kayaking in Sitka

Lowbrow

We are currently signed up for Wilderness Sea Kayaking through Carnival in Sitka. Cost is $104 per person. I started doing some research for independent kayaking excursions wondering if that was a bit much to pay. We've never been kayaking and as such should probably stick with a tour rather than a rental. I found the same one for $95 per person through Alaska Travel Adventures. The only other one I found that offers tours is Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures $85 for 2 of us (significantly cheaper!) Are they any good? Are there any others you'd recommend? Would you recommend pre-booking or is there usually no problem booking kayaking once you get into port?

-Mrs. Lowbrow

I'm afraid I can't help you with the specifics of the kayaking, but I do know that when we were there on Friday, July 8, there was another ship in port besides our ship, Infinity. There are only 14 miles of roads in Sitka and just not that many choices in providers for anything. We were on a privately booked boat excursion with Davey Lubin and within the first hour he got 3 or 4 phone calls trying to book something for that day. I think you are wise to book in advance, no matter what you decide to do. I'm not sure but I think Davey may also offer kayaking tours. His website is http://www.puffinsandwhales.com.

Hope this helps!

Becky

Archived