Can "full-figured" gal do the embera dug out canoe tour?

Violet May traveler

We will be on Coral Princess in February & very much want to do the Embera tour in dug out canoes. But I am a "Full-Figured" gal & am concerned about fitting in the canoe. How embarrassing to make it sink Ha! I'm not THAT big, but seriously - - how ample & sturdy are the canoes? How difficult are they to get in & out of? How strenuous is the trek into the village? How embarrassing are these questions???

I would appreciate input from anyone having done this tour. Thanks a bunch!

The dugout canoe, locally called a cayuco that they used is fairly

a substantial craft. Take a look at the youtube video in the link below. That will give you a good idea as to their size.

PS... not my video...

Edited by BillB48

Good video Bill. These are dug out of BIG trees! "Full figured' can mean lots of things but a lot of cruise pax are full figured. You'll have more sitting space on an Embera dug out canoe than on your ship lifeboat should you ever need it? Ever see how small the "seat" is to cram 150 or more folks in a lifeboat?

The bigger problem I've found is knees and getting up after sitting for 45 minutes, but the guys are very helpful to help you in and out of the boat. The villages are build up a slope next to the river to keep them from flooding out during the rainy season. Again, you'll find these folks very welcoming and anxious to help. Go and enjoy!!

Take old shoes that you don't mind getting wet or muddy if it rains.s

Regards, Richard