Liverpool party 2015

slhw

Just read the announcement in local press that the 3 Queens will meet in Liverpool in May 2015 to celebrate Cunard's 175th birthday and QM2 will be back there in July to celebrate original crossing to Halifax.

Am absolutely thrilled. Got to be on one of them. Was on QM2 in New York for 3 Queen meeting but this is my HOME town and it's amazing. Can't wait for Cunard to give details.

Sandie

Just read the announcement in local press that the 3 Queens will meet in Liverpool in May 2015 to celebrate Cunard's 175th birthday and QM2 will be back there in July to celebrate original crossing to Halifax.

Am absolutely thrilled. Got to be on one of them. Was on QM2 in New York for 3 Queen meeting but this is my HOME town and it's amazing. Can't wait for Cunard to give details.

Sandie

Sandie

I think Hattie beat you to it!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942952

andhow

I don't care who beat me to it as long as I'm on board. I met my fondly remembered ex-husband on Liverpool landing stage (he was merchant navy and I worked for the shipping company - I didn't frequent the docks for any other reason) and I sailed a small boat on the Mersey for many years. Many memories of past Cunard ships on the river as well as the present ones.

I think it's quite right that main celebrations are to take place here and I think Cunard are starting to recognise the importance of Liverpool. On our first QM voyage, I was disappointed to find that there were lots of paintings of her against the New York skyline but not a mention of Liverpool. My husband wanted me to go and have words with the captain but I was a bit of a coward! Maybe things are starting to change........

Sandie

Wait, watch and worry Southampton. It's going to be amazing! It's inevitable!

It's far from inevitable unfortunatly. Can a cruise terminal be built by 2015. I don't see how it could work without one.

David.

Wait, watch and worry Southampton. It's going to be amazing! It's inevitable!

I'd say Southampton are very worried, since they are constantly trying to kick up a huge fuss with cries of "it's not fair, it's not fair". Even people who just live their are stamping their little feet !!

As it happens, I was in Liverpool yesterday for work, both by the Three Graces and then at the Seacombe ferry terminal, so I had a very good view of the Liverpool water front, i.e. the view you'd get from a cruise ship. Obviously it goes without saying that the Liverpool waterfront view cannot hold a candle to the Southampton Waterfront vista. (oh hang on, I've got that wrong haven't I ?)

There's no need to 'build' a cruise terminal as the Cunard Building has been purchased by Liverpool City Council for that very purpose!

Debbie

Brilliant, but it's in the wrong place. Would you build a terminal that isn't dock side and has no bus and car parking facilities. Even if they moved it brick by brick to the dockside it still wouldn't work because there is no room there either.

I would love to see a proper terminal in the city I was born in but we have to face it the Cunard building was designed for another age. It's not fit for purpose for this one.

David.

Brilliant, but it's in the wrong place. Would you build a terminal that isn't dock side and has no bus and car parking facilities. Even if they moved it brick by brick to the dockside it still wouldn't work because there is no room there either.

I would love to see a proper terminal in the city I was born in but we have to face it the Cunard building was designed for another age. It's not fit for purpose for this one.

David.

Hi David

I prefer to take an optimistic 'let's see how it'll pan out' approach to this and see how the Cunard Building works as a terminal first. No it isn't absolutely dockside but it's hardly land locked in the middle of the city centre either.

In respect of the parking/drop off facilities I don't know what's planned but given the vast expanse of the dock area in Liverpool there's surely room for something to built to accommodate vehicles and shuttle passengers to the terminal?

Personally I think it's great news for my city (yep I'm one of those pesky Scousers too :D) and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Debbie

Personally I think it's great news for my city (yep I'm one of those pesky Scousers too :D) and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Debbie

I really hope it works out and Cunard, and they are the make or break, think that the obvious problems are not too much of an obstical to starting and finishing a QM2 cruise.

At the moment there a handful of cruises - Fred Olsen, Discovery, Thomsons that use Liverpol but Cunard would need to be sure that they were not risking a PR fiasco. We even hear of problems at Southampton even ŵith their much more modern terminals.

I agree that there is lots of car and bus parking space further along the dock road, but there would be a lot of bussing from car park to terminal and luggage and passengers from terminal to ship. The idea or a temporary covered walkway seems a bit pie in the sky, knowing the layout from the Cunard building.

As you say, let's wait and see, I really hope I am wrong.

David.

If you arrive by car at Southampton then you drop you car off right by the ship and then it's taken away for you - no busing required. Why would that not work at Liverpool ?

Plus, if you arrive by train they you either get off a Lime Street and take a taxi a very short distance, or get off at James Street and you are almost at the ship.

If you arrive by coach all you need is a drop off point by the ship, again that's not a problem.

Some people seem to be coming up with endless "problems" but surely the cruise lines, council, port authorities have considered all of these "problems" and concluded that either a) they are not problems or b) they can overcome them.

If QM2 is to have Liverpool as an embarkation port on July 4th, 2015 then what move does she make to get there? A 2-day voyage from Southampton to Liverpool? Surely she won't sail empty.

Probably it will be a Northern European cruise that starts in Southampton and ends in Liverpool or maybe a West bound transatlantic crossing that starts in Southampton and stops in Liverpool and passengers have the option to embark aboard QM2 in either port city . Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

If you arrive by car at Southampton then you drop you car off right by the ship and then it's taken away for you - no busing required. Why would that not work at Liverpool ?

Plus, if you arrive by train they you either get off a Lime Street and take a taxi a very short distance, or get off at James Street and you are almost at the ship.

If you arrive by coach all you need is a drop off point by the ship, again that's not a problem.

Some people seem to be coming up with endless "problems" but surely the cruise lines, council, port authorities have considered all of these "problems" and concluded that either a) they are not problems or b) they can overcome them.

