Cruising with Zay - A Breakaway Review

TnomadX

Hi, I am looking forward to reading your review as I am going to be on Breakaway in May 2014 and I have never sailed with NCL, so I have a lot of learning to do. I see from the daily paper that tickets are required for Second City. Did you see them and if so, was it difficult to obtain tickets? I'd hate to miss a show because I didn't know that I needed to get tickets beforehand and it would never occur to me if I hadn't read your post. Thanks! Laurie

I did catch Second City. Tickets were only required for the Dysfunctional Family Reunion. It was a Cover charge of $20 Dollars and lunch was served. They have a show each night, so you will have an opportunity to catch them. Just remember that the later the show, the more adult the show is. They ask that you make reservations for the shows, but I didn't have a problem getting in to see them. I would encourage you to make at least one reservation, and then try to get into another one to see if you have difficly. I saw three of their shows without any problems.

This was my first NCL cruise as well. Keep following me so that you get an idea of what to expect. Each day was a different experience.

I love your style of writing and your feelings really come thru, great review looking forward to the rest of it. Thank you so much

Thank you. I really try to give a full overview, and it includes sharing my feelings. Keep following. I can't wait to share more.

Thank you so much Zay for your review so far. I'm about to board the Breakaway in a few hours! Getting nervous but hopefully it'll be a smooth sailing. The large scanned dailies are great. Looking forward to reading more once the ship gets to FL and I have cellular service again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much Zay for your review so far. I'm about to board the Breakaway in a few hours! Getting nervous but hopefully it'll be a smooth sailing. The large scanned dailies are great. Looking forward to reading more once the ship gets to FL and I have cellular service again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have a great cruise. Everyone's experience is different. Whatever happens, remember to have a great time because you're on vacation. Can't wait to hear about it when you return.

Have a great cruise. Everyone's experience is different. Whatever happens, remember to have a great time because you're on vacation. Can't wait to hear about it when you return.

Zay, can you let us know how Great Stirrup Cay was when you post day 4? Specifically, tendering, food and how crowded it was, and what activities that you did.

Many thanks...

Edited by limeyalchemist

Zay, can you let us know how Great Stirrup Cay was when you post day 4? Specifically, tendering, food and how crowded it was, and what activities that you did.

Many thanks...

I sure will. For us, that was day four. I will try to post that for you some time today. I am writing day three right now.

Thank you for your review - you write them like I do, step by step - I love that! Normally, I take cruises as they come, but this year, we'll be on breakaway with DS and DN, 17 and 13, so I need a lil more "structure" - your review is very helpful, keep going!

Dear Zay,

Thank you so very much for posting and for including the Dailies. Your review is interesting and incredibly helpful! We're thinking about going on a sailing in December and your info is helping us plan. I love hearing about your experiences.

Can't wait to read more:).

Today I woke up a little later because of staying out late the night before. I couldn't wait to get off the ship because I was in Port Canaveral...an hour away from one of my favorite places on earth....Disney. I decided to skip breakfast and meet some cruise critic friends down in the Atrium to exit the ship. Exiting took a while because many people wanted to get off. We were not able to get off right at 12 because of the large crowd. I believe they were trying to organize those who had excursions through the ship as well which took a few minutes.

We finally made it off the ship around 12:30pm. My friends had rented a car, and we took a taxi to Thrifty Car Rental. I will warn you that the taxis here will try to fill up the van before they take off. This may take a little bit of time depending on the number of people going. We made it to Thrifty about 12:45pm or so. Much to our surprise, we had a long wait. The car rental agency only had one person working, and there were quite a few people waiting to get their rental car as well. One would think that there would probably be a need to have at least another person working to accommodate the ship.

We got the car around 1:30 and off we went racing for Epcot. I think we were all a little nervous because we had already lost so much time, but we were having fun with it. It took about an hour to get there. My cruise critic friends (who are now family to me) had connections at Disney, so we were able to park at one of the resorts for free. We decided to walk over to Epcot and finally made it around 3pm. Realizing we had limited time, the women got us organized and took us to the main attractions. We were able to ride only three rides (the one we wanted had a long wait time), and we had a great time. We LOVED Test Trac. They've changed it up a little to make it more fun for riders. You now get to customize your own car. As you're riding, it tells you how your design holds up during the ride. It was awesome.

