did we make a mistake booking getaway in Feb?

bostonfred

we are getting concerned about all the negative reviews on the breakaway.seems they still can't get it together.Does anyone have anything positive about the Breakaway that can make us feel better about our Feb sailing on the Getaway...recently cruised Oasis and it was incredible.we constantly defend NCL to cruisers we meet aboard other lines as we have had excellent luck in the past on NCL.we're not hard to please and can go with the flow,but we admit to being worried for the first time about a booking....thanks!!:D:D

I don't have time right now to go into detail but I think you'll be fine. We did Breakaway in October. Our two previous cruises were Oasis and Allure. Although nothing can compare to the size and wow of those two, we had a blast! We even had a cruise booked for January on Independence and changed over to Epic. Don't worry yourself to death!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I can tell you this: I have never been to Europe before, done a Transatlantic crossing or done a Maiden cruise. I am doing all three in January on The Getaway. I can not wait. I have not read anything about The Breakaway that would cause me to cancel this cruise. A lot of the opening Senior Officers of The Breakaway will also open The Getaway. The gentlemen on the Bridge are experienced officers. I would go with an open mind and make your own conclusions. Have a wonderful time.

I sailed a lot on ncl before our breakaway cruise. It was ship's 3rd sailing. I was completely turned off. Unorganized mess, and I love ncl to pieces! I cancelled our December cruise and now think about canceling further. It was a bummer. Nothing worked, crowds everywhere and no personal attention like we were used to. I understand working out all kinks out of new ship, but not at cost of your passengers.

I sailed a lot on ncl before our breakaway cruise. It was ship's 3rd sailing. I was completely turned off. Unorganized mess, and I love ncl to pieces! I cancelled our December cruise and now think about canceling further. It was a bummer. Nothing worked, crowds everywhere and no personal attention like we were used to. I understand working out all kinks out of new ship, but not at cost of your passengers.

Surprising for all the experience you have listed that you wouldn't have known better not to book a cabin near noisy bars etc. Trust me you'll be back for those Latitudes perks.

I sailed on the Breakway in May and booked a cruise on the Getaway as soon as we got home. Was our trip perfect? No. Was it a great week spent with my family without having to worry about cooking and cleaning and bills waiting at home? Yes. Your vacation is what you make of it and if you don't let little things bother you (dinner too slow, long lines for some activities, etc.), you will have a great vacation. There are plenty of activities for all ages (my bf and I are early 20s and my parents are in 50s and 60s) and none of us were ever bored. Just relax and look forward to the warm weather. We've already gotten some snow and ice here in upstate NY!

The one thing that definitely helped save our cross was going to guest services as soon as we had a problem (OBC didn't show up on account) and they were able to resolve it within 24 hours. If we didn't check our account and resolve the problem immediately, it probably would have made the cruise less enjoyable and make us rethink booking on NCL again.

My family, sister and in-laws were on the Breakaway in May. It was awesome. The 8 of us enjoyed pretty much everything about it. I have only sailed NCL and honestly as of now I'm not going on another line because I like NCL so much. I just don't want to be disappointed. Booked Getaway within days of getting off the Breakaway. Is everything perfect? - no. But as far as vacation goes that's enjoyable for all of our family from age 13 to 80 - It's the place for us. Everyone is different. I think Getaway will be great. Personally I prefer the Pearl, but these new ships are so tempting to try and we all enjoy them!

