First Time Transatlantic !!

gfs1ram

Hi. After a rather stressful summer selling a long held family property, we desperately needed a break, so we booked last week on the QM2 from NYC to SOTON on the 19th. We love New York so are spending 4 nights there prior to the voyage. The vacation will also be a slightly delayed Ruby wedding anniversary celebration.

Now I have read quite a few posts about the QM2 and TA's (and seen some of the video's !!) but having sailed on the QE it will be our first time on the QM2.

We are obviously hoping that the Atlantic will be reasonably kind to us but do any of you seasoned TAer's have any really good tips please?

We will be staying in Midtown and I am guessing that we will need to leave about 1 hour to get to the Brooklyn Terminal - what time do they normally allow boarding from? What time do you think it best to get there? Any tips like that or about the QM2 in general would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation. G

Boarding starts at noon, approximately, so that's when to arrive. You won't regret making time to visit the Cloisters and the Metropolitan Museum of Art during your stay in the city.

Here are my daily blogs from QM2 crossings in July, 2013, and November/December, 2012, FYI.

Absolutely no doubt that you will enjoy a grand crossing. Bon Voyage!

I also stayed at Midtown in NYC (Sofitel) and I ordered my car at midday (dial7 were great). I was at Redhook within an hour and I probably waited no more than 15 minutes in line to get on board.

However, the queue of town cars, taxis and shuttle buses dropping off at Redhook was long.

QM2 handles waves beautifully. Hardly noticed being at sea on my trip, although I heard that the Westbound before Christmas was rough the last couple of days.

I'd wager she handles much better than QE. She's more cruise ship than ocean liner. That said, I'm looking forward to my June 27 Med voyage out of Venice on her next year.

While in NYC you must visit the Vermeer show at the Frick, the Leonardo show at the Morgan, and while seeing the small exhibition at the Neue Galerie--have lunch at their delightful Café Sabarsky, so close to the Guggenheim, the Met, and the Frick.

J

While in NYC you must visit the Vermeer show at the Frick, the Leonardo show at the Morgan, and while seeing the small exhibition at the Neue Galerie--have lunch at their delightful Café Sabarsky, so close to the Guggenheim, the Met, and the Frick.

J

Excellent suggestions.

Just to mention that timed tickets are required for the Vermeer Exhibition at the Frick http://www.frick.org/exhibitions/mauritshuis/tickets

My personal favorite is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Grand Central Station is worth a visit, amazing glass window. Nice area to have a drink and something to eat.

Catherine

I very much agree:) As an added attraction, there will be a Holiday Fair there from 18 Nov thru 24 Dec. Details here: http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/event/the-centennial-holiday-fair-presented-by-shaw-floors/2145424857 -S.

Hello again. Thank you all for your replies and recommendations for NYC.

Do you have any tips for QM2 and the voyage back ?

Thanks in anticipation.

G

If you enjoy listening to live music, the QM2 has something for everyone. On a typical crossing they'll have big band music (played by the ship's orchestra) in the Queens Room in the evenings, Dixieland jazz, several good cocktail pianists; a string quartet, a harpist, a classical pianist, a really good jazz trio, a rock band, and various guest musicians. On our crossing last January there was a really good Motown group from Detroit.

I hope you have a wonderful crossing.:)

… Do you have any tips for QM2 and the voyage back ?

Thanks in anticipation.

G

Twenty three hour days are the only downside to the eastbound crossing. Just increase your consumption of QM2's delights by a factor of 24/23rds per hour on those short days and you'll be fine.

The QM2 and QE have a number of similarities. You will find your way around the QM2 in no time!

Rough seas are less of a concern now that crossings are 7 days instead of 6. She can actually make a crossing in 5 days. There is latitude (pun intended) to change course-- away from the brunt of storms. Also, as noted, QM2 is a very seaworthy vessel.

Do go to the top deck for "sail away." There won't be much daylight this time of year, but the Verrazano Narrows bridge is lit and it is a thrill to swoosh under it, standing up on deck.

Views from the deck are also great, before sunset. Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, Staten Island ferries crisscrossing on the river! Makes me want to burst into singing "New York New York." Find time to go up on deck in the afternoon, after you board.

Two things QM2 has (that the QE doesn't) are "outside elevators" (either side of the Commodore bar) where you can see the outside of the ship (check out the lifeboats) and an observation window to the bridge, which is interesting.

They play bridge (the card game) on the deck below, so asking your fellow passengers "where is the bridge" can be part of the fun in finding it ; )

QM2 is more spacious, which I find lovely. Two theaters (Royal Court plus Illuminations) so more entertainment options.

DH and I have crossed three times going east and twice going west. Difficult for me to stay awake in the evenings going west. I find east-bound is "more fun" and west-bound "more relaxing and restful".

The salt air is good for body and soul. You will have a wonderful crossing and return home renewed!

Is my memory correct that Grand Central has a whisper gallery? Stand in one place and whisper and you can be heard some distance away?

Yes, fantasy51, your memory is correct, there is a whisper gallery right outside of the Oyster Bar in Grand Central. Video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPhQWWdFe1M -S.