REVIEW: Carnival Valor to Southern Caribbean Oct 6-13, 2013 OUR FIRST CRUISE!

valentinebaby1

I could not remember if you mentioned if you were assigned dining or anytime dining?

We did anytime dining, and will do that option again if we ever get the chance. It was great for us. There's no way we could have ever been ready for dinner on time for early dining, after coming back from the port and showering and sometimes napping before dinner. And late dining would have been too long to wait. We usually went to dinner around 7:00 or so and we never really had to wait. A couple of the nights we had dinner with our new friends we met while on board, and that gave us a lot more flexibility. When we had 10 of us at dinner one night together, we did have to wait a few minutes, but they gave us a pager and we waited in the lobby area and it was not a problem at all. We had dinner in the MDR every night on the cruise.

During the Anytime Dining, did the wait staff perform?

I'm pretty sure we were there during performance time every night but one, which if I remember was the first Sunday, so maybe they didn't even perform that day since there is no set time for dining that day. But I never made a mental note of what time that happened.

Thanks for your awesome review! We got off the Sunshine yesterday and had a long day of driving home. I used that time to read your entire review and I really enjoyed it. I am hoping this will be our next itinerary because it sounds wonderful!

We also have a son with Aspberger's. It has been a struggle but he is 20 now, in college, and he finally decided on a major. Finally. The most heartbreaking thing for me was seeing him struggle through elementary and middle school with no friends. Finally in HS he made a group of good friends and they still hang out together. So don't be discouraged. You'll make it through too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 4 weeks later...

I read your review a month ago or two and really thought that it had alto of good info and pictures. We are taking our 2 adult sons and their wives in 20 some days and will also be in PR 3 days prior to the cruise and am thinking that we will do alto of the things that you did as it sounds really fun. Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent review!! I have over a year to plan for our cruise in early 2015 and getting soooo excited pouring over reviews like tis. My DH and I are more the types that would to an overview tour of each island like you did, so much to think about though!! I was definitely wanting to fly in a day early to SJ, but after reading your review of the rain forest and especially the Bio Bay, we may need another day. I really enjoyed your review and pics and I'm sure I'll be coming back to this thread again! Thanks!! :)

Valentinebaby1 and JKirkN, thank you so much for sharing your review of the Valor. Cruising is an addiction and to me is THE perfect vacation. I sailed on the Valor in 2010 and she was a great ship. If there is a will there is a way, so I have a feeling that you will be cruising again.

In 19 days I am heading to the Conquest for an Eastern Caribbean cruise to Nassau, San Juan, Saint Thomas, and Grand Turk. So I will be at a few of the places that you got to see. This is a girl cruise with some friends from work. One of the ladies has never been anywhere, and just got her first passport.

I just got the okay from my DH to book a 6 night cruise on the Breeze for November! He has never been on a cruise before and I'm afraid that he will be spoiled for any other ship after the Breeze! We have a great Itinerary, I think: Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. So at least I wont have post cruise depression, because I will have another one to look forward to!

It sounds like you had the trip of a lifetime. I wish you both the best. I am addicted to reviews (almost) as much as cruising. I have never attempted one, so committing myself to review the upcoming cruise.

Happy New Years to you both! Lisa

Hello and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and again for the awesome review!

What about parking a car in SJ? Did your hotel offer parking? Was there a charge? Was it difficult to find parking elsewhere?

We really want to rent a car for doing stuff outside of SJ but will likely stay in SJ (because we wouldn't know where else to stay) and are a bit intimidated by all we have read.

Thanks in advance! :)

PS - If anyone reading this has suggestions on a area bordering SJ to stay, where you can comfortably drive and park a rental yet easily get into San Juan and walk or use the trollies, I would really appreciate the tip!

Parking at the Courtyard Isla Verde was $15 per night. They have their own attached garage with a gate entry, which is tied to the hotel/room key.

We walked to the restaurants near the hotel, but I recall seeing paid parking lots nearby, probably because of the nearby beach.

Once we got out of San Juan, we didn't pay for parking anywhere.

We never parked in Old San Juan, we only drove through it but parking there was impossible. I recall seeing some parking garage but I have no idea if it was public or what the cost was.