My family, sister and in-laws were on the Breakaway in May. It was awesome. The 8 of us enjoyed pretty much everything about it. I have only sailed NCL and honestly as of now I'm not going on another line because I like NCL so much. I just don't want to be disappointed. Booked Getaway within days of getting off the Breakaway. Is everything perfect? - no. But as far as vacation goes that's enjoyable for all of our family from age 13 to 80 - It's the place for us. Everyone is different. I think Getaway will be great. Personally I prefer the Pearl, but these new ships are so tempting to try and we all enjoy them!

we are easy going flexible cruisers,so the little things won't bother us.....I don't know what to make of that previous rant...this will be our 20th cruiseon multiple lines,so we have experience.just read so much complaining that we get worried.I know you can't pleae everyone,but this was more than usual!!..hope to get some nore encouragement,or reasoned complaints:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We sailed the Breakaway 2 weeks ago. We loved the food and the ship itself, didn't care for the HUGE crowds after muster drill (and trying to navigate onto an elevator while pushing someone in a wheelchair). Also difficult was the narrow hallways and trying to navigate the utility carts and vacumn cleaners while pushing a wheelchair too. NCL knew we had an HC cabin and a person in a wheelchair, the least they could have done was provide us with another area for muster and NOT put HC cabins towards the aft of long narrow hallways.

Other than that, the entertainment was good, the magician/comedian was awful and the Second City show in Headlines was downright AWFUL! Specialty restaurants were delicious and I would NOT cruise in the Fall/Winter/Spring from anywhere in the northeast. The balconies were cold, the pools/slides were closed and the rock climbing wall and obstacle course were closed most times because of wind.

We missed GSC and with that only had 2 port stops: Port Canaveral and Nassau. That left us 5 sea days, which turned into "ship fever". At least we've confirmed the fact that we are NOT "consecutive sea days" people and would go stir crazy on a fall/winter transatlantic.

NCL knew we had an HC cabin and a person in a wheelchair, the least they could have done was provide us with another area for muster and NOT put HC cabins towards the aft of long narrow hallways.

The muster stations are mandated by the cabin's placement on the ship, they can not change them based on the fact that it might be inconvinient for someone. The emergency procedures need to be always the same and they need to be able to train all crew to handle emergency situations always the same without per-cruise exceptions and changes.

If there was a real emergency and person in a wheelchair would need help to get to the muster station from wherever they are, the crew does have procedures and specific people assigned for that.

What comes to the placement of HC cabins, if all of them were placed right by the stairs and elevators, there would be complaining about the cabins not being placed to more quiet areas.

Edited by Demonyte

I sailed on the Breakaway and loved it! I am looking forward to booking the Getaway too.

Don't like whiny people make you worried you might not like your cruise. You've sailed on big sized ships so you know what to expect.

Relax, have fun, and enjoy that new ship smell!!

The muster stations are mandated by the cabin's placement on the ship, they can not change them based on the fact that it might be inconvinient for someone. The emergency procedures need to be always the same and they need to be able to train all crew to handle emergency situations always the same without per-cruise exceptions and changes.

If there was a real emergency and person in a wheelchair would need help to get to the muster station from wherever they are, the crew does have procedures and specific people assigned for that.

What comes to the placement of HC cabins, if all of them were placed right by the stairs and elevators, there would be complaining about the cabins not being placed to more quiet areas.

Carnival had a separate area in another lounge for wheelchair-bound passengers to meet for muster or in the event of an emergency. That's something NCL should look into. We were also dismissed a few minutes before everyone else which gave us a head start for the elevators back to the cabin.

As it was on NCL, it made for a very dangerous in the mass exodus from The Manhattan Room with someone in a wheelchair.

Yeah That ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very well said.

We are trying to decide between Oasis and Getaway for next May we did Allure last year and I worry it would be too much the same doing Oasis this year. Getaway will be a different.

