My review:Carnival Dream with an 8 mth old and group of 17. The good, bad, and ugly.

Mybearsbaby

Great start to the review!! Thanks for posting--can't wait to read the rest! Your little one is adorable! :)

Awe, thank you!!!

:D And a partridge in a pear tree! :D

Why did everybody bring coolers? To keep soda cool from the bus to the room?

:D LOL!!!

We brought them to use in port to keep a few sodas and the baby's milk cold. Not sure why the others brought theirs haha ;)

If we get a bad wait staff we ask to be moved to another section. No excuse for poor service.

Great tip! I didn't know we could do that! I didn't even think to ask. I did feel for Tina though...I honestly liked her, but it was impossible for her to pick up the slack of her two assistants when she had our two tables totaling 17, plus two more groups behind us and was pretty much doing it on her own. I hope Carnival gives her new partners at least. I plan on letting them know in my survey.

Looking forward to your review as DH and I will be on the Dream next October. Yes, it's a long ways off, but that's okay, I don't mind for the great price we got. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us and can't wait for more.

FYI Robin - There is an active roll call for "our" dream cruise in January!

Gary & Debbie

Thank you Gary & Debbie, I will check it out! :)

Once onboard, we took a second to take in the grandeur of the atrium. That is one thing I love about cruising...that first glimpse at the beautiful artistry that goes into the atrium. This one did not disappoint. It was grand, magnificent and colorful.

IMG_0424.jpg

I love walking into the Atrium, too! I am always impressed by the size and grandeur of it all … really sets the cruise off right for me. We haven't been on the Dream yet, by your photo her atrium won't disappoint! Thank you for posting photos of the ship! :)

Main Dinner service is the worst on the Dream that I have ever experienced too in all my years of cruising.

Our Carnival Holiday had the happiest best service. Our first CCL and I was blown away, compared it exactly to RCCL. And we had EXCEPTIONALLY very, very fine service on Triumph in 2011. (asked for hot tea the first night, it was always waiting for me every night when I sat down.) We had slow service on Conquest last year (at least they were friendly.)

This year, we had rude anonymous (go by monikers like "bruce wayne" which doesn't help much for survey comments) and very disorganized service on Dream. Going to the 3 person team was a horrible mistake and they have way too many to serve and keep their sanity and they frankly can't communicate with you and were plain snappy sometimes. We got things we didn't ask for, didn't get things we did, and the main waiter stuck his finger in my face and shushed me when I FINALLY got to see someone in person to ask for a cup of hot tea. Waters weren't filled but once or twice and we had to take dessert to go if we expected to make it to comedy. I actually don't blame the servers. I blame CCL corp for expecting these guys to do the impossible. I wondered if it was just our own servers, but when I went to get breakfast on a port day (few people even go to the MDR for breakfast that day, it wasn't even packed) no one was around ever, so I got up and poured my own coffee twice off the drink station. Anyone who knows cruising knows this would be way below the service standard in the fancy dining room.

Like OP, group dinners every night are one of the highlights of the trip. This time, we just sat and looked at each other and basically sighed the whole trip as there just wasn't much anyone could do about it. But the Dream was a let down in other ways too, major long lines for ice cream or even coffee in the buffet (ran out of cups and then when the cups came, ran out of coffee and had to sit and wait for it to brew), and the staff were literally yelling at each other over the buffet which was awkward. Adding all the particulars (like the only time we ever saw the room steward, he was asking for more tips), and we have basically decided that the Dream has cured us from cruising Carnival again. I almost decided I was done cruising PERIOD but then DCL rescued me from that... (even a shorter 3-4 day amazed me and I'll never spend 7 on a CCL again.)

Hope your review gets better. I always go 'oh boy' when the first paragraph of the review has the classic excuse: 'any cruise is better than cooking and cleaning at home.'

I had hoped our poor experience was due to the cruise being so close to the Triumph and bookings being down so CCL was scrambling. But it's been months. I don't think it's that. I think the Dream is like the Unfriendly ship...

Can't wait to read more to compare our experiences!

I see a pattern...our dinner service on the Dream (in 2011) was poor also. Our team worked hard and they were just as nice as they could be, but they had around 40 people to serve in our area, and they simply couldn't keep up. Three of the tables were big 10/11 person groups...inevitably somebody got cold food every meal.

