CROWN PRINCESS remembered in photos and video

Bimmer09

I guess at some point, being British, I would like to sail on a Cunard ship to see whether the service is up to snuff. One of the reasons I really liked America when I joined the Song of Norway in Miami back in August 1985 was the "sure, no problem" approach to service. I contrasted this to my everyday experience in England...(flashback)

Can I have the ham and cheese sandwich but do you think I could have it without the lettuce?

Without the lettuce? I don't know about that guv'nor-it comes with the lettuce.

How about you ask the chef to just leave the lettuce off?

Crikey! I doubt if old Ernie will do that mate-he always puts lettuce on.

That sort of thing which I hope has changed over the past 28 years during which time Britain has come alive with notable chefs and the American and European influence in offering value and variety has grown. Stuffed sandwiches were not the norm back then...two slices of processed white bread with laser-thin ham slices and similar Kraft cheese slices.

I only visit the UK every ten years or so but I should go more often as there is much to enjoy there. Do any of you reading this visit the UK, on a cruise or a land vacation? Any Cunard cruisers among you?

Here is Queen Elizabeth

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

Ah, when did Ernie the Surly Barman get promoted to Chef (or was it the other way round)?

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Wow- you're really paying attention!

Ernie was a barman indeed but I use his name as an Everyman who can't be bothered to make the effort to serve his customers.

I am a big Fawlty Towers fan....it all struck a familiar chord with the Basil character.

Norris

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

So many lines, so many ships, so many destinations, so many choices....

Here is the video portion of the afternoon, shooting directly into the sun and with the sound of the wind rushing through the microphone. Nothing beats "being there".

Wow- you're really paying attention!

Ernie was a barman indeed but I use his name as an Everyman who can't be bothered to make the effort to serve his customers.

I am a big Fawlty Towers fan....it all struck a familiar chord with the Basil character.

Norris

"We would love to make your Waldorf Salad but unfortunately we are fresh out of... waldorf."

:D

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

It came time to return to the Marriott and meet up with Carol again for dinner at Sea Level.

Walking along the beach I saw this...

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

A fantastic surprise- I have never been up in a one (yet). We have done hot -air ballooning in Albuquerque which was a thrill of a lifetime. Their is a town in Germany-Friedrikshaven on the Bodensee-where dirigibles are made and flights are offered but we didn't have time in our schedule. Some day!

IMG_2221.JPG

The hotel. I found Carol on a beach lounger via texting her.

IMG_2222.JPG

Even though the Crown had sailed out of sight, not to be seen again by us since, we were not downhearted and I think that is the beauty of adding a day after the cruise. The thought-in the planning stage-of going to the airport and being back in Chicago as the ship was sailing out of PE again without our sorry asses on it, was too much to contemplate, hence the de-compression day in a beautiful hotel on a lovely beach. This is something we will always try to do-get there a day early and leave a day later.

Ahead of us was a relaxing evening. We didn't leave the hotel and the rental car stayed in the garage. The rental wasn't necessary really-it was just there incase we had the urge to forage further afield for food, which we did on our next visit after the Ruby (more of that later)

We ate at Sea Level again, even though there are 4 restaurants in the hotel and all of them busy, but SL was on the beach and outdoors and we couldn't have dined outside in Chicago tonight. Warm Atlantic breezes, palm trees. Tropical music playing.

After dinner we walked out onto the boardwalk where they have some tables with armchairs and there our waitress delivered my double espresso and Sambuca and a fresh ashtray, away from the diners. A feel -good moment and another in a week-long parade of them. Winter and work were forgotten as we sat and talked. Random memories of the Crown came and went in the silences. We were of a mind to cruise again...I don't know if at some point we will say-"well that's enough cruising for me!". How bad would a cruise have to be?

I'll never cruise Princess again!! The waiter didn't even set the napkin in my lap!!

No more Princess for me! There were old people on the ship!!

It rained all day and nickel and dime Princess didn't even offer us an OBC!

We are happy in our choice to date. The cruises, although I tried to prep Carol based on my ancient memories of the Song of Norway and the Carnival cruises I took in the early 1990s, have exceeded our expectations and then some. Nothing that has happened on our four cruises have diminished the experience. They only get better or as good as , depending on the location (we are Alaska fans primarily and foresee a Baltic cruise in our future too).

We have learned what we really like-aft suites. Thanks to that we are now Platinum status after only 4 cruises and get some free internet to use.

We have learned(well I have at least) to not try and do it/see it all. For me relaxation and drifting through the day is fine.

We put a lot of thought into excursions that appeal to us. No party boats or shopping.

We like our meals and are not picky eaters. We don't expect Michelin stars on a ship cooking 12,000 or so meals a day.

