Who has done Ferry/Bus Ride excursion from Colon?

PekingeseLady

I am considering doing the Panama Canal Ferry excursion with the ship. But it says 1 1/2 hr. bus ride both ways. Concerned about the length. Bumpyness, bathroom break? etc.:confused: Has anyone been on this excursion who can tell me about the bus rides. Thanks in advance.:)

Edited by PekingeseLady

Most of the bus ride is over interstate type road that is fairly new, so there should not be much of a bumpy issue. The 1.5 hours is about what it would take to go over the old road and I think they have just kept that estimate since it would cover a trip out of the norm. The trip now should be right around a hour. We did not stop for any bathroom breaks and I do not recall seeing any facilities on the bus.

Bill, thank you for your quick reply. I did some searching and read a lot of comments from you and others, and have decided to book the Ferry excursion. We are very excited now and looking forward to our visit to Colon, now that we are going to see one of the wonders of the world. Also we get to cross another thing off the bucket list, without doing a Panama Canal Cruise. We would rather spend our time on the Island beaches in the Caribbean. LOL Thanks again, and we'll be seeing you on the boards, I'm sure.:D

I am considering doing the Panama Canal Ferry excursion with the ship. But it says 1 1/2 hr. bus ride both ways. Concerned about the length. Bumpyness, bathroom break? etc.:confused: Has anyone been on this excursion who can tell me about the bus rides. Thanks in advance

The ferry is simple, nothing like the ship, but it is a good experience to see the Canal, the locks, Gaillard cut, etc. When I did it they had a simple, but good, buffet of typical Panamanian food. Not luxurious by any means, but you are so up-close-and-personal that you can reach out and touch the sides of the locks.

There are no bathrooms on the bus. In an emergency, in Panama, it is culturally acceptable for guys to pull off the road and solve the problem. For women it is a bit more challenging. In an emergency the bus driver will generally find a place, but don't expect a spotless restroom and take your own TP. Best bet: no second cup of coffee and go just before you leave the ship.

You can generally psych out when your tour is about to be called, and then make a quick bathroom stop on the ship before leaving. Even, don't say I told you this, but you can generally do as I do, hit a bathroom on the way to the disembarkation spot. Tour buses almost always have to wait a few minutes. Regards, Richardcanal-wall.jpg?w=300&h=225

Richard, thank you so much once again. You and bill are always there to answer our question. We appreciate you very much. Do you have any other pictures or links to pictures of the Ferry? Love the one of everyone touching the sides of the locks. Thanks again. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I took the Ferry Trip 2 year ago. It was great. The Bus Ride didn't seem long to get to the ferry. It seemed longer on the way back but that was after a half day on the ferry. I found going through the locks much better on the ferry than the ship. On the ferry all the buses had guide so on the ferry you were never far away from an expert. They also had an announcer on the PA system that added a lot of information. This was the best ships excursion I have every been on in 9 cruises.

ChelseaSailor

• 1 month later...
Is there a private company doing this trip? We are coming in two days early to board the ship in Colon and would love to do the full transit on the ferry. Thanks for your help.

Trish

Below is a link for Panama Marine Adventures, who operate both partial and full transits at various times... with any luck maybe your dates will coincide.

http://www.pmatours.net/pacific_queen/

As far as I know they are the only game in town. What about the partial transit? If that would work you would at least see some of the highlights of the Canal. My daughter was just down in Panama (not on a cruise) and took her tribe on the Northbound partial.