First time on thomson dream

Hi my partner , 15 year old son and I have have just booked for Moorish Delights Aug 14 , we have cruised just once before on NCl Gem which we loved. Please can someone give me an honest review of the Dream as I've read mixed ones!

Many thanks :)

Hi my partner , 15 year old son and I have have just booked for Moorish Delights Aug 14 , we have cruised just once before on NCl Gem which we loved. Please can someone give me an honest review of the Dream as I've read mixed ones!

We are doing that one too with our 2 teens :) Never been on Dream before but have been on other Thomson ships - they are great for families. It's a lovely itinerary by the look of it though :)

All ships get mixed reviews - there are plenty of poor reviews for the NCL Gem as well. However as with the Gem, the Dream has far, far more 4 and 5 star reviews than 1 and 2 star reviews..

The Dream is a nice ship, hard to fault really. The major criticism I have is the bars are all on one level, with some becoming alleyways. The lido is a bit crowded, however as the dream has 2 self serve restaurants during the day this is easily avoided. Great theatre and a smooth sail.

Not my favourite Thomson ship, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back on again.

I had the most amazing time on my Dream cruise in august.

It was fantastic. I have put link to my review below and I was 100% honest no word of a lie.

The crew were amazing and genuinely cared that you had an amazing time, they even learn your names! They had tonnes of activities for kids and teens. I loved every moment. I have no doubt you'll have an amazing time.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1895981

I was dubious before I went because of all the negativity towards the ship. But I find a lot of the negative reviews are from either people being overly picky, people blaming the cruise line for other passengers passing on their germs or frequent cruisers who are comparing to their previous or favourite cruises.

The Dream has a lovely rustic quality to it, with its wooden decks etc..... its not all shiny and new like NCL but I thought it was lovely and I had an amazing time.

Hope this helps, and just ask if you have any more questions to ask :)

We went on the Dream early this year and found it to be a really friendly ship both staff and fellow passengers. It wasn't a glitzy ship but had everything we needed and the food was fine. The only disadvantage for us was there weren't any balcony's but our cabin was clean and comfortable with a good size bathroom. Hope this helps:)

Hi Pippadee.

We have sailed with Thomsons on The Dream and Norwegian Jade. There is quite a difference between both cruise lines. The Jade I think is similar design as Gem being quite modern well maintained and with plenty of different bars and things to do. The Dream is an older ship with most of the facilities on one deck.

However the big thing you will notice is that the numbers of passengers are much less on the Dream, giving a much better feel overall. Also you get more ports for your money with Thomsons. On the Gem you will have had 2 days at sea in every 7 plus I found with NCL that they dock late and sail early, with Thomsons you are generally in port before you go for breakfast and normally sail at tea time giving you more time on shore. Lets face it we go on cruises to see different countries not to spend days at sea looking at water!

The shows on NCL tend to cater for the variety of nationalities so some entertainment tends to be a bit naff (we had a show one night with a guy blowing bubbles he was assisted by his wife who danced round with a mop cleaning up his mess!) With Thomsons the shows are excellent but aimed at the British market. Mainly musical type productions. You normally get a British comedian during the cruise who are generally quite good.

We also find the staff on Thomsons to be really good, this might be due to the smaller numbers of passengers on the ship. They seem to get to know you whereas on the larger ships this must be difficult.

Sunbathing room tends to be at a premium as with all cruise ships but bear in mind you have more chance of getting a sunbed on a ship with 1500 passengers than a ship with 3000 passengers. Plus you only have 1 day at sea so other days there is always plenty of room.

The holiday usually starts at the airport when you wave goodbye to your luggage, the next time you see it, it is generally outside your cabin. With NCL we had to find our own way to the ship etc and if you get delayed they go without you.

Overall I say Thomsons have a great product that I personally don't think can be beaten. Ok I would like to see them have more modern ships but I always feel sad when I disembark looking at those passengers who are staying on with serious envy.

We have booked Tropical Treasures on 9th Feb and I cant wait!

Have a truly great time.

Paulaud's comments very much reflect our view onThomson compared with NCL. We have only been on Jade and although we enjoyed our cruise because of the weather and itinerary we much prefer the Thomson product. The ambience on board is great -warm,friendly and welcoming. There aren't any attractions which might be a disadvantage for your son (can't remember any on Jade come to that) but in our experience the teenagers tend to band together and we've seen groups having a really good time - I think the smaller ship tends to generate a much friendlier atmosphere encouraging making new friends - for youngsters and us older passengers too!

