Best Excursion in Nassau?

Lil Kelly

My family and I are cruising on the Disney Dream again in May. The last time we opted to stay onboard when ported in Nassau since it was our first cruise and we wanted to take advantage of all the ship had to offer. Our boys are 11 and 4 so with the big age gap we would like to do something that they would both enjoy. Any recommendations? Atlantis aqua adventure or just aquarium and beach? Cable beach at the Sheraton? Please and thank you ;)

My opinion--best thing to do while in Nassau is to stay on the ship and enjoy all that DCL has to offer while the crowds are on an island. No kidding.

If your family likes beaches, Cable Beach is fine. This is easy to do on your own and you don't need to pay the Sheraton unless you wish to use their facilities. There are plenty of vendors at Cable beach who will rent you whatever you wish to use without paying for a package deal.

I've done a few of the excursions at Nassau, and I'd agree... unless you're dying to go in to Nassau, the ship is the best. The Atlantis tours are over priced for what you get in my opinion... But the aquarium is fun to tour (think tropical version of your local sea aquarium). Also, the island tours are usually in tiny buses that are way to small for comfort.

I found just getting off the ship and walking Bay Street to be fun, there is a really cool historical women of the Bahamas exhibit thats free right across the street from the port. It's a park across from their courthouse (giant pink building) and it's interesting to see how women have shaped the Bahama's of today.

I've been to Atlantis, it's fun...but it's EXPENSIVE! The water is crystal blue, but I don't think it's worth the price. There have been forum posts previously about booking a room at the resort and/or surrounding resorts to get the water park/beach access for cheaper then they sell it on the ship. If you're interested, I'd search back a few pages or check this one out I found quickly ().

I tend to just walk Bay Street, take in a few shops, and get right back on the ship. The ship is probably the best tour in Nassau.

I've done a few of the excursions at Nassau, and I'd agree... unless you're dying to go in to Nassau, the ship is the best. The Atlantis tours are over priced for what you get in my opinion... But the aquarium is fun to tour (think tropical version of your local sea aquarium). Also, the island tours are usually in tiny buses that are way to small for comfort.

I found just getting off the ship and walking Bay Street to be fun, there is a really cool historical women of the Bahamas exhibit thats free right across the street from the port. It's a park across from their courthouse (giant pink building) and it's interesting to see how women have shaped the Bahama's of today.

I've been to Atlantis, it's fun...but it's EXPENSIVE! The water is crystal blue, but I don't think it's worth the price. There have been forum posts previously about booking a room at the resort and/or surrounding resorts to get the water park/beach access for cheaper then they sell it on the ship. If you're interested, I'd search back a few pages or check this one out I found quickly ().

I tend to just walk Bay Street, take in a few shops, and get right back on the ship. The ship is probably the best tour in Nassau.

I absolutely agree.

Take taxi/van straight to the Atlantis and head for the beach.

DH and I each take a child then separate to make our own adventures, ex. the lagoons or the aquariums, with option of early returns to the ship.

Do check the Ports of Call forums on this message board.

Trudy

Staying on the ship is fine, but a lot of others do stay on board as well. On our cruise on the Dream, a fellow passenger told me they stayed and so did many so there was not a big difference compared to a sea day. We did the Discovery tour in Atlantis and we enjoyed it. If you like marine life then you will too.

I Booked a Day Trip to Atlantis Waterpark during a Cruise on the Carnival Freedom from the Excursions Desk. Normally I book excursions on my own but I dont think you can book on your own. It fills up quick so book way before your Trip. We were ages 21-53. It certainly is one of the most incredible Water Parks on the Planet. Even my wife rode the slide which I was really surprised! The laughter is uncontrollable on the Slides:) The scenery is world class, make sure you check out Both Aquariums and see as much as you can, we were there for only a half day since we docked at 12 pm. Ask someone to give you an overview as the site is overwhelming. Ask them if they would tour you thru the Aquarium. This is the second time I have been there and they didnt mention a tour when we were there but it should be included. Everyone else makes a beeline to the Beach or Waterpark so you get almost a Private Tour. Food is pricy but no more than a major US city.