Vantage River Splendor what type of cabin key

Haven't been on Splendor yet, but all their other ships they used a regular key, which you turned in to the desk when you left the ship and claimed it when you returned. This was so they would know who was on board and who was not. You must be very close to leaving. Have a wonderful time, I can't wait to hear about your trip, especially from Budapest to the Black Sea since we're doing that in the spring. :D

It's possible but I think using keys is a very easy way for them to know at a glance who's on board and who isn't. And it eliminates the problem of losing your room key while on shore. On my first Vantage cruise I was a little put off by having to "check out" every time I left the ship.....reminded me of college dorm life!! But now with my 7th booked, I understand the reasoning behind it. No lost keys and no lost passengers makes for a happier trip for all concerned!!:D Now turn off your computer and go enjoy the scenery....you're on vacation!!!! (wish I was with you)

Do both husband and wife get one of those 'BIG' keys? I guess they would have to, other wise both of you would have to get off or on the ship together all the time.

Just curious, as we sometimes go to different places depending on what is on offer.

Do both husband and wife get one of those 'BIG' keys? I guess they would have to, other wise both of you would have to get off or on the ship together all the time.

Just curious, as we sometimes go to different places depending on what is on offer.

Hi Strath....actually it works, both of you have a key but what DH and I did was leave one in the room when we left the room but stayed on the ship...when we left the ship we both had to turn them in, which worked because on those occasions when DH would go to one place and I would go to another (which happens fairly often), neither of us was bound to the other to return to the ship..and the purser would know that one of us was back and the other was not. We didn't have to worry about carrying it all day because when we were off the ship neither of us would be carrying it! FYI, if we were both going on the same excursion off the ship, we still both had to turn in our keys upon leaving and while I can't speak to other companies, Vantage was pretty adamant about that.

Well I am on the new ship Splendor and the key is a chip card.

Thanks for the info!! Do you still leave it with the purser when you leave the ship or do you just slide it when you leave and when you return like on the big ships?

Yes you leave it at the front desk and get a card with info on it as well as your head set transmitter ..

Thanks for the update. Are you having fun???? what's the new ship like? have you tried the dining option? that's totally new for vantage and I'm curious how it works.

I can't wait to go! We're doing the second half of your trip: Budapest to black Sea in June. Budapest to Amsterdam was our first river cruise and like so many others, we were hooked!! Hope you post a review and some pictures when you get home.:)

Archived