After our rides, we decided to go attend the food festival held there. I had never been to one before, so I was curious to have the experience. How it works is you stop at each of the countries, and they have a small menu of items to try (usually about two items). There's a small cover charge between $3.95 to $5.95 for a small sample of the food. I guess that's Disney's way of A lot of the food I was afraid to try because I couldn't pronounce it (I now that's bad...lol). The guys stopped at Poland and had the polish sausage and caramelized onions.....YUCK!!!! We kept walking and found a Werther's Original shop. The caramel smelled so good, I couldn't help myself. I had to get a caramel apple because I hadn't had one of those in YEARS!!! It was sooooo good. My friends got some cookies that they enjoyed as well.

We continued throughout our journey through the food festival and stopped at a few shops in China and Japan. Then we made it to Belgium. The guys had to try the Belgium Waffles. Boy are we glad we did. They were AWESOME!!!! It definitely made the food festival worth it for me. What a sweet ending to our day at Epcot.

We headed back to the car to go back to the ship. We made a pit stop at CVS to get a few items, then we raced back to the ship (it was about 6:30 when we left Epcot). We called our cab when we were 10 minutes away from Thrifty. When we pulled in, there was a taxi waiting for us. We thought it a bit strange that he was in a standard car, and I really thought this guy looked a little scary. He told us where to put the keys, and we got it. My friend got a phone call from our actual taxi company telling us we were in the wrong car. We immediately told him to stop, but he was sure we were in the right car. We weren't taking any chances because he just looked scary. We got out really quick and headed over to our actual taxi driver. We were so relieved that he called us. The other guy might have been okay, but there was just something about him that said "GET OUT". We made it back to the ship around 8:30.

So here's my advice about visiting Port Canaveral. I would recommend not waisting any money or time trying to go to any Disney Park. Disney Parks are very expensive...especially for a day. In my opinion, it won't be worth it. You really need a whole day to explore the park, and we were really worrying about making it back to the ship in time. If you really want to go, I would encourage you to make plans to do so on the ship as you may get more time there. I think it would have been better if we had done something a little closer like the space center. Those who went there had an excellent time. I was a little jealous (but I did enjoy Disney very much.)

I had reservations for Le Bistro for 9:30 tonight, and I was pretty excited. I thought I was going to get a 5-course meal (I've never been to a specialty restaurant on a cruise before). It was pretty much similar to the main dining rooms, only they offered the French Cuisine. Dinner was good tonight. The service was a little better than it had been in the main dining rooms. I think I was expecting the type of service I've received on previous cruise lines. On other lines, servers are very attentive. You get an assistant server, main server, and the head server. Someone usually comes around and ask you how you're doing, but this didn't happen very often on the Breakaway. On this ship, there's only the one server. They're extremely busy and may sometimes forget that you're there. That's how I felt about Le Bistro as well. Smaller venue, but still very busy.

I decided to have the Three-mushroom soup (you only get three mushrooms...lol), grilled Pork Chop and the Salmon with custard for dessert. All was pretty good. I really enjoyed the custard best, and I typically don't like custard. It had great texture, and just the right amount of sweetness for me. All in all, I found Le Bistro to be good.

What I've discovered about service on the Breakaway is that it's hit or miss. Sometimes you may get a server who is very attentive, while others are not as much. My friends who I spent the day with had a horrible experience at Le Bistro. One of them needed gluten free, and they went the day before to order what they needed. The day they dined, their order was wrong, and they almost gave them food that wasn't gluten free.

My night ended with a couple of friend I had met onboard. We just happened to be in the Atrium when they were getting ready to do the "Dancing with the Breakaway Stars." If you've seen Dancing with the Stars, this is nothing like it...lol. I LOVED this show. You have since Breakaway Staff dancing with 6 guests (be sure to sign up if you would like to be a contestant). They play random music, and each couple goes for it. The judges give their comments, but the audience gets to vote. It was a hoot watching people dance and enjoy themselves so much. This made for a great way to end the night.