When we debated renting a car vs. getting a shuttle to the Bio Bay tour (our main reason for renting), we compared the costs:

1. car rental fee (and we consulted with our credit card company and our own insurance company and opted to not take their insurance because of the coverage provided by the credit card we would use and our own insurance). We ended up renting the car for 3 full days for around $80. There was an additional $250 charged to our credit card and refunded as a deposit.

2. Gas...it wasn't much more than the price we were paying at home. We had a midsize, and only filled the tank once. I don't think we put in more than $40 or $50 in gas

3. Parking at the hotel was $15 per night, so the 3 nights of course was $45.

4. Shuttle/taxi--we had a shuttle from the airport to the car rental, and a shuttle from the car rental to the cruise port at no charge

So our total transportation for the 3 days prior to the cruise was about $175.

We compared that to:

1. Taxi from the airport to the hotel would have been around $25 with tip

2. Shuttle to/from the Bio Bay was quoted as $120. It might have been less if we found others to share it with, but that would have been unlikely.

3. Because we had the helicopter ride planned before our cruise, we would have needed a taxi from the hotel to the heliport at approx $25

4. Taxi from the heliport to the cruise port would have been approx $25 (each time with the taxi we would have been paying $1 per piece of luggage, and would have had our luggage with us every time)

So that cost would have been around $195.

It was no brainer for us. Even the slight cost savings in renting a car didn't compare to the freedom we had. We would not have seen the rainforest, Luquillo Beach or had our adventure in the creek/river if we didn't have a car.

If we ever get back, we'll rent a car again without a doubt.

As far as your question about staying outside of San Juan, there are a couple of hotels in the Luquillo Beach area, but I'm pretty sure any decent hotel in Puerto Rico charges for parking.

Thanks for your awesome review! We got off the Sunshine yesterday and had a long day of driving home. I used that time to read your entire review and I really enjoyed it. I am hoping this will be our next itinerary because it sounds wonderful!

We also have a son with Aspberger's. It has been a struggle but he is 20 now, in college, and he finally decided on a major. Finally. The most heartbreaking thing for me was seeing him struggle through elementary and middle school with no friends. Finally in HS he made a group of good friends and they still hang out together. So don't be discouraged. You'll make it through too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have kind of been trying to avoid the forums because hubby and I came really close to booking our next cruise (a repeat of this itinerary), and ended up deciding not to at the last minute. Realized it would be too much pressure to try to save the money again, and we were looking at going at the end of August, which gave us less time to save...once we sat down and really looked at the finances we decided we just couldn't do it yet. Too many big things going on, and until we know how DD's financial aid for 2014 school year plays out, we couldn't make that commitment. So I've been to depressed to visit the forum much :(

And I realized that I had already replied to the questions in my previous post...sorry for the duplicate, although it's a much longer reply this time...lol

Things have not been great with our son and school the last few months. I really hope we get to the point that he's in college and successful...but at this point I'll be thrilled if he graduates high school. He's got a couple friends so socially he's doing ok. Not great, but he gets by. At least the bullying that he was dealing with the last few years seems to have minimized. Now most of the time other kids just leave him alone instead of picking on him for being so different. He gotten into trouble a couple times for misusing the school's computer network, and he's been suspended for it. So he has a reputation for being the kid who hacked into the school's network (which isn't really what happened, but that's what everyone thinks happened and the kids were kind of looking at him as a hero of sorts, so oddly enough it's helped him out a bit socially). Anyway, it's a struggle. I'm still learning how to advocate for him and his needs, and I'm not a very aggressive person in that respect.

love this reviews. makes me want to go on the southern carribbean cruise all over again

Great review!! Did this sailing when the Victory was doing it back in '09....still a fantastic itinerary!!! DH and I want to do it again someday, this time with our (now 21 month old) son.....only a lot older.

I still have dreams about our cruise, can't get it out of my head. It seems the only downfall to having finally taken our honeymoon/trip of a lifetime is knowing that it will probably never happen again. If it does, it probably won't be in 2014...and 2015 seems like such a long time from now. I need to find the cure for "Post Cruise Depression Syndrome". And everyone says the cure is to just book another cruise...but I can't afford those meds and they aren't covered by my insurance!

I read your review a month ago or two and really thought that it had alto of good info and pictures. We are taking our 2 adult sons and their wives in 20 some days and will also be in PR 3 days prior to the cruise and am thinking that we will do alto of the things that you did as it sounds really fun. Thank you very much!