Yes the better ratio of port days, longer times in port and interesting itineraries are a big plus too. And the entertainment is in a different league IMO. By comparison we found the offerings on Jade poor to say the least.

But the bottom line for us is the warmth and friendship on board Thomson. We wouldn't rule out going on NCL but it would have to be a great price and itinerary which we couldn't find with Thomson and from choice would prefer to travel with

Thomson. Hope you enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks I,m sure we will. As everyone mentions how friendly the atmosphere and staff are that's definitely a bonus. On other holidays we have stayed in 4/5 star hotels that provide high standards of service and lovely food , but they then tend to be lacking in the entertainment side: it sounds like thomsons cruises are renowned for their entertainment.

We,ve booked an outside plus cabin with my son having the stature of a rugby player - I,m hoping it will be roomy. Though immaculate an inside standard cabin on the Gem - was rather cramped!

Many thanks for your reply :)

Hello again. Can anyone send me a link to any recent photos of the ship please?

Also will my son be required to wear long trousers to dine at night or are very smart shorts acceptable?

He will be soooo pleased if he gets to wear a tux on gala night- it's the OH who may be harder to persuade - as he wears shirt tie etc all week at work!

Also will my son be required to wear long trousers to dine at night or are very smart shorts acceptable?

He will be soooo pleased if he gets to wear a tux on gala night- it's the OH who may be harder to persuade - as he wears shirt tie etc all week at work!

I think Kruseeka has some photos on here she can link you to but there is also a really good FB group "Thomson Cruises" and also a "Thomson Dream" group if you are on there - there are loads of photos on there - they are both closed groups but you can request to join easily.

My daughter (17) said some of the teen boys wear shorts but mainly they wear trousers in the evening. Can't think that I have seen many with shorts on in the evenings. Not sure if he could wear shorts in the MDR - coukd maybe wear long trousers then change into shorts. My son is 14 when we go & he always wears his Tux - my son & daughter love to dress up ;) You see a lot of teens get into the spirit of it ;)

Hi

Thank you , I'm not a fan of FB but might relent for this purpose;)

My son won't have a problem with dressing up - he's been dying for his first suit - not going to tell him yet tho - august is a long time away :(

When do you next sail?

Here are some pics I took in Feb this year mainly to show the differences after the refurb.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1790100&highlight=dream+pics

There are some good ones Joeholiday did - I'll see if I can find those for you too.

Just found it;

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802590&highlight=dream+pics

Hope you find these interesting - and like the look of the ship! :eek: :D

Edited by kruzseeka

Hi

Thank you , I'm not a fan of FB but might relent for this purpose;)

My son won't have a problem with dressing up - he's been dying for his first suit - not going to tell him yet tho - august is a long time away :(

When do you next sail?

We have booked a B2B on Dream next August - Med Medley & Moorish Delights - looking forward to it as we have not done Western Med or the Dream before.

Some people from here have just joined FB for the Thomson group! It is a very good one ;)

Oh lucky you- we are just doing the 1 week from the 16th- not sure my waistline could manage 2 weeks ! I did say when next going on a cruise would pack my gym kit - but now it's booked i,m not so sure! ;)

I always get up early ahead of the crowd & do a good walk around Promenade deck - not sure how many laps make a mile on the Dream; it's 5 on the Celebration & Spirit - usually try to do 2 miles! It's lovely to see the ship wake up & come to life and great to watch the sail-in to port too - very peaceful (& good to knock off any little hangovers lol!). I did take gym gear on one cruise but prefer to be outside enjoying the nice weather! Have been known to swim a few 'laps' or 2 of the pool too ;) We do a lot of walking when on shore & lots of dancing at night!

I notice you are from Huddersfield - my daughter got to know a lovely girl from Huddersfield via the Thomson FB group - they started chatting in Feb this year then met up on the Celebration in August; lovely family & nice for the girls to have "ready made friends" - we met up again recently with them when we were on holiday in Yorkshire! They are also going on the Dream from 16th August so we will meet again! ;)

Edited by Julessmiles

Yes I think I might definitely have to do a few walking laps in the sun!

Isn't it strange to go all that way on holiday and there's nearly always someone from the same town!

I might suggest my son posts on FB re the trip, like you say it's a good way for them to make friends before the cruise. Maybe we will see you on board. Thanks so much for your replies :)