I forgot to mention....remember the twins I met on day one? Before I got off the ship, I went to the 14th floor just to browse around. The twins were in the pool and noticed me from a distance. As I got closer, the little girl jumped into my arms and gave me the biggest hug. That made my day. Then we saw the Disney ship (I believe it was the Magic) pulling up. and they got really excited about that. Who wouldn't get excited about seeing Mickey Mouse?

I thought it was a good day today. Anybody ready for Day 4? I'll be posting it some time today I promise.

--

Zay

Dear Zay,

Thank you so very much for posting and for including the Dailies. Your review is interesting and incredibly helpful! We're thinking about going on a sailing in December and your info is helping us plan. I love hearing about your experiences.

Can't wait to read more:).

I didn't bring my kiddos with me this cruise, but it appeared that there was a lot for them to do. I don't believe they will be bored at all. All the kids I saw were having a great time. More dailies to come. I hope to finish the review this week.

A lot of times when a review is in progress, I tend to not leave a reply as I prefer to wait but never get back after that so I will say it now...

Nicely done review. Look forward to reading the rest. Thanks! :)

Thanks so much. I hope you don't leave me though. I'm planning on being done this week while things are fresh. I took some notes each night to help me remember. I promise to finish the review.

Great review. Thanks for posting and all the good tips. Can't wait to read the rest.

Thanks for dailys too, I can start planning my days :D

You're quite welcome. The dailies may change when you sail, but I think most of their activities will be the same. More review to come.

I did catch Second City. Tickets were only required for the Dysfunctional Family Reunion. It was a Cover charge of $20 Dollars and lunch was served. They have a show each night, so you will have an opportunity to catch them. Just remember that the later the show, the more adult the show is. They ask that you make reservations for the shows, but I didn't have a problem getting in to see them. I would encourage you to make at least one reservation, and then try to get into another one to see if you have difficly. I saw three of their shows without any problems.

This was my first NCL cruise as well. Keep following me so that you get an idea of what to expect. Each day was a different experience.

You have no idea how happy I was to get up this morning and see all the activity from you; unfortunately I had other things to do first so I just got to sit down and catch up on the newest posts. I'm subscribed so I don't miss a line, LOL!

I see you have an upcoming Princess cruise; have you sailed with them before? Most of my cruises have been with Princess and I'm really interested if you are able to comment on your NCL experience compared to Princess. Like you, I believe there is no bad vacation and I'll have a great time no matter what. The most striking thing so far in your review are your comments about service. I too have experienced the primary + assistant server and headwaiter style of service. Last year my husband and I chose to sit in the same service area with a delightful pair of gentleman servers with whom we had a wonderful week. On previous cruises we had not done this (we are "anytime/freestyle" types), but these two guys are really special. In fact they are part of the reason I chose to cruise on Emerald again this winter; even though we were in anytime dining the headwaiter immediately realized our pleasure and offered us seating in their location every night. I am VERY surprised on a ship the size of Breakaway that they would be staffed in a manner that clearly stresses the staff and diminishes the customer's experience. Thanks again for your comments and informative review, Laurie

Zay, it was great meeting you at our M&M. We also had a very good time on the Breakaway.

Couple of things that came to mind based on your review so far:

This was my first time free-style cruising. I really liked it! And, I loved the variety of restaurants on board. Overall, we had a very good experience with the food and the servers in all the venues we used.

The lunch menu in Savor on the embarkation day was the first time that menu was used. Just introduced on the Breakaway. If they get good feedback, it will be introduced fleetwide. I liked it. Had lunch there 2 days.

For sailaway, we went to SpiceH2O. It's top deck aft. Best way to get there is from the aft elevators. Terrific location. Can see from starboard to aft to port, so a great view. It was especially nice due to our fabulous weather!

