Car Rental in Kailua Kona

H20 Lover

Are there car rentals available in or around Kailua Kona? If not, what are your suggestions for getting a car for 2 days there? I've read on other islands you can just park out front of the ship, well in this case we tender in... any advice is appreciated! :confused:

To add to Yvonne's questions...

I looked into renting with National rental car in Kona. They have their spot listed as being the Kona Airport. Anyone know how far that would be from the pier? I'm going to try calling their reservation line, but I'm thinking they might be clueless....

Thanks!

WBC

Hey Steph that little map link I put in our Roll Call says that from Kailua to the Kona Airport is 7 miles. I was thinking it was like 40 miles, hee hee. If anyone knows differently, please let us know. Steph & I are very detail oriented, call it anal if you will. Can I say that word here?

I heard back from a car discount rental place and they said that the free shuttle picks us up at the pier at 9 & 11 and takes us to get the car.

Still open to lots of other tips!

I'm hoping that Emi chimes in at some point on this topic because she's our Kona expert ... :) But the gist of the pick up is that the airport is a slt distance away north of town itself - but should be reachable in about a 10 minute shuttle/taxi drive.

Spleen

I placed a bid for the Kona airport location thru priceline and got a decent convertible for $30 a day from Alamo. This was a one week rental, don't know if that made a difference. Gas was $2.73 a gallon 2 weeks ago.

We booked thru Dollar's internet site for an intermediate car total cost $71.17 this past May. We picked up the car at the King Kamehameha Hotel which is directly across the street from the tender pier in Kona. This is the only car rental place in Kona other than going to the airport to pickup and drop off the car. Would definitly recommend doing this to avoid wasting time waiting for shuttles to take you to and from the airport.

You can reserve at http://www.dollar.com or contact Dollar directly at the hotel at 808-329-2745. If you check on booking a compact they let you upgrade to an intermediate at a better rate than if you book the intermediate from the start.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Almost forgot my husband needs handcontrolls as he's in a wheelchair. The car we rented was equipped with the handcontrolls at no additional cost.

Carol

That would be a convenient location for picking up the car and not having to worry about shuttles and getting back on time, but $71 plus sounds very expensive to me. I think I read that Enterprise is there in town as well - not sure about that. We're getting ready to reserve a car there, so this information is much appreciated. Thank you!

I rented in Kona from Enterprise....about a 5 min drive from the port...called there directly and a very nice woman told me "We will pick you up"..now that makes it easy...was $32 for a 5 person intermediate car....

I'm hoping that Emi chimes in at some point on this topic because she's our Kona expert ... :) But the gist of the pick up is that the airport is a slt distance away north of town itself - but should be reachable in about a 10 minute shuttle/taxi drive.

Alas Spleen, Emi is away as I am. We are like ships passing in the night and couldnt get together. If I am correct, she is back in a couple of days (just as I get back to our rock!)

I rented in Kona from Enterprise....about a 5 min drive from the port...called there directly and a very nice woman told me "We will pick you up"..now that makes it easy...was $32 for a 5 person intermediate car....

I went to Enterprise's web site and found 2 locations in Kailua-Kona, but the latest time you can return on Saturday is 12 noon and we wanted the car til like 3 or 4... dang looked like a good thing.

I did reserve a car through discountrental and they pick up at the pier, etc. $34 for a Dodge Magnum, are we are gonna stick out like tourists or what?

Thanks for all the input everyone.

We booked thru Dollar's internet site for an intermediate car total cost $71.17 this past May. We picked up the car at the King Kamehameha Hotel which is directly across the street from the tender pier in Kona. This is the only car rental place in Kona other than going to the airport to pickup and drop off the car. Would definitly recommend doing this to avoid wasting time waiting for shuttles to take you to and from the airport.

You can reserve at www.dollar.com or contact Dollar directly at the hotel at 808-329-2745. If you check on booking a compact they let you upgrade to an intermediate at a better rate than if you book the intermediate from the start.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Almost forgot my husband needs handcontrolls as he's in a wheelchair. The car we rented was equipped with the handcontrolls at no additional cost.

Carol

Ashley, it looks like Dollar's Kamehameha hotel location closes at 4:00 PM.

Did they have a drop box for after hour’s returns?

If you can drop after 4:00, it would make most of the afternoon snorkel tours possible with the ship leaving at 6:00.

We're looking at Sea Quest's tour, and with tendering, I don't think we can make the morning tour, so if we're left with the afternoon tour I figured we would want a car

for the morning. Looks like it's only about 15 mins. from the pier to Keauhou bay, (I believe the Fairwinds Tour departs from this location as well).

It looks like Enterprise is only 3/4 of a mile from the pier and closes at 6:00 (Mon - Fri) which would work, but walking distance from Dollar sounds pretty nice.

I recall somebody saying that Kona Brewing Co. is walking distance from the pier as well. That would leave plenty of time to drop the car and have a few brews before getting back on the ship.

Bob

Found this one... :)

Anyway, King Kam Hotel is right there at the entrance to the pier, so if you can get a car there - that would be very convenient!!! There is another car rental place just a few blocks from the pier that is called Affordable Car Rental I believe, I've seen it and would even attempt that walk myself. I would not attempt to walk up to the Enterprise location in the Old Industrial but I hear they will come get you and take you back.

Depending on traffic, the Fair Wind could be 15 minutes up to a half an hour away - but I wouldn't think any more than that.

The airport probably is only about 7 miles but the traffic has been so terrible lately that I would make sure to give myself plenty of time for shuttling, gasing up, etc.

Not sure if I missed any questions but will help if I can.

Emi

I have been trying to call the Dollar Rental car place at the hotel there by the pier for the last few days and there is no answer at the number I have 808-329-2745. Maybe they are no longer in business there? I hesitate to make reservations over the internet without actually verifying with the local rental place! This would sure be a convenient location since we want to get down to the Fairwind by 9 and the ship is scheduled to arrive in Kona at 8am

Okay, did a little homework this evening.

Dollar rental closes at 4:00, no exceptions, no drop box.

H20, you're all over it. talked to Enterprise and they just repeated everything you said.

Booked over the phone. $34.00 for an intermediate. 808-331-2509

Bob

I recall somebody saying that Kona Brewing Co. is walking distance from the pier as well. That would leave plenty of time to drop the car and have a few brews before getting back on the ship.

Bob

Kona Brewing Co is within a few minutes walk to/from the pier. Definitely an "excursion" not to be missed:D !

Kona Brewing Co is within a few minutes walk to/from the pier. Definitely an "excursion" not to be missed:D !

It will be nice to knock a few back after an eventful day on Kona, it looks like they have quite a selection of beers.

I wonder if they'll let me on the tender if I have one of each ;)

Thanks again, Emi! Yes, your number worked and we are booked! Midsize car for $39.99 - probably doesn't include taxes but it sure saves time for us as we try to make it to the Fairwind by 9am! Car must be back at 3:45pm. They open at 8am. You solved another problem so again Mahalo and Aloha!

Bucky: Wooo hooo, glad it worked and it is a good thing to know anyway (for me)...*smile*

H20: Just remember to walk (crawl) downhill after the beers and you'll be just fine...have fun!!

Emi

Archived