to aft or not to aft

hlb76

We had booked Freedom (Oct 14) a while back during the preview sale. I have been stalking prices and watching for ES to become available. Well it has but the price is not better :( but there is another sale going on that I can move to an Aft cabin for $150 more. Just trying to decide if I should go for it now or wait it out? I do like our cabin ( 8f deck 10) we have now but I keep hearing about how great the aft cabins are. I really want a aft wrap but that is out of the budget at this point.

What would you do??

We had booked Freedom (Oct 14) a while back during the preview sale. I have been stalking prices and watching for ES to become available. Well it has but the price is not better :( but there is another sale going on that I can move to an Aft cabin for $150 more. Just trying to decide if I should go for it now or wait it out? I do like our cabin ( 8f deck 10) we have now but I keep hearing about how great the aft cabins are. I really want a aft wrap but that is out of the budget at this point.

What would you do??

Keep checking and if the price is right I would give it a try.

:)

What would you do??

The DW and I would always book an OV or inside. Until one sailing when RCCL gave us a free upgrade at checkin. yes, an aft balcony :eek:. We have, since that day, when available, booked aft balcony. Breakfast or dinner on the balcony with the ships wake is very calming. You also get a great view when you're leaving port. :D. Booked #8339 on Sunshine.

Edited by miataman19

Thanks.. Anyone have any pics to help sway me? $150 is a drop in the bucket as we are booked so far out. So I'm willing to pay it if it worth it. There are lots of afts right now 2 whole decks worth to tell the truth.

I would love the aft wrap but that about $500 more and I can't justify it right now. Thats almost another cruise. One day I will though

Love, love the aft cabins!

If you enjoy a quieter hall, a gorgeous unending view & bigger balcony, do not hesitate on booking the aft cabin.

The only downsides are the noise docking at ports, very brief & necessary and the longer walks to get to your cabin...both minor IMHO & experiences.

What would you do??

Ever since my first aft on the Conquest, that is really my favorite place to be. The Conquest was an aft-wrap and of course there are only six of those so they can get pretty much whatever they want for them. I had 8448 on the Conquest. It MADE the whole cruise! The ONLY issue is with deck 8 aft-facing cabins is the Lido deck is one deck up and you will hear chairs scraping in the early morning hours. BUT on the plus side of deck 8 is it's literally just one deck up to well EVERYTHING! Pizza, Grill, and aft pool is one deck up! VERY convenient! The Freedom should be the same way!

P5060385.JPG

P5060386.JPG

P5060374.JPG

BTW...I had a spa balcony for my coming up Valor cruise and just couldn't take it! I swapped to a deck 7 aft-facing! Deck 7 may very well be the best deck here as you have cabins above and below you.

The SECOND aft-facing cabin I had was an SF aboard the NCL Star. SUPER!

P4150114.JPG

P4150115.JPG

The SOUND back there is truly something you'll never forget and honestly the view coming into port is second to none!

150 bucks??? You'll never miss it!

The Aft Extended balconies are supposed to be 60 sq ft. There are some that are larger though. The one I have booked on the Dream is reported to be 30-50% larger than the ones next to it. I have one next to the aft wrap. Which ship and cabins are you looking at? There might be one of these type still available. I can check it for you on the website that I am a member of.

I also always wanted to try an aft balcony since I love looking at the wake - after finally trying one, I am now a member of the "tried it don't need to do it again" club. Most of the ships are stairstepped up so the balconies above you look right down onto yours. The first morning I walked outside in my robe with my coffee I had about 10 people wishing me good morning. Not that I don't love to visit with other people, just not before I've showered and am ready to be seen. Folks in the aft cabins are definately a freindly bunch of folks and most of the swear by the aft cabins. All that aside we had an opporunity to have an aft-wrap one time and that more than made up for any lack of privacy... it was a one time splurge on the budget but sooo worth it!

I know I will be the minority but we had a aft on the Legend and we won't get one again because of the heat. There was NO breeze. Yes the views are awesome, the balcony is not that much bigger, ours did not have a chaise only 2 chairs.

On our up coming cruise I booked the aft wrap.

Had booked the extended balcony on port side beside the aft wrap (early saver) and kept getting price reductions enough so when the aft wrap became affordable I switched to it. I am so excited. I got it for a real good deal I think. 899pp plus have 140$ on board credit7day on the dream to st Thomas.

I checked the fare viewer everyday!!!! Sometimes twice a day.

Edited by pambud96

Had an Aft balcony on Triumph in 2011. Have to agree there is no breeze, tends to get hot, and we had some soot as well.

The wake was nice, and views in and out of port were nice, but IMHO, not worth the price.

My DD did use it for tanning one day.

What about engine noise in the aft?

I have never noticed engine noise. The noise of the water is all I have heard. If you go to youtube you can find quite a few videos of aft balconies. You can see and hear what it is like by watching them.

Just had my first aft on Glory and we loved it. There is some engine noise and vibration but nothing that bothered us. We were in 7446 so there were cabins above and below. I really appreciated it was larger that the regular balcony.

My only complaint withe the Aft cabin was I was really sea sick the whole time. I never get that mid ship. We just booked another cruise and the agent suggested we go higher- the last time we were on 6. I am mid ship again, on the side! I can't risk it. However you have to try once and see!

I also always wanted to try an aft balcony since I love looking at the wake - after finally trying one, I am now a member of the "tried it don't need to do it again" club. Most of the ships are stairstepped up so the balconies above you look right down onto yours. The first morning I walked outside in my robe with my coffee I had about 10 people wishing me good morning. Not that I don't love to visit with other people, just not before I've showered and am ready to be seen. Folks in the aft cabins are definately a freindly bunch of folks and most of the swear by the aft cabins. All that aside we had an opporunity to have an aft-wrap one time and that more than made up for any lack of privacy... it was a one time splurge on the budget but sooo worth it!

We are with you on the "tried it but don't need to do it again". I wasn't impressed with the stadium stacking of the balconies either. While our neighbors were very respectful, I like to enjoy the balcony in my robe, with hair in towel, before dinner, early a.m., etc. and I never really had any alone time to enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

With that said, I say everybody needs to try a true aft balcony at least once! Meanwhile, we will try to always book the L-shaped balconies ;)

What would you do??

We sailed recently on the Legend and had a Vista Suite, sadly we will be sailing less because I am now a room snob. I can't even imagine anything other than an aft balcony, preferably the VS. Guess we're going to have to sail less to pay up for those IMHO premium rooms. Seriously though enjoy for cruise regardless of location and stay within a budget your comfortable in that way you'll enjoy it even more.

The Aft Extended balconies are supposed to be 60 sq ft. There are some that are larger though. The one I have booked on the Dream is reported to be 30-50% larger than the ones next to it. I have one next to the aft wrap. Which ship and cabins are you looking at? There might be one of these type still available. I can check it for you on the website that I am a member of.

Freedom 10/14 we need a cabin for 3 - no trundle It looks like those are only on deck 6 from what I could gather.

Tried the aft as well and I agree with the others that didn't like it - the heat, no breeze, and those above look right down on you. Not to mention the soot accumulation, and cigarette butts from those above. After all of that, do you know what annoyed me the most? Not being able to see where I was going!!!!