I wonder if the family with twins you mentioned were the same ones I met in the elevator one night. It was dad and the twins. They were on the way to the "circus". They were so excited. When I told them they had to look up to see the circus, they just couldn't believe it. I wish I had run into them later to see how they liked it.

Please don't mention the pot pie in O'Sheehans again. Most everyone in my group had it at some time, and really liked it. It was on my to do list, and I never managed to have it. I feel so left out that I didn't have one!

You also mentioned the polish sausage in EPCOT. We were at the Food and Wine last year, and this was something we had to go back for a second time! In our area, it's called kielbasi, and we love it! Maybe it's something you have to grow up with.

Keep up the good work. You are helping me relive the great week we had on the Breakaway.

You have no idea how happy I was to get up this morning and see all the activity from you; unfortunately I had other things to do first so I just got to sit down and catch up on the newest posts. I'm subscribed so I don't miss a line, LOL!

I see you have an upcoming Princess cruise; have you sailed with them before? Most of my cruises have been with Princess and I'm really interested if you are able to comment on your NCL experience compared to Princess. Like you, I believe there is no bad vacation and I'll have a great time no matter what. The most striking thing so far in your review are your comments about service. I too have experienced the primary + assistant server and headwaiter style of service. Last year my husband and I chose to sit in the same service area with a delightful pair of gentleman servers with whom we had a wonderful week. On previous cruises we had not done this (we are "anytime/freestyle" types), but these two guys are really special. In fact they are part of the reason I chose to cruise on Emerald again this winter; even though we were in anytime dining the headwaiter immediately realized our pleasure and offered us seating in their location every night. I am VERY surprised on a ship the size of Breakaway that they would be staffed in a manner that clearly stresses the staff and diminishes the customer's experience. Thanks again for your comments and informative review, Laurie

Great!! There's still quite a bit to share. I've never been on Princess before, but I've heard great things about them. I'll be able to compare them come January. I really missed the trio servers in the dining experience on the Breakaway. As you said, it made for very stressed servers. Some of my fellow passengers were affected by the stress. This was my first time with the freestyle approach, and it was very different. Having the same servers (for me) makes a huge difference. They learn what your likes are and make recommendations based on what they've learned about you. I missed that terribly. I'm hoping the Breakaway will offer something similar soon.

Zay, it was great meeting you at our M&M. We also had a very good time on the Breakaway.

Couple of things that came to mind based on your review so far:

This was my first time free-style cruising. I really liked it! And, I loved the variety of restaurants on board. Overall, we had a very good experience with the food and the servers in all the venues we used.

The lunch menu in Savor on the embarkation day was the first time that menu was used. Just introduced on the Breakaway. If they get good feedback, it will be introduced fleetwide. I liked it. Had lunch there 2 days.

For sailaway, we went to SpiceH2O. It's top deck aft. Best way to get there is from the aft elevators. Terrific location. Can see from starboard to aft to port, so a great view. It was especially nice due to our fabulous weather!

I wonder if the family with twins you mentioned were the same ones I met in the elevator one night. It was dad and the twins. They were on the way to the "circus". They were so excited. When I told them they had to look up to see the circus, they just couldn't believe it. I wish I had run into them later to see how they liked it.

Please don't mention the pot pie in O'Sheehans again. Most everyone in my group had it at some time, and really liked it. It was on my to do list, and I never managed to have it. I feel so left out that I didn't have one!

You also mentioned the polish sausage in EPCOT. We were at the Food and Wine last year, and this was something we had to go back for a second time! In our area, it's called kielbasi, and we love it! Maybe it's something you have to grow up with.

Keep up the good work. You are helping me relive the great week we had on the Breakaway.

Awe, thank you. It was great meeting you too. We did have fabulous weather during sail away. I wonder if it was the same twins. Weren't they cute? And yes it was the kielbasa. Maybe I just wasn't used to it...lol. I don't know that I'd do the festival again as it can get pricey really quick.

That Pot Pie was really good. I can still taste it right now. One of my favorites there. I LOVE the fact that it's open 24/7.

I'm loving the opportunity to share our experience and relive the journey all over again. It excites me when people comment and ask questions. I guess I'm a little weird, huh? LOL...

