West Bay Beach Day Near, Not On, Tabayana

cottonchopper

My family of 9 will be in Roatan Feb. 19. on the Carnival Dream. We plan to spend 4 or 5 hours snorkeling, swimming and lounging on West Bay Beach as near to Tabayana as we can get, but a little away from the ship crowds. We need lounge chairs, shade and food. Infinity Bay seems perfect, but I don't want to spend $25. per person. $10. would be better. We will have an 11-year-old and a couple of teenagers with us, so not too rowdy/ adult atmosphere.

Any suggestions for such a place?

Thanks for your help.:)

I find due to the size of the beach..Bananarama feels more crowded than does Tabyana. Tabyana has far more sand space both ocean front and to the back. Add to that there are nine of you and the easy access reef snorkeling is at Tabyana..this way one can still keep track of the kids and enjoy their lounger.

The snorkeling at Bananrama is poor compared to Tabyana AND one need be concerned about the coming and going of boats. Course if you choose Bananarama one can walk down the beach to Tabyana to snorkel.

The added bit of info I do not have is Grand Roatan, March of this year they just had a beach bar on the other side of Tabyana, they were offering loungers, would be a perfect spot if they are still doing it..it may be the resort is complete-ish and the rules have shifted. They may have had a limit at that time, I only ever saw three loungers out.

I find due to the size of the beach... these places are all the same! They're less than 1000 ft. apart. (My favorite beach, Siesta Key Beach, is over 3000 ft. long... that's three times the distance between Tabayana and Bananarama!) Saying the snorkeling at Bananarama is poor compared to Tabayana is ridiculous! :rolleyes: While the reef is closer to the sand near Tabayana, it's the same exact reef! If anything, I've found the snorkeling straight off Bananarama to be better. Without as much cruiser traffic, I've seen far rarer critters there, like turtles and eagle rays. In addition, depending on the tide, Tabayana can be virtually impossible to swim to the outside of the reef from. If you want to get there, and see the majority of the sea life, you need walk to "The Kidney"... which is halfway to Bananarama anyway! :cool:

Hey there- On the aerial Google map, I see another resort past Infinity, at the very end of the beach, that looks to have very good reef close to shore. it's got three octagonal buildings and evenly spaced (gardened) palm trees along the beach. Anyone know the name of it?? thanks

Hey there- On the aerial Google map, I see another resort past Infinity, at the very end of the beach, that looks to have very good reef close to shore. it's got three octagonal buildings and evenly spaced (gardened) palm trees along the beach. Anyone know the name of it?? thanks

They call that part of West Bay Beach "Tabyana Beach".

inifintybay.jpg

Archived