I love the specialty dinning and know that going in and plan accordingly. In fact the spa is looking very good on Getaway

we are getting concerned about all the negative reviews on the breakaway.seems they still can't get it together.Does anyone have anything positive about the Breakaway that can make us feel better about our Feb sailing on the Getaway...recently cruised Oasis and it was incredible.we constantly defend NCL to cruisers we meet aboard other lines as we have had excellent luck in the past on NCL.we're not hard to please and can go with the flow,but we admit to being worried for the first time about a booking....thanks!!:D:D

I don't know what negative reviews of the Breakaway you have read, but my son, the ship fanatic, loves the Breakaway. He's been on so many cruises that I've lost count how many. They were also on different lines. I mention this only because I want you to understand that I think he is a seasoned enough cruiser that he should know what to expect by now. I will keep my comments limited to the Breakaway, Oasis and Allure as a basis for comparison since it appears you liked the Oasis. Just based on this year, my son was on the Breakaway in May and loved it, on the Allure in June and was blown away, on the Oasis in August and thought it was the same as the Allure, and in August back again on the Breakaway--which he said was the best cruise he ever sailed--which means a lot to me since he has had some over the top, fabulous cruise experiences. He is now looking forward to the Getaway which is booked for March 2014. I was a little irritated at how NCL in May increased the prices for the Breakaway spa passes and Oceanblue (which I didn't think was worth it), but these things were minor and didn't prevent me from having a great time. Overall I thought the ship was beautiful and the staff wonderful. Similarly, a meal we had at Chops on the Oasis was terrible but that didn't prevent us from thinking the ship is great. I can only generalize since people like or dislike different things, but I don't think you should be too worried about booking the Getaway, especially based on your "go with the flow" attitude. My son can't wait.

Edited by kiyoko

I think you will be fine. You are sailing out of Florida, which tends to have a more relaxed crowd than if sailing out of the NE. The production show is Legally Blonde, so you don't have to worry about Rock of Ages, and, I have always had a great crew when leaving from Florida, no matter which line it was. The Getaway looks so much nicer to me than Breakaway does - the hull art, anyway. I am really looking forward to our cruise in April.

I was on Breakaway in May as well, on her second trip to Bermuda. My husband and I had a marvelous time! Sure, there were a few little snags here and there, but none of them ruined our trip, and we booked Getaway almost immediately after getting home. It's a really fun ship, with tons to do. Yes, there are some lines, particularly for dinner if you're going at a popular time. But as long as you recognize that you're on vacation, and roll with the bumps, you'll be fine.

Nothing is perfect, but that's ok, sometimes the alternative stuff you do is just as good! For example, we went to the Manhattan Room for dinner a few times, and there was a wait. Of course there's a wait, it's the "fancy" dining room and it has dancers! We got our buzzer, and headed just upstairs to the Prime Meridian bar. It has a view of the dining room, and was practically empty. We had a nice pre-dinner drink, did some people-watching, and relaxed for a few minutes before our buzzer signaled our table was ready. If we hadn't had the wait, we wouldn't have discovered our favorite bar!

You'll be fine on Getaway. It's going to be a blast!

I was on Breakaway on 9/29 and had a wonderful trip. She is a beauty with so many nice spaces. Love the Waterfront concept. NCL is a great line to sail. Each person can have a personal preference of lines. I think there is no such thing as a bad cruise and yes some are better than others. My trip on Breakaway was better than some others. I can't wait for the Getaway! Some nice new features as well. The illusionarium looks amazing...Have a great time and don't over think it.

We cruised Breakaway in October, last time 2013 to Bermuda. Great time. I actually started a thread and have never finished it. Yes, some things happen that are less than our high expectations; the same for all cruise lines. We are only 5+ years into cruising, Disney, Celebrity Solstice class, RCCL Oasis class and NCL Breakaway, so not a real expert. However, these are almost billion dollar ships, cities on the water, and a real treat.

Do things go wrong? Yep. Our last Equinox S. Caribbean cruise had a real issue with dining because of a large group booking, norovirus and other matters re: the demographics/age of the PAX, but the Solstice class ships are beautiful. We learned. But we still had a good time.

Breakaway was our first NCL. We absolutely loved it. Yep, there were some issues, but they were really PAX initiated. You simply can't please everyone all the time. We had such a good time that we booked Getaway in May, and plan to back to back it with Oasis (again) or Allure (for the 4th time).

Enjoy.