Med Cruise on the Spirit-my jet lagged rant

ConnCruise

Not just those two examples. Overall, the food seemed to us, uh...boring. Bland.

I can be more detailed.

They had Vegetable Tempura one night in the Windows dinning room. It was soggy and cold. My significant other had the grilled chicken. They put no attention at all to the food presentation on the plate. A scoop of rice, cold broccoli and a hunk of chicken. (Looked like something we serve to patients at the hospital where I work. Just needed some of that special grey gravy.:))

S.O. ordered scrambled eggs at breakfast. Got a plate full of the funniest looking eggs I've ever seen. She said they were cold and really salty. Cold toast was the norm and I won't mention the coffee, because on all the cruises I've taken the only way to get a halfway decent cup is to buy one at the cash coffee kiosk on most ships.

Eggplant Parm had some real odd tasting sauce. Again, not even approaching hot.

When I describe cruise ship food to non cruisers, I usually compare it to wedding food. If its a fancy wedding, can be pretty good, sometimes excellent. A modest wedding, you get stuffed chicken. All mass produced, but mass produced can be tasty, hot, and inventive too.

This trip on NCL was a definitely a modest wedding, at best.

I

It could be worse, what if you were stood up at the alter?

[After all I get from this great site, its always nice to give something back.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed report. I really appreciated that you listed what you enjoyed as well as what NCL can improve. Let's face it......NCL should pay close attention to what their customers have to say.....A good company listens and always tries to improve! (I love NCL.......)

Cruising in Europe is just a dream of mine currently, but someday I hope to post such a review! Hopefully by then they will figure out a way to serve warm food!

Kim

How many passengers does the Spirit leave behind in each port? Quite a few I would say. If the Captain on this sailing was Vanja Litovic, and I think it was, then there would be no daily bulletin telling you but if it was Lars Bengtsson then he would take great delight in reporting those days when all of his little chickens came home to roost in the coop.

When we sail we do some ports on our own, and others we do a ship tour. Livorno I would always book ship transport or a private tour as there are way too many things that can really spoil your day on a DIY excursion.

I'm paraphrasing because I'm too lazy to quote.

The OP started off his review by saying it was a great trip, all about the ports, OP had a great time, trip wasn't spoiled in any way, but here are some things NCL might want to address.

And yes, I would say the fact that the Spirit is going into drydock will address stuff like the windows.

And yes, I agree that drydock is not likely to address Gio.

I also agree with the poster who said ... we're reviewing a vacation here, not medicare etc., etc. Reviews are interesting to read, and you take them for what they are, one person's opinion.

I agreed with part of your review, OP and disagreed with parts, but I still enjoyed reading it and I'm glad you had a positive vacation overall.

ConnCruise....

Maybe the warnings about self-guided tours are simply not directed at you. OTHERS however, who are NOT on their 11th cruise, may not realize the risk they run, if the Italian trains (one of our tour guides used to differentiate between Italian time, and German time....one being umm....flexible, the other precise) are delayed.

We did both Florence & Pisa on our own one day. Took a taxi from Livorno to the train station (10E), train to Florence, and then train to Pisa & back.

The train from Florence to Pisa broke down & was cancelled.

Luckily between my SO and I, we speak several languages (none of which is Italian) and were able to deduce an alternate train route which would keep us on schedule. We did have to run through the station, because the alternate was leaving in 5 minutes.

But we were in our young-mid years... I can't imagine my grandmother having gotten back to the ship in this situation.

So you and your partner have things under control... just ignore the warnings...and the Bingo announcements. They're intended for others.

As to the toast, I believe you may have to expressly ask for freshly-made toast. You're absolutely right that MDR cruiseship food (from what I hear, on most mainstream lines) is pre-made. That is, there's a tray of toast, another of French toast, another of bacon, etc.

Servers assemble the plates when they need them, from heat-lamp warmed food.

If you are particular about the temperature, then be specific and precise with the server. They can request just-in-time toast for you.

With regard to the windows, do you mean that the moisture seal has deteriorated over time and there's salt build-up between the panes? (Just not sure what you meant by 'fouled').

You are clearly way smarter than me.

Seriously, I've been on 11 cruises. I've gotten plenty of custom made meals. HA and Celebrity don't have any problem doing something special.

But if you really would like to know what my special requests were: 1.) Lettuce and tomato at breakfast and a double salad at dinner. Pretty complicated stuff.

I'm glad you like the way Geo's suit fit. I didn't get that close.

While you didn't request complicated stuff, most folks don't have a salad for breakfast. Since it isn't on the menu, it isn't readily available in the galley. The walk in coolers and freezers aren't just a few steps away. It is folks like you with their personal requests which delay service for the rest of us. Why not go with the flow and enjoy whatever fruit they have readily available? NCL doesn't advertise like Burger King have it your way.

I'm just going to second the post that states that not all announcements are made for all cruisers. I was in Naples last year on NCL and it was Mayday which led to lots of excursions both sponsored and independent being late past the due back on board time of 6 or so.. The ship waited til 9 ish to sail, but we didn't have far to go. Experienced cruisers may build in extra time, but there are plenty of people on board who need more guidance.

Thanks for the review. Very sad they didn't accommodate your food requests. I think I alter many dishes for dinner in the MDR. I have to agree though. I've only been on the Spirit once and it's was probably my least favourite. Old and the Asian decor was a little tacky. Just my opinion. Thanks for the heads up on Livorno/Florence. That and Tunisia are probably the two ports on my upcoming cruise-21 days Med - on the Jade where I will take a ship tour

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Seriously, I've been on 11 cruises. I've gotten plenty of custom made meals. HA and Celebrity don't have any problem doing something special.

Apples to oranges.

I agree with the cruise director observations - very slick type & not the best we've had; spoiled by Julie on our first NCL cruise.:D

Food is completely subjective. We found most of the dishes to be perfectly acceptable, but we have no special requests. I think there's a menu for a reason.

We saw the foggy windows issues too & repairmen were actually replacing several outside at the bottom of the sport court stairs a few days during our cruise. Overall the ship was in decent shape.

Of all the entertainment, the only act that was decent was the acrobatic couple. The rest were just so-so to bad.

I never heard a single comment or announcement about needing to use the ship's excursion. Maybe because we never asked a crew member about any excursions at all? We DIY in every single port & did both Florence & Pisa on public transportation (taxi to the train station) just fine.

The trains in Naples going to Pompeii are disgusting, but get you where you need to go just fine.

Oh & there's free wifi at most McDonalds'.:D

You are clearly way smarter than me.

But if you really would like to know what my special requests were: 1.) Lettuce and tomato at breakfast and a double salad at dinner. Pretty complicated stuff.

I'm glad you like the way Geo's suit fit. I didn't get that close.

Are you saying they wouldn't give you two salads at dinner?

That is weird. I've never asked for double salad, but have had no problem getting two entrees or two desserts on any NCL ship, including Spirit (April 2011)

Archived