Back in the Marriott the day has passed and it is night. We move from the boardwalk to the large area between the beach and the lobby where there are palm trees whose trunks are ringed with little fairy lights. Here and there are fire pits giving off a nice warm glow. Comfy sofas and chairs. I head into one of the bars and grab another Sambuca ($12 as opposed to the $7 aboard ship). I don't want the evening to end. When it does we will have to pack our luggage again, order room service breakfast and spend our last night of our vacation before waking and having to make the journey home. Luckily it is Chicago and not Nottingham, England a trip our British Pop Choir friends had to face.

IMG_2224.JPG

As I have been writing this in Michigan Carol asked me "what's next?".

I have all my cruise reviews up to date....or have I? I did a Ruby review with photos....but still have a lot of video including excursions in St Thomas and St Maarten (and my first visit to P Cays)-so I may do that . Unlike on the Crown we found ourselves in the MDR more often thanks to finding a great pair of waiters (Mexican and Ukrainian) and I taped the best band I have seen on a ship to date during a nighttime deck party. It was also the first cruise with my new camera, a Canon Eos Rebel. There is a lot of video.

So I will leave you now and raise my glass to all of you who have read this and especially to all of you who took the time to post a response and say such encouraging things.

IMG_2104.JPG

Cheers !!

Norris

I guess at some point, being British, I would like to sail on a Cunard ship to see whether the service is up to snuff. One of the reasons I really liked America when I joined the Song of Norway in Miami back in August 1985 was the "sure, no problem" approach to service. I contrasted this to my everyday experience in England...(flashback)

I only visit the UK every ten years or so but I should go more often as there is much to enjoy there. Do any of you reading this visit the UK, on a cruise or a land vacation? Any Cunard cruisers among you?

Norris

I think with your love of ships, oceans, photography and history, you would love a crossing on the QM2. I loved it and will do it again. It was elegant and majestic....I felt special just being on her.

Thanks for your wonderful review of the Crown. I'm ready to experience her, but will have to wait until next October.

Norris

I think with your love of ships, oceans, photography and history, you would love a crossing on the QM2. I loved it and will do it again. It was elegant and majestic....I felt special just being on her.

Thanks for your wonderful review of the Crown. I'm ready to experience her, but will have to wait until next October.

Thanks for the recommendation of the QM2. TA crossing from Southampton sounds interesting. Were you in the Grills or were there parts of the ship off-limits to you?

The Baltic is calling me too....

Norris

Thanks for the recommendation of the QM2. TA crossing from Southampton sounds interesting. Were you in the Grills or were there parts of the ship off-limits to you?

The Baltic is calling me too....

Norris

Regular Balcony cabin on Deck 5 midship. It was one of the sheltered ones, and I really liked it.

We couldn't go into the dining rooms for the Princess Grill guests. Other than that, we explored every other area we could. Truly a wonderful experience.

Thank you so much - your review was awesome!

Cbreit- thank you and as you are sailing on the Crown next Saturday I thought I'd share with you the first video I ever saw of the Crown. It confirmed my desire to sail on her and started the idea of a Baltic cruise with the beautiful backdrop of Flamm as a taster.

Skip the ad at the beginning of course!

The music is pretty hypnotic and the video repetitive...but worth a look.

Norris

I sailed on the QE2 in the Grills -- fabulous. It was a fantastic experience. I'm sure it's good in the regular cabins, but if you can spring for a Grills cabin, by all means do so. At least on the QE2, the only restricted area was the Queen's Grill lounge (and the restaurants themselves). Otherwise, there was no kind of division between passengers.

Of course, it means tuxes for six nights . . . the only men I really can remember seeing in suits were the guys who were U.S. customs officers traveling with the ship. I remember because one of them wished me a happy birthday when he asked me to dance that night, and he knew it was my birthday because he had checked my passport that day. Creepy but in a cheerful harmless way.

Thank you again for the wonderful review! I've enjoyed catching up every day. I was glad you made it last longer than a week! Hopefully when we travel on her this winter, it will seem longer than the week we will actually be on her!

As the weather has started to get cold, you warmed my toes a little each day. Now I have to wait till real winter sets in to get them defrosted again!

Your photos were great, your sense of humor fantastic, and your detail - amazing!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you again for the wonderful review! I've enjoyed catching up every day. I was glad you made it last longer than a week! Hopefully when we travel on her this winter, it will seem longer than the week we will actually be on her!

As the weather has started to get cold, you warmed my toes a little each day. Now I have to wait till real winter sets in to get them defrosted again!

Your photos were great, your sense of humor fantastic, and your detail - amazing!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you for the nice things you say-and yet it was all a bit lazy on my part. The humor is just part of me and always has been (to those who know me) but the photos were few and not a lot of thought or effort put into them and the detail is seen through a fog this far away from the event.

I hope to do better justice to the Caribbean Princess and not leave as much out as I did with the Crown. I did get to talk to the Captain, Nick Nash and banter with him but left that out and there's lots more detail and observations that I omitted trying to get the piece wrapped up as some of the responders were actually sailing on the ship very soon.

It's only since I have put up the 4 reviews on this board, that I have realized that if I am going to try and share the experience I really need to take more photos, shoot more video and make notes to really give a fuller picture of the ship and the cruise experience.