Great tip! I didn't know we could do that! I didn't even think to ask. I did feel for Tina though...I honestly liked her, but it was impossible for her to pick up the slack of her two assistants when she had our two tables totaling 17, plus two more groups behind us and was pretty much doing it on her own. I hope Carnival gives her new partners at least. I plan on letting them know in my survey.

My wife and I also had Tina for our lead waiter and she was also picking up the slack of her 2 assistants. We were on the Oct 12-19 cruise just before you guys. their names were I Wayan and I Gede. We also stayed at the La Quinta before we left :D

We hope to one day sail the Dream. We also had a cove balcony on our recent Breeze sailing and I loved it. I don't get why they don't put the bracelets on the ankles of smaller children. I saw quite a few small ones that had bracelets on their ankles on both our Liberty and Breeze sailings. Maybe different rules apply to different ships?

Anyway, enjoying your review!

Main Dinner service is the worst on the Dream that I have ever experienced too in all my years of cruising.

Our Carnival Holiday had the happiest best service. Our first CCL and I was blown away, compared it exactly to RCCL. And we had EXCEPTIONALLY very, very fine service on Triumph in 2011. (asked for hot tea the first night, it was always waiting for me every night when I sat down.) We had slow service on Conquest last year (at least they were friendly.)

This year, we had rude anonymous (go by monikers like "bruce wayne" which doesn't help much for survey comments) and very disorganized service on Dream. Going to the 3 person team was a horrible mistake and they have way too many to serve and keep their sanity and they frankly can't communicate with you and were plain snappy sometimes. We got things we didn't ask for, didn't get things we did, and the main waiter stuck his finger in my face and shushed me when I FINALLY got to see someone in person to ask for a cup of hot tea. Waters weren't filled but once or twice and we had to take dessert to go if we expected to make it to comedy. I actually don't blame the servers. I blame CCL corp for expecting these guys to do the impossible. I wondered if it was just our own servers, but when I went to get breakfast on a port day (few people even go to the MDR for breakfast that day, it wasn't even packed) no one was around ever, so I got up and poured my own coffee twice off the drink station. Anyone who knows cruising knows this would be way below the service standard in the fancy dining room.

Like OP, group dinners every night are one of the highlights of the trip. This time, we just sat and looked at each other and basically sighed the whole trip as there just wasn't much anyone could do about it. But the Dream was a let down in other ways too, major long lines for ice cream or even coffee in the buffet (ran out of cups and then when the cups came, ran out of coffee and had to sit and wait for it to brew), and the staff were literally yelling at each other over the buffet which was awkward. Adding all the particulars (like the only time we ever saw the room steward, he was asking for more tips), and we have basically decided that the Dream has cured us from cruising Carnival again. I almost decided I was done cruising PERIOD but then DCL rescued me from that... (even a shorter 3-4 day amazed me and I'll never spend 7 on a CCL again.)

Hope your review gets better. I always go 'oh boy' when the first paragraph of the review has the classic excuse: 'any cruise is better than cooking and cleaning at home.'

I had hoped our poor experience was due to the cruise being so close to the Triumph and bookings being down so CCL was scrambling. But it's been months. I don't think it's that. I think the Dream is like the Unfriendly ship...

Can't wait to read more to compare our experiences!

We had a total opposite experience to yours and the OP's. We were on the 10/12 - 1019 Sailing and had a great Waitstaff, Jorge & Lade, in the MDR. Also, found the Staff and Crew to be extremely friendly throughout the Ship!

It was our first time on the Dream and we wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again!!! :)

We had a total opposite experience to yours and the OP's. We were on the 10/12 - 1019 Sailing and had a great Waitstaff, Jorge & Lade, in the MDR. Also, found the Staff and Crew to be extremely friendly throughout the Ship!

It was our first time on the Dream and we wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again!!! :)

I think it has to be just certain staff, or maybe the new system of 3 waiters as someone else suggested. I did meet some others that were very friendly. We actually met one on Lido named Adrian, and he was such a hoot!! :D I could have talked to him all day...he was hilarious and very friendly.

Thanks for your review and the pictures! Pictures of the atrium always make me smile, as that is one of my favorite things to check out when I first get on board too. :D

You are welcome! There is just nothing else like it!! :)

Thanks to everyone for all the comments!! The positive feedback is very appreciated! Hopefully I can get Day 3 (Nassau) done here in a few hours.

