Honeymoon Cruise: Carnival Breeze vs Celebrity Reflection? Help!

OpenSea 311

Long time Cruise Critic fan, and my first forum post...

So the good thing is that I've locked down my decision between 2 ships. Carnival Breeze and Celebrity Reflection sailing on 12/27/14. I understand that they are 2 different cruise ship experiences. I just need some guidance please...

Here is the catch, my honeymoon will be during peak season. Unfortunately, this is the only week we can go. Trust me, I'd rather not go during peak season. My fiancée and I are both 25 years old. We plan on sailing to celebrate the New Year and more importantly, our honeymoon. Aside from the premium price, another down side is that there will be a lot of families, and lots of kids onboard. Which brings me first to Carnival...

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze last year with my family and had a blast! It was one of the best cruising experiences I've had. I really enjoyed the "Fun Ship 2.0" theme. Everything from the fast casual food eateries to the George Lopez comedy club. I also really enjoyed the Adults only serenity pool deck. Carnival has long been my favorite cruise line. Since its a family conscious cruise liner, I'm afraid the Carnival Breeze will be loaded with kids during peak season which could be a negative.

I sailed the Celebrity Solstice(sister ship to the Reflection) a few years ago, again with my family. It definitely was an older crowd, but the ship was beautiful, modern, and the service was top notch. It felt very up scale, but a tad on the boring side. They did have much better food quality for dinner but the lunch selection/buffets were OK in my opinion. That's maybe because I'm a "burgers and fries" kinda guy. I am a very laid back/casual cruiser. I don't care too much for the glitz and glamour that Celebrity provides but I just don't want to be stuck with an all seniors cruise on my honeymoon either. I know that it will be a quieter, more "romantic" experience possibly on the Celebrity, but I think I sacrifice the fun factor.

Carnival is about $800 cheaper, which is nice, but it will not make or break it for me. If you take the price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

I will also mention that the fiancée and I will be staying 5 nights at a luxury adults only all-inclusive resort in Jamaica prior to the cruise. So we will get to enjoy 5 nights of peace :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ricky

Edited by OpenSea 311

Long time Cruise Critic fan, and my first forum post...

So the good thing is that I've locked down my decision between 2 ships. Carnival Breeze and Celebrity Reflection sailing on 12/27/14. I understand that they are 2 different cruise ship experiences. I just need some guidance please...

Here is the catch, my honeymoon will be during peak season. Unfortunately, this is the only week we can go. Trust me, I'd rather not go during peak season. My fiancée and I are both 25 years old. We plan on sailing to celebrate the New Year and more importantly, our honeymoon. Aside from the premium price, another down side is that there will be a lot of families, and lots of kids onboard. Which brings me first to Carnival...

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze last year with my family and had a blast! It was one of the best cruising experiences I've had. I really enjoyed the "Fun Ship 2.0" theme. Everything from the fast casual food eateries to the George Lopez comedy club. I also really enjoyed the Adults only serenity pool deck. Carnival has long been my favorite cruise line. Since its a family conscious cruise liner, I'm afraid the Carnival Breeze will be loaded with kids during peak season which could be a negative.

I sailed the Celebrity Solstice(sister ship to the Reflection) a few years ago, again with my family. It definitely was an older crowd, but the ship was beautiful, modern, and the service was top notch. It felt very up scale, but a tad on the boring side. They did have much better food quality for dinner but the lunch selection/buffets were OK in my opinion. That's maybe because I'm a "burgers and fries" kinda guy. I am a very laid back/casual cruiser. I don't care too much for the glitz and glamour that Celebrity provides but I just don't want to be stuck with an all seniors cruise on my honeymoon either. I know that it will be a quieter, more "romantic" experience possibly on the Celebrity, but I think I sacrifice the fun factor.

Carnival is about $800 cheaper, which is nice, but it will not make or break it for me. If you take the price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

I will also mention that the fiancée and I will be staying 5 nights at a luxury adults only all-inclusive resort in Jamaica prior to the cruise. So we will get to enjoy 5 nights of peace :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ricky

My perspective will probably be skewed, we are getting married on the Reflection and staying onboard after for our honeymoon. We will be 24, and just find that the atmosphere is relaxed for us. I (we) have never sailed Carnival, so I can't give you a direct comparison. We are choosing to sail in an Aqua class suite for several reasons. First, for more space. Second, we love Blu and find that it gives a more intimate dining experience as opposed to the banquet experience of the main dining room. When we booked we also had the benefit of getting a beverage package with our booking. I would agree that you sacrifice the "fun factor" simply because there is a lot less organized activity and no real huge amenities like other ships have. I obviously love the Celebrity product, and will be happy to report back after my trips on the Reflection, but you may have made your choice by then :)

Good luck, no matter what you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

I appreciate your feedback. And its good to hear this from someone so close in age to myself and fiancee. I will have to research the Aqua Class & Blu. The beverage package that you're referring to, is the "all-you-can drink-alcohol" package, correct?

Thanks again!

My perspective will probably be skewed, we are getting married on the Reflection and staying onboard after for our honeymoon. We will be 24, and just find that the atmosphere is relaxed for us. I (we) have never sailed Carnival, so I can't give you a direct comparison. We are choosing to sail in an Aqua class suite for several reasons. First, for more space. Second, we love Blu and find that it gives a more intimate dining experience as opposed to the banquet experience of the main dining room. When we booked we also had the benefit of getting a beverage package with our booking. I would agree that you sacrifice the "fun factor" simply because there is a lot less organized activity and no real huge amenities like other ships have. I obviously love the Celebrity product, and will be happy to report back after my trips on the Reflection, but you may have made your choice by then :)

Good luck, no matter what you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

The gist I get from your post is that you would have a better time aboard the Carnival Breeze. It seems that the quieter and more romatic experience that you will expect on the Reflection you will already get at your adults only Jamaica resort.

Your concern about the overload of kids on the Breeze is warranted, given that it's during a time when school is out. But you could always try to avoid the areas where they will most likely be (ie the main pool, arcade, and kids areas). Also, some of the things you like about Carnival (the Sanctuary and Comedy Club) are areas where you wouldn't find kids. And really they're only an issue on sea days cuz they'll all disembark at the ports of call, right? :)

Whatever your decision, you'll still have a great time cuz you'll be on a cruise!

I appreciate your feedback. And its good to hear this from someone so close in age to myself and fiancee. I will have to research the Aqua Class & Blu. The beverage package that you're referring to, is the "all-you-can drink-alcohol" package, correct?

Thanks again!

The package we got when booking was classic (soft drinks, non premium water, beer up to $5/glass and spirits/wines/frozen drinks up to $8 per glass), we will be upgrading to the premium package (everything $12 or under) before we go. I will be on the Reflection in December, so I can report back on the ship and my feelings of it, but not from a wedding/honeymoon perspective as I am traveling with my mom.

So I've made up my mind...If you can't choose between the 2 ships, then why not do them both! Just last week I booked a cruise with my brothers and friends on the Carnival Breeze in February and I will do the Celebrity Reflection for the honeymoon next December. Its a win-win in my books. Thanks again for everyones replies. Much appreciated :)