Orient Beach Crowds and Vendors - Best Alternative?

Lsimon

We've been to Orient beach at least a half dozen times and it has always been one of our favorite places. We usually head over mid morning and get chairs at a mid beach location, like Kakao, for swimming, relaxing on the beach, and a nice fresh seafood lunch.

But on our last couple of trips there have been more and more beach vendors going from chair to chair and up and down the isles of chairs all day. Some don't bother us if we don't ask, but some try to make conversation and slowly work into a sales pitch. I just hate saying no, and hate it even more when I'm rudely ignoring them. At beaches where there is just a couple vendors I don't mind this and will talk to the vendors and politely tell them I'm not interested if that is the case. But at Orient Beach lately we get interrupted way too often and after a while my patience gets thin. We came to the beach to relax and enjoy the sand, sea and sun - not to ship and talk to vendors all day.

Can anyone recommend a beach which is as nice, or an area of Orient, where there are significantly fewer vendors? None would be great but I'm not too optimistic about that.

We always head over to Dawn Beach. Just a short taxi ride from the dock, and very few people compared to orient beach. There is a restaurant and bar, as you approach the beach area. You can rent chairs and umbrella's if you wish. Nice sandy beach,and excellent swimming. There were a couple of locals selling goods but not pushy at all. Check it out.

We've been to Orient beach at least a half dozen times and it has always been one of our favorite places. We usually head over mid morning and get chairs at a mid beach location, like Kakao, for swimming, relaxing on the beach, and a nice fresh seafood lunch.

But on our last couple of trips there have been more and more beach vendors going from chair to chair and up and down the isles of chairs all day. Some don't bother us if we don't ask, but some try to make conversation and slowly work into a sales pitch. I just hate saying no, and hate it even more when I'm rudely ignoring them. At beaches where there is just a couple vendors I don't mind this and will talk to the vendors and politely tell them I'm not interested if that is the case. But at Orient Beach lately we get interrupted way too often and after a while my patience gets thin. We came to the beach to relax and enjoy the sand, sea and sun - not to ship and talk to vendors all day.

Can anyone recommend a beach which is as nice, or an area of Orient, where there are significantly fewer vendors? None would be great but I'm not too optimistic about that.

Have you ever tried Karakter Beach Bar at Simpson Bay beach? Great place and the beach is very long but much quieter than Orient.

...Two words: Yellow Umbrellas.

The vendors rarely pass that invisible line between Pedro's chairs and Orient's Yellow Umbrellas....

Yellow Umbrellas?

Not sure I've ever noticed the colors of the various umbrellas.

Hmmm... are you referring to Club O? Not sure that is for us.:o

Yes, Club Orient. :)

Of course, karysa is correct. Simpson Bay Beach and even Mullet Bay Beach are usually devoid of vendors, and both are very nice.

gary

The area around these looks very developed - especially Simpson backing up to the airport. Do you get the feeling you're in the middle of such a developed area when you're there and is the water and beach as clean as other areas?

The area around these looks very developed - especially Simpson backing up to the airport. Do you get the feeling you're in the middle of such a developed area when you're there and is the water and beach as clean as other areas?

There are some small condos but not many people at all. Other than the area by Mary's Boon/Karakter you can walk 5 minutes on the beach and not come across anyone some days in the summer at least. To me it feels less developed than Dawn and even Orient because of all the beach bars and clothing shacks there. We walked the whole length of the beach and over to Maho and back. It's a great beach for walking.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been to Orient, but I'll second the recommendation for Dawn Beach. It's on the Dutch side, a quick 10 min ride from the dock. There was a restaurant/bar, and cheap lounger and umbrella rentals. There were 4 or 5 other ships in St. Maarten that day, but we saw maybe 10 other people on Dawn Beach. It was really beautiful. The surf was a bit rough, but I think that was a function of the weather (windy, cloudy). There was one vendor making the rounds, but once we said no she left us alone.

I haven't been to Orient, but I'll second the recommendation for Dawn Beach. It's on the Dutch side, a quick 10 min ride from the dock. There was a restaurant/bar, and cheap lounger and umbrella rentals. There were 4 or 5 other ships in St. Maarten that day, but we saw maybe 10 other people on Dawn Beach. It was really beautiful. The surf was a bit rough, but I think that was a function of the weather (windy, cloudy). There was one vendor making the rounds, but once we said no she left us alone.

It's not the day that you visited. Dawn beach is open to the Atlantic and the water is often quite choppy and that's one of the reasons why it's not that popular.