Solution to lack of live music

KruuzinAgain

It's been 11 years since my last cruise and now that I'm booked for an upcoming cruise on the Splendor, I've spent the past few months on CC reading everything I can. I especially love reading people's reviews and trip reports. One thing I've seen mentioned multiple times is the fact that Carnival no longer has live music like the 3 man steel drum bands that used to play outside during the day. I used to love laying out in the sun hearing the caribbean sounds that those steel drums make.

I would think that the reason Carnival got rid of the live music is a cost savings measure (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Now your average ship has between 2300 - 3000 passengers. For this example, I'll use one of the larger ships. If Carnival raised the cruise fare by 50 cents per person, per week, they would make an extra $1500.00 per week. That means they could pay a 3 man band $500.00 per person, per week. Now I'm no cruise expert, but I'd think that $500 per week is a decent salary on a cruise ship. Plus, I think it's a pretty safe bet that if the cruise fare went up from lets say $749.00 per person to $749.50 per person, people wouldn't be that upset.

Any opinions?

Conversely, Carnival could keep the price the same and hire local musicians to come aboard and play on deck right up until sail away when the steel drum players could debark.

Carnival used to contract steel drum players for the cruises to Mexico aboard the Jubilee in just this way. The musicians played by the pool throughout the hours of the passengers boarding and then got off the ship.

Carnival also used to have a passenger "planted" in the boarding process to heighten excitement. In San Pedro in 1991 they had a man dressed as Pee Wee Herman. He boarded the ship with everyone and was never seen again on board. This paid actor made the boarding more fun and caused a stir with people asking each other if he was the real deal. Of course this was before Paul Ruben fell from favor and was still on the "A" list in some circles.

My point is Carnival provided these entertainers before and the cost to them was minimal because the entertainers didn't stay on board for the whole cruise. I wish they would bring back the live steel drum players for sail away on all their ships, if only for the period during the boarding process. Pee Wee...not so much. :)

Archived