Group tours in Africa

kathy16

We are considering a 13 day Tauck tour (Tanzania/Kenya) next September, with a side trip to Capetown afterwards for 3 days, then flying home. We have been used to cruising (which we love), but others have suggested a land tour first to "see" Africa. Anyone have experience with this type of tour, or should we just do a cruise?

Thanks,

Kathy

We've done it both ways. Twice by land and once by cruise. Definitely recommend land tour to get full safari experience. We are doing Capetown to Singapore next year but have already been to Capetown. You will love the safari.

Edited by ruppert18
Typo

If African animals in the wild is what you want to see, then a multi-day land tour/safari is the way to go.

I was on a 9-day safari to Tanzania in February 2012, including the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. It wasn't through Tauck, but several folks on the safari raved about how good Tauck was on some other trips they'd taken.

The Tauck accommodations look wonderful. I've stayed at 2 of them: the Mountain Village, Arusha, and the Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge at the Crater. Both were beautiful.

You will love it! It will be amazing!

(Personally, after going on safari, I would never choose to cruise on a big ocean ship to "see" Africa. Big city ports don't interest me there. I would love to cruise on the Zambezi River, however, go on more safaris, and ride the luxury trains.)

• 2 weeks later...
We are considering a 13 day Tauck tour (Tanzania/Kenya) next September, with a side trip to Capetown afterwards for 3 days, then flying home. We have been used to cruising (which we love), but others have suggested a land tour first to "see" Africa. Anyone have experience with this type of tour, or should we just do a cruise?

Thanks,

Kathy

I also would recommend a land tour for exploring SA. We did a small group tour with General Tours that included Victoria Falls in Zambia, a three day safari at a private lodge adjacent to Kruger, a day in the wine country and three days in Capetown and loved it. Pricing included internal flights.

http://generaltours.com/Destination/Africa/Journey-to-South-Africa-Victoria-Falls-%281%29.aspx

• 5 months later...
We are considering a 13 day Tauck tour (Tanzania/Kenya) next September, with a side trip to Capetown afterwards for 3 days, then flying home. ... Anyone have experience with this type of tour, or should we just do a cruise?

A side trip to Cape Town ? :confused: It is at least 7 hours of flight from Tanzania to Cape Town, not counting international transits, and I'd be surprised if anyone would suggest flying so far to a different region of Africa, to then just spend 3 days, and then flying home. Many tourists will fly to Cape Town and spend closer to a week. There is a lot to do down in the Western Cape to be quite honest. The sheer exhaustion of having traveled for 13 days in East Africa, flying for a day to get to Cape Town, and basically only getting to spend 2 days there is of very little value for any traveler in my mind. :confused: Perhaps a road-warrior might enjoy a high-speed immersion in such a brief period of time.:eek:

Someone once asked me "Do you think I can do East Africa, South Africa and West Africa in 3 weeks?" I was almost speechless.

Actually it turns out to be 4 nights in Cape Town, and leaving late Saturday evening- almost another whole day... We will be resting for 1 night at the Serena Nairobi for 1 night after the safari. Hope to see a lot during our time in Cape Town. We will be going in early October. Reserved waterfront Radisson Blu hotel- but it might not be warm enough then to enjoy all the amenities. We probably will never get back to Africa, so I want to see what I can while I can. We are both working full-time, so not too easy to get several weeks off together.

Thanks,

Kathy

OK, 4 nights sounds like a better time frame. You will enjoy the additional time. October is late Spring so weather should be comfortable, and local kids will be in school so there should not be too many local tourists on holiday at that time. Of course the ocean will always be cold as it is a cold-current zone (think of swimming in the Pacific near San Francisco). Enjoy your trip.