False shipboard rumors!!

CruzinCooks

According to the news reports and some web sites there were no injuries....

http://fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=77336:passenger-recounts-cruise-ship-tender-accident&Itemid=938

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Events_by_Celebrity.html

Scroll down to the date in Oct of 2012 on cruise junky site. Cruise junky is an excellent site for information on cruise ship incidents.

I also searched the US Coast Guard investigative site and came up negative.

That passenger Rex Garrett shows up on many reports I have read. His is the only name ever mentioned, and he seems quite intent on voicing as much criticism as he can. Interesting that his comments were relayed via email. He himself probably reached out to a reporter so he could tell his version of the story. The reporter would not have known who he was and how to contact him, since according to vacation luvver, no one ever talked to any of the passengers about the incident.

I can't help but wonder if vacation luvver and Rex Garrett are the same person. Their comments are almost identical.

Nope, I'm not Rex Garrett. I never even heard of him. It is a man, right? If you check on my previous posts, not all of which were about Celebrity, you'll see that I'm a woman. Of course I can't prove that to you.

If you don't believe me, then how would you suggest that I prove to you who I am?

Not a breach. Get a name and you might have something. :rolleyes:

In addition, you are saying it is a breach of confidentiality that may only pertain to US privacy laws. I'm not sure, but I don't think ships flagged outside the US are bound by these laws. Some other laws like health and safety, yes. Privacy - I don't think so

In addition, you are saying it is a breach of confidentiality that may only pertain to US privacy laws. I'm not sure, but I don't think ships flagged outside the US are bound by these laws. Some other laws like health and safety, yes. Privacy - I don't think so

Now I get why there is so much suing going on in the states. Here I thought that they were all frivolous. :D

Now I get why there is so much suing going on in the states. Here I thought that they were all frivolous. :D

Doctors talk ... a lot. They may not give names or specific information which they would consider "individually identifiable health information”, and therefore would not consider it a breach of the HIPAA law. Although in reality, it may be a breach, but they do talk.

Doctors talk ... a lot. They may not give names or specific information which they would consider "individually identifiable health information”, and therefore would not consider it a breach of the HIPAA law. Although in reality, it may be a breach, but they do talk.

DH is an ICU Physician and Trust me I know that people get really curious and have asked him on many occasions about patients. For instance..."Did you get that teenager that they pulled from the bottom of the gorge. I heard he is paralyzed, what's the real story on that kid." DH does not tell them. He can not. It is unethical.

DH is an ICU Physician and Trust me I know that people get really curious and have asked him on many occasions about patients. For instance..."Did you get that teenager that they pulled from the bottom of the gorge. I heard he is paralyzed, what's the real story on that kid." DH does not tell them. He can not. It is unethical.

That is TOTALLY different, that would be giving information that can identify the patient. I work in a very busy surgery center and see many physicians per day, so I know they talk. Trust me...

That is TOTALLY different, that would be giving information that can identify the patient. I work in a very busy surgery center and see many physicians per day, so I know they talk. Trust me...

Yep, totally different. If a physician tells someone that the cruise ship was diverted because an anonymous passenger needed to be sent to a hospital due to a heart attack, this is about the situation, not the patient. I see no harm in that statement. No more harmful than saying that the ship was diverted due to a mechanical problem if that was the case.

Add a name to that statement, and then there would be a breach of privacy. But only if the affected passenger was identified.

Edited by boogs

And what is the difference if the OP asked the ships doc about the 14 yr old on board that ship that had a massive head wound and was transported off of the ship when the ship rerouted and went to a different island? The girls family and friends could still be on board even. Could you imagine if the OP had gotten an answer from the doc and they passed that info around the ship. Total breach of confidentiality.

Yep, totally different. If a physician tells someone that the cruise ship was diverted because an anonymous passenger needed to be sent to a hospital due to a heart attack, this is about the situation, not the patient. I see no harm in that statement. No more harmful than saying that the ship was diverted due to a mechanical problem if that was the case.

Add a name to that statement, and then there would be a breach of privacy. But only if the affected passenger was identified.

Actually in this case the doctor told the OP that the diversion happened because the passenger had surgery, was not cleared to cruise by his physician and cruised anyway. If the doc was talking about a patient on board that cruise that he was treating he identified the patient. How many people were medically evacuated from that ship the day that they were diverted to Cozumel? It's really no different then people asking my DH about the teen that fell down the gorge.

Edited by Karysa
Sp

And what is the difference if the OP asked the ships doc about the 14 yr old on board that ship that had a massive head wound and was transported off of the ship when the ship rerouted and went to a different island? The girls family and friends could still be on board even. Could you imagine if the OP had gotten an answer from the doc and they passed that info around the ship. Total breach of confidentiality.

Actually in this case the doctor told the OP that the diversion happened because the passenger had surgery, was not cleared to cruise by his physician and cruised anyway. If the doc was talking about a patient on board that cruise that he was treating he identified the patient. How many people were medically evacuated from that ship the day that they were diverted to Cozumel? It's really no different then people asking my DH about the teen that fell down the gorge.

I wasn't saying anything about the doc on board. He may have other rules than what we have to follow since he may not be under US laws. I was just speaking of docs talking in general. Also, a doc that is asked a specific question should know not to say anything that would identify the patient. Stating say, a heart attack, does not identify the patient, but doesn't mean it is alright to say that is what happened. People are just nosy and ask, that's just natural.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Edited by Steve and Sharon

I wasn't saying anything about the doc on board. He may have other rules than what we have to follow since he may not be under US laws. I was just speaking of docs talking in general. Also, a doc that is asked a specific question should know not to say anything that would identify the patient. Stating say, a heart attack, does not identify the patient, but doesn't mean it is alright to say that is what happened. People are just nosy and ask, that's just natural.

