What's the purpose of the tasting bar?

4merlurker

If it's sample from pay venues then what do they put out on ships that don't have any pay restaurants? Just random stuff from the MDR?

Lover of good sushi. I think I'll be happy either way though. It wasn't like Carnival's sushi was anything to write home about... but that never stopped me from stopping by every night :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see the justification IF the ship has multiple pay venues but there's only 1 pay restaurant on the splendor - the steakhouse. How much could they offer to "taste" from that menu for 8 days? :confused:

Now it would be a different story if they put in a Guys Burgers or something cool like that............

Edited by 4merlurker

If it's sample from pay venues then what do they put out on ships that don't have any pay restaurants? Just random stuff from the MDR?
No, they have the pay restaurant "tastes" on ships that don't have the restaurants themselves. Last month on the Paradise, there were tastes from Blue Iguana, Cucina del Capitano, and Red Frog, none of which appear on that ship. Which I personally think is both fun and smart - it encourages me to look at sailings on larger/newer ships with these expanded options, even though I generally prefer the smaller ships.

I could see the justification IF the ship has multiple pay venues but there's only 1 pay restaurant on the splendor - the steakhouse. How much could they offer to "taste" from that menu for 8 days? :confused:

Now it would be a different story if they put in a Guys Burgers or something cool like that............

It makes people think about choosing a ship with the additional venues next time.

I love good sushi but the stuff on Carnival is not. What's with the cream cheese? Is that an American thing?

Anyway, I think the taste bar is an attempt to promote the add on dining options on their other ships, so that someone may choose to try them one day. Variety is the spice of live after all.

The taste bar is only open 3-4 evenings anyway and it will have the tastes from the specialty restaurants even if it doesn't have those venues onboard.

I have yet to find the sushi on the buffet, although I will look again next month.

I would rather have the sushi than the taste bar :(.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app