Phoning Home from Stateroom

Debhar

We will be on the Breeze and plan to use the stateroom phone to call home to check on family (aka - dog, the kids will be fine) a couple times. Does anyone know how this call will come up on caller id (Carnival?) or what phone number it will show (so we can make sure the kids answer the phone instead of thinking it is a telemarketer call & ignoring the call)?

We will be on the Breeze and plan to use the stateroom phone to call home to check on family (aka - dog, the kids will be fine) a couple times. Does anyone know how this call will come up on caller id (Carnival?) or what phone number it will show (so we can make sure the kids answer the phone instead of thinking it is a telemarketer call & ignoring the call)?

I used the room phone to call my son. I knew he couldn't take the call but I did want to just leave him a message. He said the caller id came up as Florida. Luckily, he did listen to the message. I was brief and don't remember a charge showing on my ship account. We were on the splendor out of New York.

The calls show up based on the satellite relay, which for Carnival, RCI, etc... is Miami.

Question: Do you have a cell phone? Depending on your carrier, it might be cheaper to add an international roaming service for 30 days, then cancel it after you get back. Some carriers offer this service for 30, 60, or 90 days. Then, use your cell phone when your in port and you should save money.

The last time I checked, the rate was $ 3.99-$4.99 per minute:eek: from the state room phone for calls to US and Canada, depending on the time of day.

The calls show up based on the satellite relay, which for Carnival, RCI, etc... is Miami.

Question: Do you have a cell phone? Depending on your carrier, it might be cheaper to add an international roaming service for 30 days, then cancel it after you get back. Some carriers offer this service for 30, 60, or 90 days. Then, use your cell phone when your in port and you should save money.

The last time I checked, the rate was $ 3.99-$4.99 per minute:eek: from the state room phone for calls to US and Canada, depending on the time of day.

I second this. The cell phones are typically cheaper.

All the ship's we have been on this fall have a rate of $1.99 a min. Don't know how much a cell call would cost. All the Fantasy class.

Plan on calling the kids while we are on the Legend next week to make sure all is a go for Thanksgiving. We are doing a B2B so will be waiting for them in the lobby.

Just off of the Fascination and the cabin calls coast $1.99. The CID said Carnival on it. I made made 3 call one morning.

1 to my house which the answering picked up and I hung up after hearing the machine. I then called my Aunts cell and let a message. Later on in the day I tried again and spoke to someone this time. Of the 3 calls I was only charged for the last one.

Hope that helps

Danielle

Might I also suggest that you use Carnvial Funville to communicate as well. You can start a thread in the Currently Onboard area and then post messages back and forth. It is slow, but you can write back and forth all you want for free. If you really want to call, it is not much more to use your cell and then they will for sure get your number.

Check out my personal blog in my signature and I have some instructions on using Funville.

Might I also suggest that you use Carnvial Funville to communicate as well. You can start a thread in the Currently Onboard area and then post messages back and forth. It is slow, but you can write back and forth all you want for free. If you really want to call, it is not much more to use your cell and then they will for sure get your number.

Check out my personal blog in my signature and I have some instructions on using Funville.

Question for you geeks If I call the kids cell phone from my cabin phone will they get a charge also? :confused:

yes if you call the cell phone from the cabin phone its the same as if you are calling a US land line (charge wise). Technically there is no reason fro this, we have the ability to make a local "cell" and have all the phones on the ship be "local" but the service provide wants to be able to charge you for every cell phone call you make so this may never be enabled.

All the ships changed their ship to shore call charge rates to basically match what the cellular at sea roaming rates were. So that is the reason so many people are seeing the $1.99 rate. However, if you are concerned about the caller ID, if you use your cell phone, it will come up on the ID as it normally would from your phone....

If you're only going to call a couple of times, and only for a minute or three to check up on "home", I'd absolutely use the in cabin phone. As noted above, it's only $1.99 per minute, and you don't have to worry about all the "invisible" charges associated with using the cell phone "out to sea". What if you forget to shut off data on your "I-phone", or accidentally leave it on, and in normal configuration, and someone sends you a few photos? Just much easier, and safer, IMO, to pick up the phone in the cabin and talk for a couple of minutes for $4. ;)

"SKY"

If you're only going to call a couple of times, and only for a minute or three to check up on "home", I'd absolutely use the in cabin phone. As noted above, it's only $1.99 per minute, and you don't have to worry about all the "invisible" charges associated with using the cell phone "out to sea". What if you forget to shut off data on your "I-phone", or accidentally leave it on, and in normal configuration, and someone sends you a few photos? Just much easier, and safer, IMO, to pick up the phone in the cabin and talk for a couple of minutes for $4. ;)

"SKY"

That was my thought Ken, just wondering about the daughters charges if I call her cell phone. She has NO land line.

We are headed to the Ecstasy in Dec. are you joining us ?

That was my thought Ken, just wondering about the daughters charges if I call her cell phone. She has NO land line.

We are headed to the Ecstasy in Dec. are you joining us ?

If you call a cell phone on the ship from a cabin phone then the cell phone will be charged the same regardless of what phone you called the cell phone from. Even if you have unlimited minutes or free incomin calls - international / cruise ship roaming still applies. If you call a cell phone on land in the U.S. from a cruise ship then the land-based phone won't incur any additional charge just because you are on a ship.