Magic vs Dream

~Christie~

Magic:

AquaDUNK (more thrilling drop) vs AquaDUCK. Different dining rooms, Carioca's is new. Smaller ship so less people on Castaway Cay. Marvel Heros training academy for kid's clubs. Irish pub (not on Dream.) Has two different shows (Twice Charmed and Disney Dreams) but both Dream and Magic have Villains Tonight!. (You might note that if Ghosty stuff offends you, skip the first 20 mins of that show. Some of our group walked out of it, and we almost did, but then the tone changed and it got more tongue-in-cheek and quite funny. If I go back, I would skip the first 20 min.)

Dream:

Has the Interactive Detective Agency technology through out the ship. Interior rooms have "magic" interative portholes. All rooms have the On Demand movies and cartoons you can stop, start, rewind at any point in your trip. We LOVED this feature and I'm sad it didn't get upgraded with the drydock of the Magic. The Animator's Restaurant has Crush, not sure that Magic's does. WE LOVED THIS! The pool areas tend to be more crowded because the ship carries a lot more guests, same goes for Castaway Cay although we never thought it was too crowded but we had nothing to compare it to. AquaDuck is fun, more thrilling in the beginning (and very splashy in your face) and less so as the ride ends (more relaxing ride then.) We only had time to ride it once and not at night like some people recommend. The shows on Dream are Golden Mickeys (which is the best show, we absolutely loved it and I would see it again if it was on our upcoming Magic), Villains Tonight! and Believe, which was just ok to me. (I think they should have had Believe the first night and closed the cruise with Golden Mickeys since part of our group missed GMs due to getting ready for dinner after the hustle and bustle of getting on the ship the first day.)

Basically, the Dream is newer and very technology driven but some think it's layout is crowded and many prefer the classic ships. The Magic is the oldest ship but its also the 'newest' ship in terms of the major overhaul it just went through (and sounds like is still going through...) We absolutely LOVED LOVED the Dream, but we are excited to try the Magic next in May. I think the Magic is a bit cheaper, perhaps because the interior rooms don't have the portholes.

You really can't go wrong with either one. This might help you make your decision:

-Price Point (either cruise is going to be great!)

-Marvel Characters and Academy (only on the Magic)

-Midship Detective Agency all over the ship (only on the Dream)

-Less crowds on decks and island on Magic

I haven't been on the Magic yet, but I loved my Dream. Even though it was only 3 days long, it was one of the best cruises we have ever been on. We always tack at least one day at WDW (we will have 3-4 in May to go with our 4 day because we have more time to plan it) and round out the Disney experience even more.

Happy cruising! :)

I haven't been on the Magic yet, but I loved my Dream. Even though it was only 3 days long, it was one of the best cruises we have ever been on. We always tack at least one day at WDW (we will have 3-4 in May to go with our 4 day because we have more time to plan it) and round out the Disney experience even more.

Happy cruising! :)

you are on the wrong board. op is, i am sure, asking about CARNIVAL magic vs. CARNIVAL dream, this being the carnival board.

how was it?

The Magic was our second cruise..

We had sailed the Splendor last year.

We loved it...

Every port was awesome

Cozumel

Montego Bay

Grand Cayman

We have incredible dining staff... and a mediocre steward.

The Pasta place is incredible ( and free at lunch FYI )

Fried Conch at the Red Frog Pub was great... as were the giant fishbowl drinks!

Looking forward to trying the Dream next !!! :)

The Magic was our second cruise..

We had sailed the Splendor last year.

We loved it...

Every port was awesome

Cozumel

Montego Bay

Grand Cayman

We have incredible dining staff... and a mediocre steward.

The Pasta place is incredible ( and free at lunch FYI )

Fried Conch at the Red Frog Pub was great... as were the giant fishbowl drinks!

Looking forward to trying the Dream next !!! :)

that is cool! I am so confused.... We (I) lol, had decided on the Dream in April, but then the chance for a 7 day on the Magic came open for us and hubby really likes the Magic ports (same as yours was) rather than the Dream ports (Cozumel, Maghonay Bay, & Costa maya). Plus, we have been twice out of NOLA and would love to go out of Galveston. So I am thinking we are going on the Magic...But I would love either.

I know that the Dream does not have the ropes course like Magic does. We will miss that while cruising next summer on the Dream. Do they have the ping pong tables outside anywhere?

When we sailed he Magic in October, the ropes course was closed the whole trip due to winds. So, while it IS cool.. dont let it have any bearing on your decision... we never got to try it

that is cool! I am so confused.... We (I) lol, had decided on the Dream in April, but then the chance for a 7 day on the Magic came open for us and hubby really likes the Magic ports (same as yours was) rather than the Dream ports (Cozumel, Maghonay Bay, & Costa maya). Plus, we have been twice out of NOLA and would love to go out of Galveston. So I am thinking we are going on the Magic...But I would love either.

This is just my personal opinion ( before I get slammed ) but I will not sail out of Galveston again. It had its good and its bad... We had a great dinner the night before at Fishermans Wharf... and the embarkatin process was smooth.

But the area was dirty... the water brown...

We came home sick ( as did MANY members of my roll call ) and my doctor said sailing out of Galveston is "like sticking your head in a cat box"...

JUST my opinion...

we had a great time....and heck, some people LOVE Galveston... it just wasnt the embarrkation port for us.

you are on the wrong board. op is, i am sure, asking about CARNIVAL magic vs. CARNIVAL dream, this being the carnival board.

I'm so genuinely sorry. My phone shows them next to each other on favorites. It seriously was an honest but kinda funny mistake!

But if I was the OP, I'd cruise whichever one went to Roatan especially if it WASNT the Dream...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

The biggest difference we noticed physically was the red frog pub is an actual bar on the magic w/ an outdoor area on the promenade. It's essentially just a pool bar on the dream. We LOVED it on the magic because of the live music and fun atmosphere.

I really loved the magic and sailing out of Galveston (fog delay and all....be aware of that in the winter months) and didn't generally like the dream (we like port canaveral too) the staff was not friendly on the dream, but that is subjective and could just be bad luck on out behalf but we found ourselves bored a lot, which has never happened to us on a cruise!!

The biggest difference we noticed physically was the red frog pub is an actual bar on the magic w/ an outdoor area on the promenade. It's essentially just a pool bar on the dream. We LOVED it on the magic because of the live music and fun atmosphere.

I really loved the magic and sailing out of Galveston (fog delay and all....be aware of that in the winter months) and didn't generally like the dream (we like port canaveral too) the staff was not friendly on the dream, but that is subjective and could just be bad luck on out behalf but we found ourselves bored a lot, which has never happened to us on a cruise!!

I am in total agreement about the Red Frog Pub.... It is a great place on the Magic and the staff always knew our names !

• 3 weeks later...

thanks all! I appreciate your thoughts! We are still undecided....lol. Now as if we weren't already confused enough we have thrown the Caribbean Princess into the mix as well...

They each seem to have something I would love to experience....I will be happy with any b/c I will be on a cruise period...lol.

does the Magic have the pasta bar like the Dream does?

Yes, the Magic has the pasta bar. Had a great time on the magic!

thanks!

I am sooo torn....if we go in March our choices are both 7 days:

Caribbean Princess to Belize, Cozumel, & Roatan

CCL Magic to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, & Jamacia

If we go on the Dream it would be in April for a 6 day to Costa Maya, Cozumel, & Roatan.

I just don't know what to do....lol

Edited by ~Christie~