9 Days on the Gem, Nov. 6th-15th

Gregor4500

"We decided on Le Gallion beach. "

How much were the chaise lounges and umbrellas at Le Galliion?

Thanks,

Two lounges and an umbrella for $15. We were there on a Sunday so around noon locals started showing up. They pretty much stayed at the north end of the beach, where there were what appeared to be long floating docks to play on and dive off of. The tourists (about 10 of us) stayed at the end with the bar/restaurant and chairs. If it wasn't a weekend I think it would have been really empty. We were the only ship in port.

Edited by Gregor4500

Great review!

I just spent one night on the Gem -- my first ever cruise -- and loved the ship! Question: You mentioned explaining to the other couple at the taxi stand the difference between Orient and the other beach. Having never been to either... what IS the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Richard/Tralfie

Two lounges and an umbrella for $15. We were there on a Sunday so around noon locals started showing up. They pretty much stayed at the north end of the beach, where there were what appeared to be long floating docks to play on and dive off of. The tourists (about 10 of us) stayed at the end with the bar/restaurant and chairs. If it wasn't a weekend I think it would have been really empty. We were the only ship in port.

Thanks for posting your review. We will be on her 10/2014. We are so looking forward to it!

Great review!

I just spent one night on the Gem -- my first ever cruise -- and loved the ship! Question: You mentioned explaining to the other couple at the taxi stand the difference between Orient and the other beach. Having never been to either... what IS the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Richard/Tralfie

Le Gallion has less of everything. Less people, less bars, less restaurants, less nudity, less vendors, less waves and less of an incline when entering the water.

Sometimes, less is more.

Something I forgot to mention is when disembarking in NY we always get a porter. You don't have to wait in any customs line and they bring all our bags up to our car. From the time we spot our luggage to our car it is literally as fast as we can walk ( to keep up with the porter)with a 45 second stop at customs.

Thanks for your review! Been on this itinerary twice and I'm looking forward to visiting Sapphire and Cayo for the first time.

Have you been to Megan's Bay and how does it compare it to Sapphire?

Was the sailaway party outdoors?

Hi - glad you had a great time - you stated you were in a mini-suite. As they are all on deck 11 with much activity in deck 12, could you hear noise in your cabin from above? We just booked a mini on deck 11 with kitchen for LaCuchina above us. Hope it is not noisy.

Thanks for your review! Been on this itinerary twice and I'm looking forward to visiting Sapphire and Cayo for the first time.

Have you been to Megan's Bay and how does it compare it to Sapphire

I can answer that one -- Megans is quiet and calm. Nothing more than a ripple when I was there a couple of years ago. Nothing to see if you like to snorkel. I spent the day at Sapphire last January and would call it the opposite of Megans. Nice sized waves and good snorkeling. Megans is a nat'l park and charges an admission fee ($4pp I think) which doesn't include chairs or umbrella. Sapphire you can just walk on and rent chairs. We didn't need an umbrella -- there was plenty of shade.

I can answer that one -- Megans is quiet and calm. Nothing more than a ripple when I was there a couple of years ago. Nothing to see if you like to snorkel. I spent the day at Sapphire last January and would call it the opposite of Megans. Nice sized waves and good snorkeling. Megans is a nat'l park and charges an admission fee ($4pp I think) which doesn't include chairs or umbrella. Sapphire you can just walk on and rent chairs. We didn't need an umbrella -- there was plenty of shade.

I would like to add both times we were at Megans it was way more crowded than Sapphire. Also when we were there, there were barely any waves. As the day progressed the got a little bigger but I would still call it calm.

1890015239_cruise2013059.jpg.c977f639664b5f25ee51dbb9fe9292b0.jpg

Hi - glad you had a great time - you stated you were in a mini-suite. As they are all on deck 11 with much activity in deck 12, could you hear noise in your cabin from above? We just booked a mini on deck 11 with kitchen for LaCuchina above us. Hope it is not noisy.

We were below the pool area. It was not a problem at all.

I have never gotten a spa pass, I assumed it was high priced without looking. For $139 for 9 days, that is very reasonable. Do you know what that includes?

It did seem reasonable to us also. (I could be a little off on the price)But figured we'd only use it on sea days. Problem is my wife is prone to motion sickness, and with the spa located at the bow we decided against.

Included is full access to the pool, spa, locker rooms and loungers. Some people really like the heated loungers.

It did seem reasonable to us also. (I could be a little off on the price)But figured we'd only use it on sea days. Problem is my wife is prone to motion sickness, and with the spa located at the bow we decided against.

Included is full access to the pool, spa, locker rooms and loungers. Some people really like the heated loungers.

Heated loungers!! Sounds like a slice of heaven!!