Splendour of the Seas 7 night Greek Isles, October 19th - 26th Review

peteukmcr

Hi Peter, thanks for dropping in on the 2011 Liberty TA thread and letting us know about your review. As always, another fine review and great pictures! While you noted your concerns, I appreciate your upbeat and positive comments throughout the review. Thanks!

P.S. Hi George and Karen!

thanks Mike, glad to know it was helpful

Still plan to, just haven't done anything since the Liberty TA. Pretty sad, eh?:( Just been so busy with work and family stuff. Been looking at something Carribbean next spring, probably out of Galveston or New Orleans. No big cruises until we retire early 2015.

See your still a cruising maniac - so envious! Keep at it!

Retirement is great Mike :D Did 23 weeks cruising in 2012 and doing 25 weeks this year, cutting it down 2014 as bought a Condo in the Canary Islands and hoping to spend some time there.

Retirement is great Mike :D Did 23 weeks cruising in 2012 and doing 25 weeks this year, cutting it down 2014 as bought a Condo in the Canary Islands and hoping to spend some time there.

Hey George, are you trying to catch up with SuperMario with all that cruising??;) Congrats on the condo purchase, a nice place to escape the balmy Scottish winters. Which island? We enjoyed our 2 stops in the Canaries during the TA.

Hey George, are you trying to catch up with SuperMario with all that cruising??;) Congrats on the condo purchase, a nice place to escape the balmy Scottish winters. Which island? We enjoyed our 2 stops in the Canaries during the TA.

Tenerife Mike

Hi Peter, thanks for dropping in on the 2011 Liberty TA thread and letting us know about your review. As always, another fine review and great pictures! While you noted your concerns, I appreciate your upbeat and positive comments throughout the review. Thanks!

P.S. Hi George and Karen!

Hey Mike! Thanks for the shout out! Hope all is well with you and Julie. You mentioned in one of your posts about possibly cruising in '14 from Galveston or NOLA.....just a head's up, we are on the Serenade out of NOLA on March 15th;) It will probably be our last cruise until David retires in early '15.

George.....Hi, and congrats on your new condo in Tenerife. Such a beautiful island.

Edited by KeywestK

Tenerife Mike

George, excellent!! Enjoy the new digs!!

Hey Mike! Thanks for the shout out! Hope all is well with you and Julie. You mentioned in one of your posts about possibly cruising in '14 from Galveston or NOLA.....just a head's up, we are on the Serenade out of NOLA on March 15th;) It will probably be our last cruise until David retires in early '15.

George.....Hi, and congrats on your new condo in Tenerife. Such a beautiful island.

HI Karen, will check out that sailing.

Peter, thanks for allowing us to hijack your thread:o Looks you have a few more cruises to look forward to. The one on Liberty in October visits some interesting ports.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming....:p

George, excellent!! Enjoy the new digs!!

HI Karen, will check out that sailing.

Peter, thanks for allowing us to hijack your thread:o Looks you have a few more cruises to look forward to. The one on Liberty in October visits some interesting ports.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming....:p

No hijacking Mike, just like chatting 2 years ago. Yes, the Liberty next Oct is good, we just got 'hijacked' into booking that by another of our Liberty 2011 fellow sailors Joyce & Jerry when we sailed with them on Allure earlier this year.

In summary, the ship is in good condition, on the whole the staff are friendly and helpful, the service is good, and the ports are excellent (Dubrovnik must not be missed, Santorini is spectacular and Athens for historical sites can't be beaten. Corfu has plenty to offer and Katakolon has one street of shops and a harbour full of pretty cafés and tavernas but little else as it the port stop for Olympia).

One noticeable and pleasant difference to the bigger ships are the lack of announcements for bingo, $10 sales, belly flop competition, worlds sexiest man etc, etc. Those of you who have sailed on the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class will know what I mean. Basically during the day, it is peaceful with very few 'bing bongs'. Bliss.

So the $64,000 question, would I sail out of Venice again? Definitely yes, it's such an easy transfer to/from the airport and is a beautiful city to experience and only a 2 hour flight for us.

Would I want to visit more of the Greek Islands? Of course, there are so many to visit and they are so charming.

Would I sail Splendour again, given a choice, no, she's too small for me and doesn't give the variety of venues I've become accustomed to and that are available on the larger ships.

Don't get me wrong, she is a great ship, on which we received our first Crystal block and never appeared crowded (boy those things weigh a lot, around 1.5 kilos or just over 3lbs to be exact!). Although I did have to chase that down as it had been delivered to the wrong cabin!

OK, any questions, fire away and I'll try my best to answer.

Thanks for your review. You brought back some memories of our cruise in June. We cruised the same itinerary. I agree about debarkation being painless in Venice.

I would not have been happy with the dining room situation. We never stepped foot in the MDR the entire week.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are heading back next year but on Celebrity and a longer cruise from Barcelona to Venice.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just returned today Pete, had a great time with family but your spot on with your review, the CD is very poor, entertainment was poor I don't count karaoke as entertainment and we got this 4 nights in the top hat lounge.

TV programmes were the same every day they played on a loop, no live sport because the CD does not like sport..!!

The crew were nice and friendly as usual, dining room service was slow and they got orders wrong on the two nights we went, WJ food was excellent so much more choice than cruises from Southampton,

We had one of the new cabins that were added on the referb it was very nice one of the best yet.

I liked the ship but will only return if there is a new CD..

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk