Manhattan Cruise port: Walking

mcarlson86

Hello! Hoping someone who's done this before or is from the area can help me out! I need pretty straightforward directions on the best way to get to the NYC Manhattan cruise terminal via subway/walking. I can see that 12th avenue/55th street has an "entrance" but it looks like it is more for cars/taxis than people. I have been searching but I find mostly people saying it's "too far" or to just get a taxi. Others say how easy it is, but nobody has actually posted how to do it. I'm not from NYC so basically i need someone to say exactly what street (obviously it'll be 12th avenue) is the best place for a pedestrian to use for entrance to the terminal. I'm sailing on Carnival from either 88/90/92nd pier. If you can even just give me that information I'll figure out what subway stop is closest!

Thanks!

Megan

Edited by mcarlson86

You will see the ship at its pier. 88,90 or 92. There is an entrance on the 12th Ave street level at all three. Elevator up one level and voila. There is someone at the lower level to take your bag and check them in.

Depending on your luggage it is a 15 minute walk from Times Square to the ship.

Holy, is it really that easy?!? Amazing! When I google street view it, it looks like there if a fence all along 12th except for at the two ends, but I guess there is a gate or something that opens at the actual piers? I see the signs that say 88/90/92nd etc, so is it by those signs that I get it?

Thanks so much!!

Hello! Hoping someone who's done this before or is from the area can help me out! I need pretty straightforward directions on the best way to get to the NYC Manhattan cruise terminal via subway/walking. I can see that 12th avenue/55th street has an "entrance" but it looks like it is more for cars/taxis than people. I have been searching but I find mostly people saying it's "too far" or to just get a taxi. Others say how easy it is, but nobody has actually posted how to do it. I'm not from NYC so basically i need someone to say exactly what street (obviously it'll be 12th avenue) is the best place for a pedestrian to use for entrance to the terminal. I'm sailing on Carnival from either 88/90/92nd pier. If you can even just give me that information I'll figure out what subway stop is closest!

Thanks!

Megan

When I stay at the Sheraton, I walk straight down 52nd at 7th. It's a walk, but doable. If you're doing the Subway, your best station is the (A) C E at 50th and 8th. Then it's 4 long blocks, and a couple short ones up. There's an elevator to take you up to the second floor.

Holy, is it really that easy?!? Amazing! When I google street view it, it looks like there if a fence all along 12th except for at the two ends, but I guess there is a gate or something that opens at the actual piers? I see the signs that say 88/90/92nd etc, so is it by those signs that I get it?

Thanks so much!!

Yes, there is a long fence, with at least one opening in the middle.

When you get off at the 50th Street station (C/E train), you want to head toward the west side. If you are not sure, just ask anyone which way is 9th Avenue. From there, you can walk directly toward pier 90. You can then find your ship and drop off your luggage easily. :D

I think the gates are there when no ship is in port, but when a ship is docked, the gates would be opened.

When you get off at the 50th Street station (C/E train), you want to head toward the west side. If you are not sure, just ask anyone which way is 9th Avenue. From there, you can walk directly toward pier 90. You can then find your ship and drop off your luggage easily. :D

I think the gates are there when no ship is in port, but when a ship is docked, the gates would be opened.

Ok, this makes much more sense to me!! I was seeing all the fence and thinking I'd have to walk all the way to the vehicle entrance when I could SEE the ship I needed through the gate! I just did the "walk" with street view (google) and it's nice and flat, I don't see any issue with walking it at all! wonderful!

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Megan

50th street, C or E train, then go west toward the Hudson River. The ship is in the Hudson River.

A taxi from midtown with tip might be $10. NYC taxis do not hit you with high fees for luggage, so short taxi rides are a relative bargain.

I've done the walk with a small piece of luggage for a 4-day cruise, but would not suggest this with enough luggage for a full week.

Thanks so much!!

Just get yourself to 12th avenue and 48th street. walk or taxi from grand central. bus or taxi ffrom Penn. Not sure if I would walk from Penn but I guess some do.

very easy port. of course all ports are easy for me as I travel with just a 21 inch wheel on.

Take a tip from a native New Yorker...DO NOT drag your suitcase. Up and down subway stairs and all over Manhattan....it's a hassle ....lots of people on the street,etc....too many obstacles..taxi ride fom Grand Central Station or Penn Station is pretty cheap...go for it!

We do this all the time. We take the C train to 50th & walk to the Westside hwy. If you are used to walking, and if you

pack one rolling bag, its not an issue. But if you are a heavy packer...I don't suggest it. Perhaps a cab to the pier would be better.

We love to walk & pack light, so this works for us. When you get back, you will exit the terminal on Westside hwy @ 48th st. And cabs are waiting across the street.