So that will start with the CB in January and evolve thereafter. The details will only get richer, trust me on that.

It isn't work-even though it is time consuming-to write these long rambles, because a few people enjoy reading them and are excited and anticipating sailing on the ship I am writing about. The responses therefore are very rewarding.

In daily life there is no word that carries as much meaning as "thanks" and the response should always be "you are welcome". And you are.

I read them for the first time whole, once they are finished. I did that this morning at 5 a.m. Now I have what I wanted- a vivid reminder of a cruise long past. It reads better with the comments from the many people who responded over the weeks (3), so I am glad I shared.

Everyone on CC contributes to the rich tapestry of cruising. It's a very unique community bond-the love of ships and sailing on them, being well-fed and entertained while sailing the world. We all help each other by relating our experiences. We whet each other's appetite for more and the next cruise is always going to be "the best ever" and it often is!

So watch out in late January as I revisit the Caribbean Princess...more photos, more video and way more detail. Submarines -check. Dolphins-check. Air Boats-check and more ship than a man can stomach!

Thanks again for your kindness of spirit.

Norris

on dry land (ugh!)

Norris,

You are an awesome storyteller and I look so forward to my sailing next week on the. (My DH just informed me that Martha Stewart christened the Crown.) Interesting fact.

I am going to follow you and your future reviews like a little fan...or stalker...whichever you prefer.

***I live in a suburb of Chicago and have seen 2 different women around town who I have had to look twice at because I think it might be Carol which makes me think I belong in the "stalker" group. :)

Seriously, your review could not have been timed more perfectly for me, and the slow execution made it even more delicious. I am going to enjoy every minute of my vacation and will follow up with advice and comments for future Crown patrons.

I look forward to your upcoming reviews! Thanks so much.

Laura

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Norris,

You are an awesome storyteller and I look so forward to my sailing next week on the. (My DH just informed me that Martha Stewart christened the Crown.) Interesting fact.

I am going to follow you and your future reviews like a little fan...or stalker...whichever you prefer.

***I live in a suburb of Chicago and have seen 2 different women around town who I have had to look twice at because I think it might be Carol which makes me think I belong in the "stalker" group. :)

Seriously, your review could not have been timed more perfectly for me, and the slow execution made it even more delicious. I am going to enjoy every minute of my vacation and will follow up with advice and comments for future Crown patrons.

I look forward to your upcoming reviews! Thanks so much.

Laura

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Laura-thank you indeed for the kind words. If you see Carol in a Chicago suburb then by all means call the Police as she must be off her Meds and lost. She's a city girl while I am a country bumpkin (who thrives in big cities).

Norris

I seriously almost choked on my coffee. I do live in Naperville, so it is kind a "bigger" suburb.

Sadly, my husband works downtown and so we don't get there much on the weekends. When I win the lottery I plan on buying a condo down there. Oh and when I win the lottery I also plan on cruising in an Aft cabin. Though I do feel a little indulgent getting a balcony on this cruise. We have only ever had interior cabins...AND we put our teen kids in an interior across the hall. (they can sit on our balcony a few minutes a day :D)

Living the dream!!

I seriously almost choked on my coffee. I do live in Naperville, so it is kind a "bigger" suburb.

Sadly, my husband works downtown and so we don't get there much on the weekends. When I win the lottery I plan on buying a condo down there. Oh and when I win the lottery I also plan on cruising in an Aft cabin. Though I do feel a little indulgent getting a balcony on this cruise. We have only ever had interior cabins...AND we put our teen kids in an interior across the hall. (they can sit on our balcony a few minutes a day :D)

Living the dream!!

Naperville is one of those great places that has every American retail icon and every good casual eatery known to man- I gorged myself in Portillio's a month ago when I was there.

Inside cabins are a great way to cruise often. I have met people on ships who sail in them and they have racked up a lot of cruises and great experiences. We can't cruise often because of work and so with a max of 2 a year possible have fallen into the aft-suites and once we tasted that we were almost hooked. For our next cruise on the Diamond, after our first suite (a free upgrade on the Crown) we originally booked an aft balcony but over a couple of months of my breaking down the price differential for Carol by considering the value of the perks and multiplying by Pi and dividing by the circumference of the Earth etc I finally won her over to the bigger spend. We had our best cruise ever on the Diamond and it was partly done by eliminating helicopters and float planes on excursions. We found great excursions that dialed back the spend but not the drama.

Inside cabins wouldn't be good for us as we love our space and we have to see the sea at all times so we have to have a balcony. Once we sailed aft-that was the clincher for us. Sea and lots of it...noisy and foaming!

Cheers!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
spelling

Norris, thank you for taking the time to post this awesome review! I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of your and Carol's journey. I will be waiting anxiously for your review of the Caribbean to show up in Jan. In the meantime, I still haven't read your review of the Coral, so that's where I will be heading next.