NCL back to South America

Rob1eddy

Thanks for the "thumbs-up". It really was an amazing trip. I've enjoyed putting the mini-review together. It has brought back such wonderful memories. One by-product is that ComputerTravelGuy and I have started talking about our Next Big Adventure. Like many of the previous posters, we are hoping to see some fresh itineraries when NCL releases its new schedule next month.

Well then that is great. We are waiting for the 2015 itineraries well. Good luck on your next adventure. Again thanks for your thoughtful review.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

With the transit of the Beagle Channel coming to an end and the sun setting, the crowd began to leave the Observation Lounge. ComputerTravelyGuy and I ate dinner in the MDR and then stopped by the Internet Café to check email. I went back to the cabin to prepare for the port call in Punta Arenas the next day. I had arranged a private tour for around 20 in our roll call through Turismo Aonikenk to see the penguin colony on Isla Magdalena via a high-speed rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB).

Marisol, my point of contact at Aonikenk, had told me that the tour was dependent on the weather and that she would email me the evening before the tour to let me know whether the tour would run the next morning. Sure enough, her email had been in my inbox when I had checked. The news was good: the tour was a “go”.

I had advised tour participants prior to their signing up for the tour that the tour was weather dependent. I told them I would let them know the night before our port call whether the tour would be running. I called their cabins to tell them the tour was on. I reminded them of our meeting place, told them to dress warmly in layers, and bring cash to pay for the tour.

The next morning the Sun dropped anchor in Punta Arenas. Because Punta Arenas was a tendered port, our group had arranged to meet ashore in the terminal building. We were picked up in vans and transported first to Aonikenk’s office to pay for the tour and then to the marina. We climbed into the RHIB and soon we were zipping up the Strait of Magellan toward Isla Magdalena at a speed of 30-35kts. What a blast!

The vessel’s captain was a retired Chief Petty Officer in the Chilean Navy. When he heard that ComputerTravelGuy and I were Navy veterans, he reached into a cabinet beneath the wheel, and pulled out a bottle of Pisco (a potent, grape-based distilled liquor) which he offered to pour into our coffee. Well, it would have been rude to say no. After pouring a generous amount in our cups, the bottle went back in the cabinet. A short while later ComputerTravelGuy smiled and waved his empty cup and got a refill. This time the Captain was even more generous.

It seemed like almost no time had passed before we heard the roar of the engines subside. We looked out and saw that we were indeed approaching the island. As we arrived, we saw a large crowd lining up to leave on the traditional ferry. We snapped the photo below of the RHIB just after the ferry left.

08PuntaArenas03_4x6_zpsaf14b0af.jpg

Our small tour was now alone on the island with THOUSANDS of Magellanic penguins going about their business and living life. There was a small lighthouse at the top of the island with large expansive views. There were plenty of paths to walk and penguins to photograph.

08PuntaArenas04_4x6_zps2b7bcdb3.jpg

08PuntaArenas08_4x6_zps132432aa.jpg

From the lighthouse at the top of the island, we had beautiful 360° views of the Magellan Strait.

08PuntaArenas07_4x6_zpsa9ef6395.jpg

An hour later we were back aboard the vessel. The Captain poured us another (even more) generous dose of Pisco into our coffee (Go Navy!) and even offered some to a few of our friends sitting nearby. While we had been on the island, the wind and waves had changed and the short excursion to Isla Marta to see the sea lions was no longer possible, so we headed back to Punta Arenas.

Once back at the pier, we were picked up and dropped off for lunch. ComputerTravelGuy had wanted to try a traditional “Hot Dog Completo” that he had seen on Anthony Bourdain’s Chile episode (Another GREAT episode, btw) so he had asked one of the deck hands for a recommendation. Several tour members followed us into the restaurant – more out of curiosity, I think – but once they beheld the Completo with their very own eyes, they all wanted one as well. The hot dogs were 1,000-calorie, artery-clogging works of art. We washed them down with Cerveza Austral, a local brew.

