Help with phone please

Loreni

Hello I will need to call the office while in port at Bora Bora and possibly while sailing between Moorea and Tahiti and at port in Tahiti. I do not own a cell phone. Can I buy a prepaid unlocked cell phone, say at Walmart before the trip, and a Vini SIM card from the post office or gift shop in Bora Bora. Then I would have a phone that would work for the trip. I don't want to buy a cell phone with a contract just to make one or two phone calls.

Or can I just call from the phone in my stateroom. While at sea I know this will work and Princess wants 5 dollars per minute (this is OK). But will it still work in port? I plan to make all the calls from my stateroom.

You can setup prior to the cruise with your cell company for international use. Then simply use the ships approved marine provider for about $2.50 per minute.

Or ............. many use Skype via computer and ship wifi

Or ............ you can rent a phone when your get to the Tahiti airport with a pre-loaded Vini card. You simply turn it back in when your returning via th airport. Not sure on the cost but if I recall the price per minute charge was less.

I wouldn't count on a Walmart prepaid phone being unlocked, SIM compatible (GSM), or working on the proper frequency for FP. Your easiest and most foolproof options are the ones just mentioned: ship's phone or rental in Tahiti.

I have a thrifty friend who tried to get a prepaid SIM card to work in a phone he brought to India. He spent several hours trying to get it to work on the Indian cell system. This was all to save a few bucks. In the end, he had to borrow my cell phone to call home. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Archived