credit card holds and payments

stefyo

I received a bonus from work in the form of a visa gift card that I would like to use to pay my sign and sail account..... I see that when we give a card when we check in that it will have a $200 hold placed so my question is can I give a credit card when we check in and have the hold placed on that card and then on the last day of the cruise go to guest services and have them charge my visa gift card for our charges?

I received a bonus from work in the form of a visa gift card that I would like to use to pay my sign and sail account..... I see that when we give a card when we check in that it will have a $200 hold placed so my question is can I give a credit card when we check in and have the hold placed on that card and then on the last day of the cruise go to guest services and have them charge my visa gift card for our charges?

I think you should be able to do this. I know they don't officially charge your credit card until the last day right before you leave, so you can pay with another form of payment prior to the last day to avoid having them charge the card. Be aware that the hold might stay on your credit card for a few days after your vacation, though. Also, you might want to call ahead to make sure they accept Visa gift cards. I know that at the restaurant I used to work for we had problems accepting certain types of "general" gift cards offered by credit card companies because our system couldn't read them for one reason or another. I'm not saying this is the case with Carnival, but it would definitely be better to know that in advance.

I found that usually cruise lines don't accept gift cards at all once on board. However, I got around that by calling and buying myself a "gift" of OBC for the exact amount on the gift card. I just have the number like it was a personal credit card. I got a receipt, so it looked like it worked. But this was on Princess, Carnival might be different.

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

This past August I was on the Dream and I had two $50.00 Visa gift cards that I took to Guest Services and had the funds applied to my Sign and Sail account. Took all of two or three minutes to get this accomplished. Very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by SailingRNC

Thanks everyone, I know that they do accept Visa Gift Cards as a form of payment. I just wanted to be sure that I can use on card when I check in for the hold and then pay with another.

Yes, this is exactly how to do it. Just remember they close your account on the last NIGHT of your cruise, so get to guest services after dinner to apply your gift card to your account.

Yes, this is exactly how to do it. Just remember they close your account on the last NIGHT of your cruise, so get to guest services after dinner to apply your gift card to your account.

Thank you very much!