This thread is about rumors on board ships. The OP explained a particular experience of their own where the doctor appears to have breached patient confidentiality, unless of course he lied to deflect the OP's question.

This thread is about rumors on board ships. The OP explained a particular experience of their own where the doctor appears to have breached patient confidentiality, unless of course he lied to deflect the OP's question.

But we are not talking about rumors that WE heard on board ship at this point.

We had a ghost in our cabin. Only wanted to watch us while we were in the shower. Won't name the cruise line or the cabin number or, they will have to board it up. :p

I saw a ghost in our hotel in London once. I say this without fear of a lawsuit!

Actually, back to the original topic, when we were on the Breakaway in September we had to hurry to Bermuda to rush a passenger off the ship to get medical attention and there were all sorts of rumors running around as to what happened.

Edited by Steve and Sharon

But we are not talking about rumors that WE heard on board ship at this point.

Oh by the way the doctors that you work with may talk about their patients but that doesn't mean that they are not violating patient confidentiality.

Sorry, but on a ship of 2,000+ passengers, what are the chances that you will know who that patient was? Small. Since the name wasn't mentioned, there is still no way for certain who that person might have been. It could be someone you think it to be, but again, it most likely is someone you have never seen, much less met. Unless you knew the person independently, you have absolutely no idea who that person was, just like you have no idea who most people are on your cruise.

As to your example of the teen that fell, I presume that there was a news report about the accident, including name, time, and description of what happened. So, yes, it would be easy to ascertain who that person was. But in the case of an anonymous passenger who wasn't identified, and there was no news like report made to the rest of the passengers naming him, how would you be able to tell who it was? The best you could do would be narrow down the person by gender - the doctor said it was a male passenger - and even then you have 1,000 passengers to choose from.

I still don't see the issue here.

Edited by boogs

Oh by the way the doctors that you work with may talk about their patients but that doesn't mean that they are not violating patient confidentiality.

Didn't say the weren't. I said what they would consider "individually identifiable health information”, and therefore would not consider it a breach of the HIPAA law. That was my point.

Sorry, but on a ship of 2,000+ passengers, what are the chances that you will know who that patient was? Small. Since the name wasn't mentioned, there is still no way for certain who that person might have been. It could be someone you think it to be, but again, it most likely is someone you have never seen, much less met.

As to your example of the teen that fell, I presume that there was a news report about the accident, including name, time, and description of what happened. So, yes, it would be easy to ascertain who that person was. Nut in the case of an anonymous passenger who wasn't identified, and there was no report made to the rest of the passengers naming him, how would you be able to tell who it was?

I still don't see the issue here.

People on the ship may have seen the patient being evacuated from their cruiseship. This would be an identifiable patient to others on the ship. Now if he went back to Europe and was telling someone that he took care of a patient that boarded post surgery against doctors advice and had to be removed from the ship this would be a different story. Remember we are talking about rumors spreading on a cruise ship. Passenger 1: " The doctor told me that the patient that was evacuated in Cozumel...........". Passenger 2: That's my brother- in-law."

People on the ship may have seen the patient being evacuated from their cruiseship. This would be an identifiable patient to others on the ship. Now if he went back to Europe and was telling someone that he took care of a patient that boarded post surgery against doctors advice and had to be removed from the ship this would be a different story. Remember we are talking about rumors spreading on a cruise ship. Passenger 1: " The doctor told me that the patient that was evacuated in Cozumel...........". Passenger 2: That's my brother- in-law."

The captain gave an overhead announcement that we had to hurry to Bermuda to get the passenger off to a hospital. I'm sure the family heard that announcement.

The captain gave an overhead announcement that we had to hurry to Bermuda to get the passenger off to a hospital. I'm sure the family heard that announcement.

Off to the hospital by a captain of the ship and not a doctor. I can see that.

The onboard treating physician telling a passenger on the same ship that the reason for the ship to divert was because the patient that was medically evacuated had undergone surgery 3 days before the ship sailed and had boarded against the advice of his doctor. I can not see that. Doctors shouldn't gossip. It is a breach of patient confidentiality and unprofessional.

Just wandering if anyone has experienced interesting rumors that turned out to be completely false while cruising. In my case.......

While cruising the en route to Grand Caymon the ship diverted to Cozumel for a medical emergency.

At dinner our table mates informed of us a tragic accident involving a 14 yr friend of their daughters who had suffered massive head wound falling down a flight of stairs. Our hearts sank at the thought of such a tragic accident!

The next day I took my son to the ships infirmary. While there I commented to the physician about the previous diversion and hope the child would make a full recovery.

He informed me that the diversion was due to an adult passenger who had undergone a surgery three days before the cruise and developed complications! He was not cleared by his Doctors to cruise but came anyway!

A very selfish act, in my opinion, affecting the vacation of so many.

Ok, your turn! Any crazy on board rumors????

OP's original post above. The question was about rumors onboard. So perhaps the OP started the thread about rumors and spiced it up a little. If not then the physician behaved unprofessionally.

But what I found most interesting about this post was the OP's comment about the person who became ill "A very selfish act, in my opinion, affecting the vacation of so many."