Love your review so far! Thanks for being so detailed and with lots of tips. We're sailing BA this summer (with my son Brian 18). We promise to be at muster ON TIME !!

~robin and brian

Carnival Legend 2008

Carnival Miracle 2010

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

I finally made it to day 4. YAY. I know many are wondering about the private island so here goes....

We arrived at Great Stirrup Cay earlier than planned, so they began the tendering process. Those that want to get off and visit the island early, be sure to sign up as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the earlier you can get off the ship. I decided to wait until open tendering as I wasn't in any hurry to get off the ship. I was able to get off the ship at 11am with open tendering. I spent the entire time on the island with a cruise critic friend of mine. Ass we did was just walk around the island watching everyone else have a great time. There were people swimming, lounging around in the chairs, eating, flying kites, and more. Everyone I saw seemed relaxed. There was a group of musicians playing island music as you entered the island.

Now, I've seen quite a few posts about how crowded the island is. What I discovered is that as you enter the island, you see quite a few people enjoying the island at the front. This area is the most crowded area. While it was more crowded, we still saw that there were a few empty chairs around. We just continued to walk the island. The further back we walked, the emptier the island gets and more seats / chairs become available. We continued to walk until we got to the back of the island, and there was hardly anyone there. They even had food back there as well. The area where the food is served is covered, and not a lot of workers because people don't typically travel back there. It's a bit of hike to get there, but if you like a more private and intimate setting, I really recommend taking the journey to the back. It took us about 15 minutes or so to get back there. The area is called the Lagoon. Seats were plentiful, and there was no waiting in line for food as there was closer to the front. Please note that there are several stations for food. If one is crowded, take a walk to the next one. They also have places to buy your drinks as well.

There are locals on the island, so if you'd like to purchase some things to take home by the locals, they can only accept cash. I didn't buy anything because I've done that before, and...well...I don't have those items anymore because they broke very quickly. Perhaps you'll be luckier than I was and get something that will last a little while. Many of the items are hand made, so go for it. I just chose to enjoy the island.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember to take your sunblock, especially if you are going to swim. It was pretty hot at the island, and the sun is very strong. Even if it is cloudy, take the sunscreen. It's going to be worth it, I promise.

I found the food on the island was pretty good. Like many cruise lines at their private islands, they had barbecued chicken, ribs, and other kinds of meats. There was also corn, salads, fruits, baked beans, and other vegetables that I can't remember. Just know that there's plenty of food. The one item that stands out to me is the chicken. The chicken I thought was excellent. I believe it was Jerk Chicken. Whatever it was, I enjoyed it very much. There was some type of fruit that they created stars out of. It looked like kiwi initially. Whatever it was, stay away from it. It looks good, but the taste was very bitter. Everything else was actually pretty good. I thought NCL did a great job with the food there. Others may disagree, but I'm really not very picky (even though it may sound like it...lol). It's just a matter of personal preference.

As I mentioned before, the island is beautiful, and they're still working on it to create more things for passengers to enjoy. The friend I was with remembered going to the island in April, and he was amazed at how much had been added since he last visited. It's really worth the visit. Also, there are some beautiful places to take pictures of you and the ship. You have to at least go halfway through the island to get a good shot of you and ship without the trees in the background.

I like to think of myself as a social butterfly, so I got a chance to visit with quite a few people on the island. I met a couple that is from Jamaica, but lives in New York. They were a very nice couple. We talked about the food on the island and how surprised we were. We also talked about how we seem to never get full when served buffet style. When we have to pay for food, we seem to get full quicker....lol. Do you find that to be true too? I couldn't do anything but laugh because I know it's true for me and my family.

We headed back to the Ship around 3pm. On the way back, my social butterfly-ness kicked in and I had run into several people I met on board and through cruise critic. Let me just say that it is highly beneficial to have an active roll call on cruise critic. It really makes for a nice cruise. You meet so many people on board that makes you feel so much like having a family on board. It was so nice to have so many people recognize me. I took pictures with most of the people I had met on board and cruise critic. It was really great to have such a nice beach day.

