Robes

EnTnSA

Wife and I were just amazed at the amount of people that felt it OK to wander around the ship in their robes, just about every day, on the Triumph last week.

Mornings were the worst. Women mostly, bed head, looked like a train wreck, like they rolled out of bed, threw a robe over their PJs (maybe?), and went upstairs to have breakfast.

I couldn't imagine going out in public in my PJs. We typically don't get dolled up for anything on the ship until dinner time, but we at least get dressed, brush our teeth, look somewhat presentable.

This isn't your house, you are in public, these people are not your family, they are strangers. How about put some clothes on, and make a LITTLE bit of an attempt to clean yourself up a bit.

Am I just being too snooty? Are robes in public socially acceptable? What is your take on it?

Edited by EnTnSA

Besides, I have the feeling that I'm not the only one who finds the robe a bit snug. . . and gappy? It's fine for the balcony but those gaps don't belong in public. Now, bed head? That's a real problem for those of us who tend to get "humid weather itis" on cruises. LOL

Wife and I were just amazed at the amount of people that felt it OK to wander around the ship in their robes, just about every day, on the Triumph last week.

Mornings were the worst. Women mostly, bed head, looked like a train wreck, like they rolled out of bed, threw a robe over their PJs (maybe?), and went upstairs to have breakfast.

I couldn't imagine going out in public in my PJs. We typically don't get dolled up for anything on the ship until dinner time, but we at least get dressed, brush our teeth, look somewhat presentable.

This isn't your house, you are in public, these people are not your family, they are strangers. How about put some clothes on, and make a LITTLE bit of an attempt to clean yourself up a bit.

Am I just being too snooty? Are robes in public socially acceptable? What is your take on it?

This is not only on Carnival but I have seen it on Princess and Celebrity as well.

I agree with you, you are in public, put some clothes on! The same goes for when not on a ship. Nothing worse than going out shopping and seeing people out in public in their pajamas, looking like they just crawled out of bed. Get some respect for yourself!

While I'm not one to wear a robe in public, I really don't care if anyone else does.

I also don't care if someone, "mostly women", has 'bed head' or looks like a 'trainwreck'. :rolleyes:

If someone is comfortable/happy with the way they look, that's the only opinion that counts.

By all means, if it makes you feel better, spend the time it takes to win the approval of your physical being by people that have no bearing on your happiness or life.

Life's too short to be bothered by such inconsequential, harmless, minutiae.

Besides, you're supposed to be on vacation! :)

Wow, I'll be going on my first cruise in a month and that is one thing I NEVER would have expected! Seriously? People leave their room in the PJ's and a robe? Too funny! The PJ's I pack are usually closer in appearance to a jogging suit, but I wouldn't even consider heading to a public area without the proper undergarments in place and my hair and teeth brushed. But then, I also plan on ordering room service for my morning coffee...no need to venture out until I'm well caffeinated!

My take on it. This is coming from someone who personally would not choose to join the company of strangers in her pajamas and bathrobe and wouldn't allow my children to do it. It doesn't offend me to see people walking around in their pj's and robe at the breakfast buffet. I don't think my breakfast experience suffers. The exception would be if the pj's and/or robe were the kind of bedtime clothes designed to reveal or accentuate parts of the body usually considered private.

I have seen some at breakfast in PJ's and no robe on both Carnival and RCI so I guess I have to appreciate those that do put the robes on. I would never go to the buffet wearing a robe and will always get dressed and at least put on a hat to cover up that bed head if I don't feel like completely doing my hair yet. I have seen them around the pool areas too.

I think the only appropriate place for a robe is in the spa area. It isn't just cruise ships, I also saw people in PJ's in a hotel breakfast area on a recent trip but they were mostly teens and kids but not all of them:cool:.

We saw this at a land hotel a few months ago. The hotel serves a nice brunch. Most folks were dressed but a few families (including the adults) came down in their jammies and slippers. First time we had seen this.

I see this frequently.

People come to doctor appts. in PJ's and bedroom slippers. Dumming down of America and erosion of standards.

We were on the spa deck, 12, and to get upstairs to the spa pool on the Magic I had to cut across the gym to go upstairs..............I felt so odd and out of place to do that, but did not want to wear my swim suit without a robe and did not want to change once up there, LOL can't imagine how I would feel crossing the ship in a robe and pj's, LOL have seen it, especially in the early morning hours in the buffet.

I sailed on a Royal ship out of Galveston a couple yrs ago. Witnessed a lady going into the buffet in a robe. The staff member at the entrance turned her away. They didn't stand for it. Also wouldn't let anyone in the buffet in just a swim suit. Must be covered up. I thought it was great!

I have seen some at breakfast in PJ's and no robe on both Carnival and RCI so I guess I have to appreciate those that do put the robes on. I would never go to the buffet wearing a robe and will always get dressed and at least put on a hat to cover up that bed head if I don't feel like completely doing my hair yet. I have seen them around the pool areas too.

I think the only appropriate place for a robe is in the spa area. It isn't just cruise ships, I also saw people in PJ's in a hotel breakfast area on a recent trip but they were mostly teens and kids but not all of them:cool:.

Not sure what part of Mobile you are from but I have seen this at the Walmart on the Beltline and the one Tillman's Corner. :eek::D

:eek::eek:Never seen this one and hope I never do!!

I agree!!

Also, why is it 'ok' while around the pool to use a towel as a loose cover and change in/out of your swimsuit? Is walking 100 ft to the restroom a bridge too far?

Be grateful for the towel. We saw a man change from shorts to his speedo on Half Moon Cay. Or in this case Full Moon Cay. I'm still traumatized!

Not sure what part of Mobile you are from but I have seen this at the Walmart on the Beltline and the one Tillman's Corner. :eek::D

I'm from Alabama as well, and this is just another example of why most of the world thinks of us as uneducated rednecks. These are the same people you see on the national news after a tornado, or other natural disaster that have one tooth in their head, wearing a wife beater, making comments like "I was drinking my beer and the next thing I knew the tornado just blew my trailer away". :p I can say it, it's my state, and I still love it.

GET DRESSED TO GO IN PUBLIC!

I'm from Alabama as well, and this is just another example of why most of the world thinks of us as uneducated rednecks. These are the same people you see on the national news after a tornado, or other natural disaster that have one tooth in their head, wearing a wife beater, making comments like "I was drinking my beer and the next thing I knew the tornado just blew my trailer away". :p I can say it, it's my state, and I still love it.

GET DRESSED TO GO IN PUBLIC!

I know right, I cringe every time they get ready to interview anyone. Alabama born and raised, so like you I can talk about it. :D

Sorry OP for high jacking this small portion of the thread, now back to the regular scheduled program.....

I agree. well, except if you have a preplanned piano bar robe party which included the piano player!;)

I could understand the robes for the night-time movie screenings. I suppose I can understand using the robe by the pool as a coverup (although I find those things way too bulky for that purpose). But they have big bell sleeves. Those things don't belong anywhere within a mile of a buffet. Not me judging people for what they wear on their vacation; me judging people for not having the sense to realize they are creating a public health hazard. Or maybe I'm crazy for not wanting to see your sleeve drag through the salad dressing tub.