I really hope you have as much fun as we did! Have a great trip!

Excellent review!! I have over a year to plan for our cruise in early 2015 and getting soooo excited pouring over reviews like tis. My DH and I are more the types that would to an overview tour of each island like you did, so much to think about though!! I was definitely wanting to fly in a day early to SJ, but after reading your review of the rain forest and especially the Bio Bay, we may need another day. I really enjoyed your review and pics and I'm sure I'll be coming back to this thread again! Thanks!! :)

So glad it's helped in your planning. Hubby and I have talked about doing this trip again so many times, and came to the conclusion that we wouldn't want to do it with less than 4 days to spend in Puerto Rico. We would definitely go back to the eastern side of Puerto Rico again, and maybe even see the bio bay again. We would probably venture to the west of San Juan as well...definitely take the extra day(s) if you can make it happen!

Valentinebaby1 and JKirkN, thank you so much for sharing your review of the Valor. Cruising is an addiction and to me is THE perfect vacation. I sailed on the Valor in 2010 and she was a great ship. If there is a will there is a way, so I have a feeling that you will be cruising again.

In 19 days I am heading to the Conquest for an Eastern Caribbean cruise to Nassau, San Juan, Saint Thomas, and Grand Turk. So I will be at a few of the places that you got to see. This is a girl cruise with some friends from work. One of the ladies has never been anywhere, and just got her first passport.

I just got the okay from my DH to book a 6 night cruise on the Breeze for November! He has never been on a cruise before and I'm afraid that he will be spoiled for any other ship after the Breeze! We have a great Itinerary, I think: Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. So at least I wont have post cruise depression, because I will have another one to look forward to!

It sounds like you had the trip of a lifetime. I wish you both the best. I am addicted to reviews (almost) as much as cruising. I have never attempted one, so committing myself to review the upcoming cruise.

Happy New Years to you both! Lisa

It's been so nice to hear so many people have read my (our) review and have enjoyed it. It took some time to do it, but it was fun to relive the trip too.

Some of the new friends we met on our cruise are already taking another one, on the Breeze in May with (I think) the same itinerary as yours. We would love to join them, but just can't make it happen that soon. I'm sure that will be a wonderful trip. The Breeze looks amazing! I'll keep an eye out for your review(s)! Hope both your trips are wonderful!

Thank you so much for this review! You did a fabulous job! I just started looking into this itinerary and you sold me! Hoping to go in November this year and we will now make sure we have a couple days to spend in San Juan. Thank you!

Thank you so much for this review! You did a fabulous job! I just started looking into this itinerary and you sold me! Hoping to go in November this year and we will now make sure we have a couple days to spend in San Juan. Thank you!

Have a fabulous trip! I hope you enjoy the cruise and Puerto Rico as much as we did!

I wish I could hug your right now, valentinebaby1. You probably wouldn't believe this but I know what you're going through with your DS. I struggled with some of the same issues with our son too. He will graduate from college in May and has grown into a wonderful young man. (And to think I had doubts! ha ha!)

Don't feel guilty because you can't afford this trip again for a long time. By the time we set a foot upon the ship, it'll have been 8 years. The best cure of post-cruise-depression is finding something else interesting to occupy your time and mind.

You could come make Christmas cards with me! (I'm working on making next years cards now.)

{{{{hugs}}}

I wish I could hug your right now, valentinebaby1. You probably wouldn't believe this but I know what you're going through with your DS. I struggled with some of the same issues with our son too. He will graduate from college in May and has grown into a wonderful young man. (And to think I had doubts! ha ha!)

Don't feel guilty because you can't afford this trip again for a long time. By the time we set a foot upon the ship, it'll have been 8 years. The best cure of post-cruise-depression is finding something else interesting to occupy your time and mind.

You could come make Christmas cards with me! (I'm working on making next years cards now.)

{{{{hugs}}}

Aw, thanks for the hugs...you have no idea how much that is needed!

I need to clean off my scrapbooking desk and get back into doing that. Life has just gotten in the way :( I have a mind that needs occupying but unfortunately I don't have a lot of time.