When we arrived at the Southampton terminal recently (Arcadia less passengers than QM) there were so many cars that we were marshaled over the other side of the road with a hundred others and had to wait before being let through in batches. Liverpool doesn't have that sort of space. Also when you leave your car at Southampton the car is taken over the road to the car park. Liverpool's car park could be a mile or more down the dock road. How long will that take?. How many shuttle drivers will they need?

There isn't room for multiple coaches at Liverpool and there would be no point in dropping passengers at the ship when the check in desks are in the Cunard building.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work in a fashion on a one off basis, but a cruise terminal in the wrong place isn't going to help Liverpool attract any but the minor players.

David.

David, can't you begin to be a little optimistic about this for the city of your birth? I am sure that much thought was given to the problems and logistics before Cunard buildings was purchased. Personally, I can't wait to see how it all unfolds. Yes, there might be a little inconvenience in 'bussing' but do you not think that this would pale into insignificance besides the trek, for a large proportion of the population of this country, down to Southampton. I know that an earlier poster stated that more people from the south of the country go on cruises (because they earn more money then we do!) but every cruise that I have been on seems to have had a large number of people from north of the border and a fair mixture from everywhere else too. Compare a two day trip against a one day trip and a little bussing. Also think of the pleasure of setting sail from the original Cunard building and that magnificent waterfront compared with the dull, utilitarian pleasures of Southampton.

David, can't you begin to be a little optimistic about this for the city of your birth? I am sure that much thought was given to the problems and logistics before Cunard buildings was purchased. Personally, I can't wait to see how it all unfolds. Yes, there might be a little inconvenience in 'bussing' but do you not think that this would pale into insignificance besides the trek, for a large proportion of the population of this country, down to Southampton. I know that an earlier poster stated that more people from the south of the country go on cruises (because they earn more money then we do!) but every cruise that I have been on seems to have had a large number of people from north of the border and a fair mixture from everywhere else too. Compare a two day trip against a one day trip and a little bussing. Also think of the pleasure of setting sail from the original Cunard building and that magnificent waterfront compared with the dull, utilitarian pleasures of Southampton.

I agree with much that you say and agree that the inconvenience will be worth it for many people, and I would not even be bothered by any of the inevitable South Eastern sneers when they compare Liverpool cruises to the Southapton experience.

My concern is whether Cunard will tolerate what I think we must agree will be a "different" embarkation process. What may be ok for Fred Olsen etc may not be for Cunard.

We must wait and hope that they will at least do one turnaround cruise, and that it proves to be a success.

David.

Liverpool is also my home town (yet another one of those pesky scousers!), and although I now reside far closer to Southampton, I'd jump at the chance of a sailing ex Liverpool. As a kid I remember all the ships lined up along to Mersey and in the docks-always fantasised about a Pier Head departure- count me in!!!

Hi David

I prefer to take an optimistic 'let's see how it'll pan out' approach to this and see how the Cunard Building works as a terminal first. No it isn't absolutely dockside but it's hardly land locked in the middle of the city centre either.

In respect of the parking/drop off facilities I don't know what's planned but given the vast expanse of the dock area in Liverpool there's surely room for something to built to accommodate vehicles and shuttle passengers to the terminal?

couldn't agree more and the sooner the better. Off to Soton in 10 days when I wish I could take a 20 minute ride to my pier head and board there. From another "pesky scouser":)

Probably it will be a Northern European cruise that starts in Southampton and ends in Liverpool or maybe a West bound transatlantic crossing that starts in Southampton and stops in Liverpool and passengers have the option to embark aboard QM2 in either port city . Regards,Jerry

I expect you are right Jerry, so in theory there will be the option of a two night voyage from Southampton to Liverpool. That might well be within my price range :)

David.

Reading between the lines, I think that the only time any of the queens will be actually docked in Liverpool will be when the Queen Mary 2 sails on 4 July. If you read the Cunard announcement elsewhere, the wording is quite precise in May the 3 queens will be "on the Mersey" where I suspect they will float around a bit and then sail off, without any of their passengers (with the possible exception of those on the QM2 which will arrive a day before the QE and the QV) ever setting foot on the streets of Liverpool.

The upshot will be that no terminal expansion or accommodation seemingly will be necessary.

The upshot will be that no terminal expansion or accommodation seemingly will be necessary.

But one visit is not what Liverpool has in mind. Liverpool is hoping that the one off visit will go so well that Cunard will do other turnarounds in coming years. And a steady number of other lines start cruises from the city already.

I hope this happens, but have some doubts, not least because the show is being run by the city council!!

David.

I'd say Southampton are very worried, since they are constantly trying to kick up a huge fuss with cries of "it's not fair, it's not fair". Even people who just live their are stamping their little feet !!

As it happens, I was in Liverpool yesterday for work, both by the Three Graces and then at the Seacombe ferry terminal, so I had a very good view of the Liverpool water front, i.e. the view you'd get from a cruise ship. Obviously it goes without saying that the Liverpool waterfront view cannot hold a candle to the Southampton Waterfront vista. (oh hang on, I've got that wrong haven't I ?)

I live in Southampton and frankly couldn't careless about Liverpool. To be honest, I don't know anyone that does. Admittedly, our local paper ran a few stories with regards your new terminal but that's about it. In my opinion, Cunard switching to Liverpool would be no loss to Southampton because another line would take its place...

For what it's worth, I've been to Liverpool many times and think its a fantastic city.

Out if interest, when and why did Cunard stop using Liverpool as a turnaround port?

I live in Southampton and frankly couldn't careless about Liverpool. To be honest, I don't know anyone that does.

If you have a read of other cruise forums then people get very upset indeed and come up with all sort of reasons to oppose Liverpool becoming a turnaround port again. It's as if they take it as a personal afrontage.