Mekong River Cruise

Chuckler

I was in Vietnam for 18 months back in the 60s (government sponsored trip-Army) and I joked about the country having only two seasons--- the first is hot, humid and rainy. Second season is really hot, really humid and really rainy.

Like someone said above--always be on the lookout for air conditioned places.

We will be returning to Vietnam in about two weeks

Hope you have a wonderful experience in Vietnam. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a 15 day land tour and Mekong river cruise with AMA. Two seasons - wet and dry.November starts the dry season. The weather is hot and hotter. We did not have any rain the whole time for our shore excursions. It poured for 10 minutes, one day, on the riverboat.

We had a cloud cover most of the time keeping the temperature at about 85-90 degrees.

All the villages have dirt roads. The temple remnants have rocky steps. We did a lot of walking, and climbing up and down steps. It would have been very difficult in the rain.

Travel shows you different ways of life. I'm so glad AMA gave us the opportunity to explore these countries in comfort. It was a wonderful experience for us.

I will be sailing on the Amalotus Sept 2nd, stating with 6 days pre cruise in Hanoi, 7 day cruise on the Mekong, and ending with 2 days post in Ho Chi Minh City.:D

Looks like we're on the same cruise - starting Sept 2nd in Hanoi. There is a roll call started with one other couple besides ourselves.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926658

Hi BABA 7,

It will be nice to meet someone who lives quite close. Have you read this thread about the Mekong trip? It goes back a few years and is quite long but there is lots of information about the trip as well as links to great reviews.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1301812

Have you booked your flights yet?

Hi BABA 7,

It will be nice to meet someone who lives quite close. Have you read this thread about the Mekong trip? It goes back a few years and is quite long but there is lots of information about the trip as well as links to great reviews.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1301812

Have you booked your flights yet?

No, haven't looked at flights yet....two trips prior to this one that I need to wrap up the details....:D

• 1 month later...

Just returned from trip. The dry season is November Thru February . Yes, it is hot and humid but the boats,bus trips and most restaurants have AC. Took the 3 day pre cruise and 3 day post cruise in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City and it was well worth it. Spent 3 days at Sofitel resort in Siem Reap. Again well worth it to see Angkor Wat temples.

We made our own airfare plans and used Asian Travel and Tours for transfers. They charged us $20 for each pick- up. They did get us from Hanoi airport but did not pick us up in Ho Chi Minh. Hotel called us a taxi and it costs only $8. Take taxi's so you aren't ripped off either.

This was our second AMA cruise. Think they just rent this boat. It was nice but not up to the standards from our other trip. Food was inconsistent as cooks are Cambodian and need more training. The fine wine was box wine. Local beers are just okay.

• 4 weeks later...
We are going on the AMALotus in September. The tour starts in Hanoi on the 2nd and we board the boat on the 8th.

Hi Gayle,

Have you gone on your cruise yet? It's a long 17 days till ours...so want to get out of this cold....the week in Cuba was heaven!:D

May I ask who you booked your trip through....and are they looking after any visas and your air?

Dianne