Welsh Corgie - This might be a stretch... but is there ANY chance you'd be willing to buy some hot sauce for me in St. Kitt's? :) I know it's crazy to ask, but I just bought a small sample bottle of Mrs. Greaux Hot Pepper Sauce and absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately it appears they only make around 2500 bottles a year and as far as I can tell, only sell in St. Kitts. I just ran out and I'm jonesing for more! heheheh. If you are willing, please let me know...I can send you $ for it...the sample was $2.50 US. Not sure what a bigger bottle would cost. I think I bought it at the Fort, but it's supposed to be available all over...(maybe)...

Figured I'd give it a show since you are going soon.... :D

• 3 weeks later...
OCT 12, 2013-day 10

St Maarten was on the agenda for today, and we woke to another beautiful day!

100_4076.jpg

As it turned out, the group of 10 of us had all signed up for the same excursion in St Maarten, through Bernard's Tours so we knew it was going to be a wild and crazy day!

100_4080.jpg

100_4081.jpg

We met just off the ship and found our tour in the port area, just as we were instructed. There were a few other people on the tour with us, including a couple we were together with in Barbados, so we knew everyone on our tour already except for two couples. We got into the large air conditioned bus and met our tour guide and driver for the day, named Mailman. He was absolutely hilarious and I had read so many good reviews where he was the tour guide, I was really excited to have Mailman as our guide as well. We started out by getting our "bartender" in order and the spiced rum punch started flowing and it was only 9 or 9:30 am. Mailman used a PA system on the bus so we could all hear him very clearly as he gave us information on the history of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin.

Our first stop was at an iguana farm, where we got the chance to feed the iguanas some lettuce. The farm apparently got a big contract with Disney Cruises so they are in the process of upgrading and expanding their facilities. There were so many iguanas, plus a couple monkeys in a cage and a large snake. We were only there for about 15 minutes, but it was fun!

100_4086.jpg

100_4093.jpg

100_4097.jpg

What a fantastic review! The GF and I will be leaving on the Valor a week from today!

After reading your review of Bernard's Tours, we've become real interested in it. On the website it says that the tour lasts until 2pm, but you had stated that you didn't get back to ship until much later than that. Was their any concern about not making the ship?

Thanks much!

Nice review! Thanks for sharing.

I have a 12 yr old son with aspergers. Just today i texted dh saying how much i neeeeeeed our cruise next month. My son started jr high this year and its been rough!

Glad to see you had a good time!

Our 22 yr old daughter has aspergers. I remember the jr high years. Kids were so mean to her. It got much better in High School.

I didn't see the path we took from St Maarten back to San Juan, but the strange thing was that was the fastest we ever traveled. I'm not sure what time we actually docked though. I don't know why we were traveling so much faster than the rest of the trip, to go such a short distance too. We felt the waves the most that night, but I'm not sure if it was because of the speed or because of weather, but the weather wasn't bad. It could be that they were trying to avoid a storm? After we fell asleep we aren't even sure what happened. We did notice one other path, I think when we were coming into St Lucia, where we went way out of the way and then back. It made me wonder if they are charged extra for docking early so they intentionally stay out at sea until it's time, or if they stay out at sea because of possible weather issues, or both. But fuel cost vs. port costs too? I'm sure they know what they're doing, lol...I was just very curious about the reasoning!

We noticed that too and couldn't believe we were already passing St. Thomas when we went out on the balcony around midnight. We checked the TV channel and sure enough, Valor was just south of Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, and we could not believe we were already that far. Apparently that was the roughest night for us too, but I had already fallen asleep. DH told me that ship was a rockin' and we heard the same from others the next morning. I was up at 5:30AM the morning we were scheduled to arrive in San Juan hoping to get up to deck 10 for pictures passing the fort as we came back in, but we already made the turn in toward the dock and were docked shortly after 5:30AM. My guess it has something to do with port arrival time but I'm not sure on that. Still loving your review and pictures. From your helicopter ride pictures (great pics, btw) I could see the room we stayed in at the Courtyard.

WHen I was on the Valor last summer around dinner time, you could hear several cell phones chime all at once. As we got close to Puerto Rico it must have hit a US Cell tower.

That being said our roughest sea time was St Thomas > Barbados, the Captain took a western route, and floored it to avoid a tropical storm. I know they were considering toning down the dancing in that night's show.