Upgrade from RCCL Platinum Visa to Signature Visa

• 1 month later...

I chose not to open a new Signature RCCL Visa card because I could not transfer my points to the new card. At the time I wanted to make the change to the Signature Visa card, I read the bank what was written on the RCCL website about upgrading from the old card to the new Signature card. I was told that the website info was incorrect and the bank would have RCCL correct it. Upgrades are not allowed. The only way to get a RCCL Signature Visa is to apply for it. No points can be transferred.

One difference is the new card works for Royal, Celebrity, and Azamara as opposed to only Royal with the old card.

I called BofA to ask if my existing Platinum Plus card will give me double points on Celebrity cruise payments. The customer service rep. took some time but confirmed that my existing card would earn double points on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara cruise line purchases. So apparently you don't need to upgrade to the Signature card to get the double points on the other two cruise lines.

I also asked about upgrading to the Signature card but he did not really know whether I could or not. So I decided not to pursue that since I can get the double points on my upcoming Celebrity payments.

Edited by eel

I called BofA to ask if my existing Platinum Plus card will give me double points on Celebrity cruise payments. The customer service rep. took some time but confirmed that my existing card would earn double points on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara cruise line purchases. So apparently you don't need to upgrade to the Signature card to get the double points on the other two cruise lines.

I also asked about upgrading to the Signature card but he did not really know whether I could or not. So I decided not to pursue that since I can get the double points on my upcoming Celebrity payments.

Thanks for the update. Nice to know we can get the double points without having to change credit cards.

I suggest that you call the RCI Coupon Redemption Center at 1-888-305-4626. You may be able to receive double points with a Celebrity/Azamara transaction, but can you redeem points from your current RCI Platinum Plus and use them on a Celebrity/Azamara cruise?

One is on rental car insurance. I do not believe the original Visa Platinum has this feather for some reason. There might be other advantages as well, unfortunately it still has conversion fees for foreign transactions. I keep a Capitol one card and the New BA visa travel rewards card for that reason.

We do not carry a balance, and the CC for us is just a money tool, to keep from carrying cash, well a lot of cash anyway.