NCL policy change

Umbarger

having to deal with this.....my partner is paraplegic and requires his chair full time, but we consider anyone with any mobility issue equally deserving of the accessible cabins. I hope the line changes it's policy . . . . (snip)

Thank you! I didn't know that it had to be a competition as to who is more handicapped/disabled than whom - and it shouldn't be!

If anyone has a genuine need for an accessible room, that need should be met. There should not be some unqualified person judging who has the greater need and dispossessing someone with what they consider to be a lesser need.

I commend NCL for wanting to weed out the people who are not disabled, but who book an accessible room because they think it will be bigger. However, amongst those with a genuine need, the person who booked first should get the room.

And it is not just people in wheelchairs who need an accessible room. Theoretically, maybe my one-legged son could manage in a non-accessible room, if he crawled on his one remaining leg - but if he booked the room first, he shouldn't have to.

my partner is paraplegic and requires his chair full time, but we consider anyone with any mobility issue equally deserving of the accessible cabins.

See, that's what I (as someone who does not need mobility aids, but who volunteers at facilities where they are in everyday use) was thinking. It seems to me that someone in a wheelchair might be there because of a "stable" issue like paraplegia or an amputation, whereas someone who uses a scooter might need it due to something more "unstable" like a heart condition, where they can perhaps walk a few steps but risk big problems if they overdo it. Who's to say that everyone who uses a wheelchair is "more" disabled than everyone who uses a scooter?

Also, it seems to me that getting into "more disabled than thou" arguments is completely counter-productive. If someone needs an accessible cabin whatever their disability, they should be able to get one whether their disability is "lesser" or "greater".

And those of us who are fortunate enough NOT to need mobility aids shouldn't be judgemental. We don't know first-hand what needing a mobility aid permanently is like, so while we can contribute to the conversation, we shouldn't think we know more about it than those who live it every day.

someone who uses a scooter might need it due to something more "unstable" like a heart condition, where they can perhaps walk a few steps but risk big problems if they overdo it. Who's to say that everyone who uses a wheelchair is "more" disabled than everyone who uses a scooter?

Also, it seems to me that getting into "more disabled than thou" arguments is completely counter-productive. If someone needs an accessible cabin whatever their disability, they should be able to get one whether their disability is "lesser" or "greater"

Thank you! I didn't know that it had to be a competition as to who is more handicapped/disabled than whom - and it shouldn't be!

If anyone has a genuine need for an accessible room, that need should be met. There should not be some unqualified person judging who has the greater need and dispossessing someone with what they consider to be a lesser need.

Thank you both for your reasoned and balanced statements.

I have progressive MS and use a scooter. 'Nuf said.

Marlee

While I applaud NCL's efforts to keep handicapped cabins to those who need them I think they are taking it too far.

My mom can take a few steps with great difficulty and not without the aid of her walker. She has no balance. She uses her scooter most often. However, according to NCL she is not eligible for a handicapped cabin as she is not confined to a wheelchair. This is ridiculous. For her safety she must have an accessible cabin.

I called NCL and asked and yes, they said to book an accessible cabin the disabled person had to be confined to a wheelchair to book the room. Goodness, am I going to have to lie to get my mom the cabin she needs for her safety.

My husband uses his mobility scooter both on and off the ship. He cannot step up (into the shower) even 1 inch, so he really needs the shower in the H/C room. He also cannot walk more than a short distance even with his cane.

He is not confined to a "wheelchair"....

I guess we will not be booking NCL in the future.

Dear Cruise Critic members –

We would like the opportunity to clarify a couple of points on this thread. With regard to the letter we send guests, there are two areas of concern that we would like to highlight.

• Our letter states that bathroom door measurements in our wheelchair accessible rooms range from 34.5 to 63 inches, not 20 to 22 inches.

• Our letter states that if you have a Wheelchair Accessible room and do not have a disability, you may be asked to move, not if you do not have a wheelchair.

We recognize that our guests have varying degrees of disabilities and that just because someone does not have a mobility device it does not mean that they do not need the amenities that the cabin has, such as the grab bars. In addition, if there is a need for amenities such as a sower stool, or a toilet seat riser, we will gladly accommodate that request in any stateroom.

It is very important to us that our guests have the most wonderful vacation possible and we do everything we can to make the cruise experience comfortable, safe, and enjoyable for all guests with disabilities. We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced on this and we encourage anyone who has additional questions to contact our Access Department at 1-866-584-9756 or e mail us at accessdesk@ncl.com

Thank you,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Dear Cruise Critic members –

We would like the opportunity to clarify a couple of points on this thread. With regard to the letter we send guests, there are two areas of concern that we would like to highlight.

• Our letter states that bathroom door measurements in our wheelchair accessible rooms range from 34.5 to 63 inches, not 20 to 22 inches.

• Our letter states that if you have a Wheelchair Accessible room and do not have a disability, you may be asked to move, not if you do not have a wheelchair.

We recognize that our guests have varying degrees of disabilities and that just because someone does not have a mobility device it does not mean that they do not need the amenities that the cabin has, such as the grab bars. In addition, if there is a need for amenities such as a sower stool, or a toilet seat riser, we will gladly accommodate that request in any stateroom.

It is very important to us that our guests have the most wonderful vacation possible and we do everything we can to make the cruise experience comfortable, safe, and enjoyable for all guests with disabilities. We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced on this and we encourage anyone who has additional questions to contact our Access Department at 1-866-584-9756 or e mail us at accessdesk@ncl.com

Thank you,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Thanks for the clarifications, NCL!! It was very nice of you to post to clear up some things for some of us.

You (NCL) are THE most awesome cruise line. :D {not that I am biased or anything - see my signature!)

• 6 months later...

My first ncl cruise was on the gem to bermuda.....took the last minute upgrade to an hc aft suite......it was awesome!....last year it was the dawn in an oceanview hc on deck 8....big picture window you could see out of standing up....cabin very tight.....scooter blocked the desk area but I don't cruise to pay bills or write letters so we just figured it out....glad people are reassured.....