I finally made it back to the tender at 4:30. On the way back, the water was VERY rocky. I couldn't wait to get back to the ship just so I could stop that rocking. When I made it back, I decided to go to the Gelato shop (another form of ice cream). For a small cover charge, the gelato was really good. I got the white chocolate flavor in a cone. I met someone from upstate New York who was there with his injured sone. His son broke his arm at the island, and they had to get him back to the ship to see a doctor. I was glad to hear that they hadn't charged him for that visit. The last time I was on a cruise, my daughter got very ill, and I was charged very heavily. You are not able to use your insurance on board the ship. You can in most cases, take the receipt and submit to your insurance for reimbursement.

While at the Gelato Shop, I got a chance to talk with someone who worked there. I used this opportunity to learn more about the ship as a whole. I asked her what her experience has been like since she's been onboard. She told me that most of the crew work nine to 11 months out of the year, and get 2 1/2 months off. Sometimes she has had rude passengers, but she didn't let it bother her. She understood why they would be upset, and that she always tries to calm them down. Her biggest frustrations (and I hope I'm not getting anyone into any trouble here) is that the three main dining rooms (The Manhattan Dining Room, Taste, & Savor) share the same galley. That means that all the dishes from all three restaurants are being washed in the same place. That makes for a lot of work for the crew in the galley and the servers. These restaurants also share the same menu, and all the food is coming from the same place. It's just a matter of picking the setting you'd like to enjoy your meal.

I'm going to touch on the service in the dining rooms just a little bit more here. I talked with many passengers and most of them felt the exact same way. If you've cruised any other line, you'll notice that the dining experience is pretty much the same. You typically eat at the same time and have the same wait staff. They get to know your likes and makes suggestions based on what they've learned about you. Many of the servers go over and beyond to provide you with the best service, even if the food isn't the best. As I mentioned before, service does lack a little on the Breakaway because of being understaffed. Because it is freestyle dining, you don't get the same wait staff each day. If you'd like to have the same wait staff, I encourage you to make reservations for the same restaurant each night for the same time. It may make a world of difference for you.

Now...returning back to my day....lol. I decided to go to the Second City show. I didn't have reservations, but I was able to walk right in without problems. I thought the show was really good. It IS an adult show, so I wouldn't recommend taking kids to this at all. It's pretty much impromptu acting and singing, and I thought the cast did an amazing job. They feed off of the audience, so you make the show. Some of the songs I thought were hilarious. A couple of people I met onboard were chosen to answer a few questions about their life, and then the cast acted their life on stage. It was very funny, and I don't know if they realized how accurate they were...lol.

After seeing Second City, I went to the Cirque Dreams since I had reservations already. Let me tell you that this was an excellent show to see. For me, it was one of the best shows I've seen at sea. It was a cover charge of $39.99 per person, but I thought it was worth every penny. There is a menu for the evening that tells you what they are serving. If you need to change something due to allergies or whatever reason, they will check with you. I found that they were very accommodating. They served salad, Filet Mignon, broccoli, Potatoes (mashed & baked), and a desert sampler. I thought it was good, but others found it lacking. Honestly, I couldn't concentrate on eating because once I took my eyes off the show, I missed something. Everybody would start applauding, and I'd be upset for looking away :(. I really, really recommend you seeing this show. You will absolutely love it. I even recommend taking the children to see this show. It's just that amazing.

After the show, I had one more reservation for the Comedy show. Honestly, i couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to see his show. I was really trying to stay awake, but my eyes just wouldn't let me...lol. The comedian was also a magician, and he actually is very good. People were really impressed by him, and they spoke very highly of him. I decided to go ahead and leave since I wasn't able to stay awake anyway.

On the way back to my stateroom, I ran into some other friends of mine, and we ended up talking for another hour. They had no clue I was fighting sleep. I did finally make my way to the room and crashed for the night.

Day four was such a wonderful day. I had a fantastic time. Great beach and sea day.

Stay tuned. More is on the way. I promise to finish this soon.

Edited by TnomadX