My wife and I also had Tina for our lead waiter and she was also picking up the slack of her 2 assistants. We were on the Oct 12-19 cruise just before you guys. their names were I Wayan and I Gede. We also stayed at the La Quinta before we left :D

Hi there! How cool! Great minds think alike lol ;)

Those were her assistants on this sailing too. I Wayan seemed nice, just very unprofessional and slacking...I Gede had no personality at all it seemed. I think I only heard him speak like once. He was also the one that forgot half our table's menus and bread more than once. Oh, well. We didn't let it ruin our trip. If I were Tina, I think I would request a change. Maybe her husband could arrange it? She told me her husband is the Maître D of the other Dining Room. He actually came to see her a few times and we met him.

We hope to one day sail the Dream. We also had a cove balcony on our recent Breeze sailing and I loved it. I don't get why they don't put the bracelets on the ankles of smaller children. I saw quite a few small ones that had bracelets on their ankles on both our Liberty and Breeze sailings. Maybe different rules apply to different ships?

Anyway, enjoying your review!

I know! I agree! The girl handing our the wrist bands said they would get in trouble if they were caught doing it. She told me that if my son's fell off though, and I got another bracelet, I could put it on myself...;) Maybe that is how some are getting them?

DAY 3: (Cruise Day 2): Nassau

Being that we are a church group, someone had suggested that we get together and have devotion/Sunrise Service before docking in Nassau. We had talked about meeting on the front of the ship, deck 9, because it is very quiet and peaceful there. Well, DH, baby E and I went up there as planned, and there was no one else there. We waited for a long time, and no one from our group came. Come to find out, the others had decided it was too windy and we were going to reschedule, but they called my sister to let me know since her room was close to mine. Well, she said she tried to call me but I was already gone. Oh well. Stuff happens. It wasn't anyone's fault, just one of those things...We had a BEAUTIFUL view of sunrise and the journey into port. I am so glad we went.

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

A Carnival ship we saw leaving port as we pulled in:

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

[/url]

You are not alone, we had the worst dinner experiences we had in all our cruises on the Dream.

In fact, it was so bad we booked RCCL for our next fall cruise over it..

We did have a 5 day cruise already booked last January after our Dream cruise, and it was the normal wonderful dining experience! WHEW:o

Sorry to hear of your bad experience in the MDR. My darling husband & I celebrated our 30th Anniversary on the Dream Oct. 5-12, 2013. We renewed our vows with our daughter & her family in the library as the Dream does not have a chapel. We had excellent service every night in the Crimson Dining Room from Joseph and his team - Romeo & Ikea. You can request a special table & waiter, and the only time we had to wait for our table was on the last night of the cruise. The food was wonderful, they treated us like family and we were very pleased with our entire trip. Love the Dream!!

I forgot to mention, before we went to Deck 9, I had my usual breakfast-in-bed. It is a cruise tradition for me to order Room Service for breakfast. I always get some coffee, fruit, and some of those yummy Danish goodies! My favorite are the ones with the custard type filling. The times that we have had a balcony in the past, I will go out and sit with my breakfast and watch the waves go by. Pure heaven!

Anyways, after watching the sunrise, we went up to Lido and got some Guava Juice and DH ate from the buffet. Baby E had some grits too :)

We watched as our ship was backed in and docked...I can barely back a car straight, so I was very impressed!

After everyone had eaten, we gathered our things and made our way to the gangway. Mom, my sisters, and our friend Mitchell decided to spend the day with us. Once off the ship, we took some pictures and headed towards Junkanoo Beach.

(We didn't do any ship excursions this trip, just kind of did our own thing.)

It was a little further walk than I had originally thought to get to Junkanoo, but it wasn't too bad.

For those who would like to know: To get to Junkanoo Beach, go through the cruise terminal, then take a right. Walk along the sidewalk all the way down to Senor' Frogs, then follow the road around the back of it and keep going. You will pass a McDonald's on your left.(We stopped here in the way to get a drink and use the restroom. It looked like they must have had WIFI too, because there were several people in there on laptops.) Junkanoo Beach is right beside Fat Tuesday's. It is a nice beach, and we enjoyed our time there.

It was Baby E's first time to play in the Ocean, and he liked it. He really enjoyed playing in the sand.

