P&O Azura Tipping

jerseybetsie

I have noticed that £3.50 per person per day is added to your on board account. Also that you can amend this amount or have it removed at your request. Would appreciate any advice re do most people just pay this amount and that's it or do people have it removed and tip at their discretion. Thanks for any advice.

progress.gif

I have noticed that £3.50 per person per day is added to your on board account. Also that you can amend this amount or have it removed at your request. Would appreciate any advice re do most people just pay this amount and that's it or do people have it removed and tip at their discretion. Thanks for any advice.

progress.gif

You will find people do both, we leave it on as it is easier. Remember the the tips on P&O are the lowest in major world cruising.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was told that the tips do not go to all of the staff for example , staff working in the laundry etc, the tips mainly go to the restaurant and cabin staff, I therefore had mine removed and tipped personally the staff who I thought earned it.

Not sure how true it was but was told that the tips mainly go to the more senior staff.

I was told that the tips do not go to all of the staff for example , staff working in the laundry etc, the tips mainly go to the restaurant and cabin staff, I therefore had mine removed and tipped personally the staff who I thought earned it.

Not sure how true it was but was told that the tips mainly go to the more senior staff.

There is so much rubbish in the discussions on tipping. The tips go to exactly who you used to tip before, your cabin steward and your table waiters. That is it no senior staff. If you give cash instead of the auto tip then the staff have to report that to management. If they do not they can be in trouble. The waiters in the bars are taken care of by the 15% on all drinks which are included in the price unlike other lines who add it on.

Any other information you get is put out by those who wish to get out of tipping. Any excuse to remove the tip.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I leave the tips on as we do freedom dining but I always tip the cabin steward cash on top, I actually thought that was the done thing to do, and was always worried I didn't give enough in the envelope that they have given me.

How can the staff report cash tips given to them as they wouldn't always know who it came from they don't know my name or cabin number, unless in the MDR or I have signed a slip when using my card ?

If we have had exceptional service from anyone we usually give them a little extra. Cabin Steward, Drinks Waiter, Table staff etc.

My PERSONAL thoughts on this matter:

A lot of the Ships staff's wage packet (including the tips) goes directly back home to their family. The staff want to enjoy a beer, buy stuff in ports etc. just like we do. That's where the Cash tips are invaluable to those who get them.

Paying people (tips or wages) who have worked hard for me is something I enjoy doing.

Yup, we leave them on. They are pretty low anyway.

As a slight aside.......I noticed one online agent ( name refers to an eskimo's house) who on all cruise price pages states 'Tips are added to your account but you can take them off'. They also said that to me when I got a phone quote. Now I think that is immoral. Yes, take them off if youve had bad service or want to tip directly but not to save money.

Yup, we leave them on. They are pretty low anyway.

As a slight aside.......I noticed one online agent ( name refers to an eskimo's house) who on all cruise price pages states 'Tips are added to your account but you can take them off'. They also said that to me when I got a phone quote. Now I think that is immoral. Yes, take them off if youve had bad service or want to tip directly but not to save money.

You think that is wrong. I phoned P&O with a query about a cruise I was interested in and during the conversation the lady at P&O told me I could save money by removing the tips! I was astonished.

I have cruised about 10 times, never with P&O and always leave the tips on.

Under the system whereby you tipped individuals, they didn't keep it all. They paid others who helped them, like the army of helpers on changeover days.

Having been cruising for sometime,, the gratuity is just part of the cost of the vacation and should we have exceptional service we give a little more. However I do understand that it may be challenging to some who are encouraged to cruise by the 'Giveaway' prices and then find an additional cost of £100 plus, a far greater amount than they would consider for a land based holiday.

Cb

Under the system whereby you tipped individuals, they didn't keep it all. They paid others who helped them, like the army of helpers on changeover days.

Having been cruising for sometime,, the gratuity is just part of the cost of the vacation and should we have exceptional service we give a little more. However I do understand that it may be challenging to some who are encouraged to cruise by the 'Giveaway' prices and then find an additional cost of £100 plus, a far greater amount than they would consider for a land based holiday.

Cb

Having cruised 28 times I consider that I am an experienced cruiser but I have been tempted this year by the Getaway prices to have extra cruises. Ragardless of how much or how little my husband and I have paid for the cruise we would never consider cancelling or reducing the gratuity and always add an extra cash tip for our cabin steward and waiters. I find it a little condescending that you insinuate that people on Getaways may find it challenging to pay the gratuities. My experience has been that many of the whingers who reduce or cancel their gratuities have actually paid the full price but then because they are upset at other people taking advantage of Getaway prices have paid a lot less they "punish" the poorly paid, overworled staff on the ship by not paying gratuities.

You think that is wrong. I phoned P&O with a query about a cruise I was interested in and during the conversation the lady at P&O told me I could save money by removing the tips! I was astonished.

I have cruised about 10 times, never with P&O and always leave the tips on.

Thats appalling. Cruise line staff depriving their own cruise line staff of tips.