Missing Houston woman from the Elation

ptater

This is so terrible. We were just on the Elation. What area of the ship would she have jumped from where no one would have seen her and been able to help her? I can't think of many places where she would be completely alone. My heart and prayers go out to her family.

A quote from the KBTV news article above: "Garcia says federal agents do receive regular calls about people being lost at sea while on a cruise ship."

I'm just curious (and a little nervous) as a first-time cruiser (9/05) what's happened in these cases, these "regular calls". Are most suicides? Some criminal? How often? Anyone know of yearly averages?

I don't hear many news stories related to cruising, probably because there isn't much cruise activity in my area of California. But of course the story of the missing East Coast honeymooner has had international news coverage.

I don't hear many news stories related to cruising, probably because there isn't much cruise activity in my area of California. But of course the story of the missing East Coast honeymooner has had international news coverage.

You proably wont hear much about it because its not good for bussiness.

We were just on the Elation this past week. A fellow passenger told me that the women's body was found a few days after the event by the Mexican Navy.

I also live in Houston, where it was a news story that Sunday evening the ship returned. I kept watching the news and looking in the paper for any follow up story, but never saw anything, so I can't say that the above is true, but its the rumor I heard this past week.

Archived