View from our Cove:

P1000051.jpg

P1000064.jpg

P1000067.jpg

Sidewalk you walk down to get to Junkanoo:

P1000100.jpg

Senor Frogs: When you get to the end of the sidewalk, you will be in front of Senor' Frogs. Follow the sidewalk around it and keep on going to the right, (parallel with the water).:

P1000120.jpg

The spot we are standing at was actually marked on the wall behind us with a spray painted picture of a camera. I guess so tourists know it is a good photo spot.

P1000114.jpg

Me and my baby sister:

P1000119.jpg

There are signs along the way to help people find Junkanoo:

P1000132.jpg

P1000150.jpg

P1000176.jpg

P1000153.jpg

Sorry to hear of your bad experience in the MDR. My darling husband & I celebrated our 30th Anniversary on the Dream Oct. 5-12, 2013. We renewed our vows with our daughter & her family in the library as the Dream does not have a chapel. We had excellent service every night in the Crimson Dining Room from Joseph and his team - Romeo & Ikea. You can request a special table & waiter, and the only time we had to wait for our table was on the last night of the cruise. The food was wonderful, they treated us like family and we were very pleased with our entire trip. Love the Dream!!

Good tip! I may try this if ever on the Dream again. I really like having a set time and all, but considering, I may give it a shot to see :)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YALL!! :)

A note about Junkanoo Beach: They have facilities there, but when we were there, there was a lady sitting at the door and wouldn't let me in because I had sand on my feet. (I was thinking "Well, it is a beach :rolleyes::D)

She told me I would have to wash all the sand off, then dry with a towel before she would let me in. The kicker: the shower was broken. I washed off the sand as best I could in the waves, then dried off with a towel, and told her it was the best I could do so she reluctantly let me in. While I was standing there, I heard her turn two more away. That was definitely a first :rolleyes:.

Overall, the beach was great! There was Caribbean music playing, ocean waves rolling to the shore, and a beautiful view of the lighthouse straight out front. It you are ever in Nassau and just want a free place to be a beach bum for a few hours, this is it! We had a good time, and baby E really enjoyed all that sand!

After spending a while at the beach we decided to stop at the straw market on the way back to the ship.

Out front of the market, we fell for one of the classic schemes going around. What's bad is I had heard about this one, it just didn't dawn on me when it first happened.

We were approached by two local women who in one swift motion put a necklace on my DH and a bracelet on me, saying that they were "free gifts" for all the visitors to the island. They then asked if we could make a small donation in exchange for the "gifts" to help the children. I didn't mind giving a couple bucks, but later it did occur to me that I have no way of knowing if they pocketed the money or if the kids of Nassau actually saw any of the money. I said "Sure", gave her a couple dollars, and started to walk away.

The women then got angry, followed me and said "Is this really all you are going to give?? No, give more!" I should have probably asked for my previous "donation" back and gave back the "gifts", but being the sucker I am, I pulled out a couple more bucks, gave it to them, and walked away. My mom and Mitchell, who were a little behind me, were both approached too. My mom was followed until she gave $5 for her "gift", but the funny one was Mitchell. They put a necklace on him, went through the whole "free gift for every visitor" spill, and Mitchell then commented "Thank you. I don't have any cash on me." They quickly took the necklace away from him and walked off. LOL! Free gift, huh? :rolleyes::D.

We went into the straw market (which is actually not straw anymore. It is an actual building. And no more knockoff purses.) We had a look around, and I found a really pretty carved Mahogany Jewelry Box. The lady was asking $35, and I got it for $15. I was pretty happy with my find. We try to always get some sort of household décor item from every trip. We love having little reminders of our vacations around the house. There was also a wooden helicopter that I wanted to get for Baby E, but I didn't get it. Maybe I will next time.

Happy with my little jewel box, we headed back towards the ship. We stopped briefly by immigration to get Baby E's first passport stamp. (For those who like to get stamps: It to the left right after coming through the cruise terminal area. There is a guard at the gate. Show your passport and tell him you want to get a stamp and he will let you through.)

We then walked back towards the ship, where we encountered some very drunk people singing a very perverse song, so we started singing too, but a gospel song, lol. People didn't know what to think. We boarded the ship, watched for pier runners from our room, then got some late lunch on Lido as we set sail.

It was a simple, cheap and fun day in port. After setting sail it was shower time!! Tonight was Captain's Dinner!