Another UBP question

Overdue4cruise

you are charged 15% of the entire total when you purchase the package. So our package price for 2 was $788.90, which is $49 + $7.35 gratuity = $56.35/day x 7 days x 2 people.

You will still have to sign receipts and our TV often showed some of the drinks on there, but they drop off. If you want a current list of your charges, you can go to guest services.

We did tip extra a few times on some of the slips so that stays on your bill, as that's obviously separate from the regular beverage charge.

you are charged 15% of the entire total when you purchase the package. So our package price for 2 was $788.90, which is $49 + $7.35 gratuity = $56.35/day x 7 days x 2 people.

Can you just buy one or are you required to buy one for each person in the cabin.

Something I learned about the gratuity. The bar staff and waiters only recieve the original 18% of the purchase price of the UBP. After you breakeven on the package even though the reciepts show a gratuity the staff is actually not receiving any additional tips. Something to keep in mind. Couple of extra dollars here & there led to some happy staff which led to better trip for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the staff appreciates cash tips. Auto tips are put into their accounts which most of the staff have sent directly home to family. Cash tips allow them funds to do some personal shopping & spending cash when they arw in port. On the 1st Breakaway Bahamas trip the crew couldnt wait to get of in PC so they could hit a target or a walmart. None are available in NYC or Bermuda.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

Also the first day before sailaway you will be charged tax on your drinks. This happens whether you have UBP or not, so you'll see some charges for a few cents for the first day if you purchase sail away drinks.

You are not charged tax on UBP drinks in the US. Maybe some European port countries do, but not in the US.

Something I learned about the gratuity. The bar staff and waiters only recieve the original 18% of the purchase price of the UBP.

In the interest of accuracy, it's 15%, not 18... :)

Can you just buy one or are you required to buy one for each person in the cabin.

Every person over 21 in the cabin must purchase the package. See NCL's site for all the details...

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#ultimate

We just got home on the 20th after sailing on the Breakaway.

We pre-paid for the UBP, it was a simply as calling NCL customer service. Upon boarding we went to Mixx Bar and they gave us both the stickers for the UBP.

I second what moosecrouse stated. A nice tip the first round on the UBP meant great service and some STIFF pours for further drinks..

Also- if you have the UBP and frequent the same bars, as the bartenders get to know you, they will not ask to see both cards, and will allow you to purchase two drinks at a time on one card.

We are not big drinkers, but we did exceed the cost of the UBP, so for us it was well worth it

Both people in cabin. That's why in my case I do not buy as my wife will have a few glasses of wine and maybe a drink a day. Round numbers, I can do a lot of damage but not sure it's worth $115 a day unless you do not go into ports.

I thought of it last time in January and we drank all we wanted (on ship and off) and with our wine package, $25 buckets of beer, happy hours, we did not hit the $115 a day average. If I included all of the drinks (in port) I would have.

Another thing I just learned today. There are two UBPs. $49/day includes liquor, $44/day does not. Both people in the cabin must buy a package, but they don't have to be the same one.

I asked because my travel buddy only drinks beer and soda, so wants the cheaper one.

I purchased it too. My trip is not until 11/1 on the Norwegian Sky. I will probably come out on top. It just makes sense for big drinkers.

:cool:

We purchased it as well, as you can see from my previous posts. But it makes sense for not only the big drinkers, but also those like me that just want to be able to try new things and not worry about not liking them, or it melting by the pool before I can finish it... As long as you're not on a very port intensive sailing, or if you stay up fairly late it is quite easy to break even with the UBP. And we honestly don't even care about that, as long as we are within $50-100 of the total cost, I'll be happy, just for the peace of mind of not having to watch and wonder at every drink my husband or I order. Not have to second guess that glass of wine at dinner or fru fru drink the last day of the cruise. (and yes when it come to me at least I keep a very close eye on what we are spending, Husband... not so much, lol)

We purchased it as well, as you can see from my previous posts. But it makes sense for not only the big drinkers, but also those like me that just want to be able to try new things and not worry about not liking them, or it melting by the pool before I can finish it... As long as you're not on a very port intensive sailing, or if you stay up fairly late it is quite easy to break even with the UBP. And we honestly don't even care about that, as long as we are within $50-100 of the total cost, I'll be happy, just for the peace of mind of not having to watch and wonder at every drink my husband or I order. Not have to second guess that glass of wine at dinner or fru fru drink the last day of the cruise. (and yes when it come to me at least I keep a very close eye on what we are spending, Husband... not so much, lol)

that's exactly how we feel! My husband was saying that the beer gets warm quickly when you're hanging out on a lounge chair. So unless you chug it, he doesn't care if he orders another one. I'm almost positive we came out ahead (I was overserved at GSC hahahahaha) and it was nice to know that our bar bill was going to be $788. The end. We didn't drink anything not on the list. The bartenders are very familiar with how it all works now (there seemed to be problems in the beginning). It was worth it for us for sure.

Archived