Hoi An or Hue? From Da Nang What is best?

Princess Jessie

Hi there... was originally thinking of going to Hoi An when we dock at Da Nang.. but am now considering Hue...

Don't think we have time for both...

What would you recommend?

First time in Vietnam....

I would go to Hoi An. It's a beautiful old town with some lovely buildings and an ancient Japanese bridge. There are lots of lovely cafes as well should you feel the need to refuel. :D We loved Hoi An and wouldn't hesitate to go back again. To get there, we took the shuttle into Danang and from there a taxi but from memory I think the ship had an excursion where they transported you to Hoi An and then you did your own thing until the pick-up time in the afternoon. This may be a better option as the taxi drivers will try to take you to shops at Marble Mountain on the way.

I'm sure Hue is also worthwhile but Hoi An is unique and I'm sure you won't regret visiting.

Enjoy whichever you choose.

Edited by bronte2

The shuttle dropped us off in a sort of square and there were tons of operators there offering services. Actually you will be inundated with offers and it can be a bit daunting so if the ship offers a drop off service to Hoi An it might be less hassle to take that.

We were fortunate to have a friend who lives in Hoi An and he organised a taxi for us for the return to the ship at the end of the day. He uses a particular company and driver that he knows is reliable which is why I suggested that it might be better to take a ship transfer.

From memory, no taxis were allowed into the port area but this may have changed in the last couple of years.

Alternatively, you could arrange a tour with a Vietnamese travel agent and they could pick you up at the port. If this appeals, try the Roll Call on these boards for your cruise to see if anyone has arranged a private tour and wants fellow pax to join them.

Have a great time on your cruise. :)

We struggled with the same decision before our SE Asia cruise. I did want to see the temples of Hue; but had heard so many recommendations for Hoi An, we didn't want to miss it. I also was concerned about going on a long drive over a mountain to get to Hue. We booked a tour with Mrs. Ha that took us to the ruins at My Son before a visit to Hoi An. That way we got some ruins and to see the lovely Hoi An. We were so glad we went to Hoi An. It was our favorite stop in Vietnam. It was like visiting old Vietnam and was such a lovely city. It had no damage from the war and has all of the older authentic structures. You can see lots of photos from our visit in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.