful beaches, secluded. There are shops and spas and nice folks, oh my!

Ka Honu - good to see you around again. ;)

Jackie - I was considering Ko Olina as well but the price is definitely higher and I'm not sure that they have rentals like the OP was asking about. The Marriott time share or the Ihilani are the options, AFAIK.

Spleen

Archived