08PuntaArenas12_4x6_zps3adf5ee6.jpg

After lunch, we walked around the handicraft market then headed back to the ship. The changed sea conditions had made tendering more challenging. Stepping from the tender into the ship was especially tricky due to the rocking of the tender. Most people, including me, accomplished this with a small "leap of faith" and the help of 2 deck hands - one on each side of them - to pull them across the gap to the ship. I spent the remainder of the afternoon in the Observation Lounge reading my book and watching the tendering operations.

A good day. A very good day.

Edited by polySeraph

I was on this excursion with you...thanks again for arranging it! You didn't mention the thrill of the boat ride back to the port...I'll never forget that! I am so enjoying your review, it is like going on the trip all over again!

This was my favorite cruise and one of my best trips ever. If you get the chance GO. Every port was amazing and the Chilean fiords were stunning.

Antarctic Landing Excursion.

We docked in Punta Arenas. Early wake up and up to the buffet which was partially open. Had coffee and a sweet roll. We were in first group to leave for the airport.

When we arrived at the airport there was a place to rent boots. I had bought mine so good to go. I had on great under gear I purchased at Sports Authority. I wore jeans, a shirt, sweater, parka, scarf, gloves, and that headgear with mouthpiece. So glad I had it all. Have used it since. Layering is the way to go.

I cannot explain the anticipation, and apprehension at the airport as we all waited asking ourselves "will we make it? Will we take off? Will we get to do this?" YES! The exhiliration! Wow.

We were a group of about 40. Antarctica has strict rules regarding numbers of guests. It was a small but comfortable plane. We were fed a few times. More later about that. It was a nice flight. about 3 hours.

We landed on a gravel and dirt stretch of a runway. It was cool. Something so basic about it. We walked about the various buildings used in scientific research. It very much resembled barracks. We were able to buy souviners, and I bought and sent myself a postcard which I mailed to myself. It was postmarked Antarctica and I hand-wrote "I MADE IT!" accompanied by a happy face. We finally arrived about an hour after we had landed at an area that housed a gymnasium type building. There we split in 2 groups. We, group A walked to a water's edge where we boarded two zodiacs. This was so cool. I must admit I was a little scared, imagining myself falling overboard, but I made it. We unloaded in an area with literally thousands of penguins. Here we were about 25 people among thousands of them in their habitat. They came right up to us. We observed them in a way you can't in a zoo. We stayed there about an hour and headed back by zodiac and then by foot to the gym. There we had sanwiches and hot coffee and cocoa.

After that snack, Group B went to the penguin colony and we took off on foot. I must say I have been colder, but the cold air here is just different. It was like we were wearing lead boots. But we all soldiered on.

We arrived at our destination: a beautiful and ornate Russian church. Inside was small, but it looked like it was filled with pictures framed in gold. It was so strange seeing this in the middle of the tundra. Down the hill and over a ways was a very plain Catholic church. No comparison. We met up with the other group at the gym, gathered whatever we had left inside and went to rhe hanger area. There were cartoon cutouts, we laughed and took pictures. The signposts pointing to various world cities indicated the direction and number of miles away. Mind boggling!

Looking back, and reading this, one might ask, why? What's the big deal? You can see penguins in Puerto Madryn and other ports st a fraction of the cost. But, it was just being there... Being in a small, intimate tour... Reaching down and touching the soil, knowing you might be the only one in a roomfull of people who could say, "I have been to Antarctica, so far south on the globe, of which I have only dreamed of... Until that day.

We boarded the plane and were served a wonderful catered dinner from a chef in Punta Arenas. Awesome lamb. Our guide gave closing commentary. It was over. We returned to the area where everyone was returning to the Sun. A stranger turns and asks, "what did you do in port today?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I was on this excursion with you...thanks again for arranging it! You didn't mention the thrill of the boat ride back to the port...I'll never forget that! I am so enjoying your review, it is like going on the trip all over again!

Hi Chezbo! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It was one of my all-time favorite excursions, although at times, I wondered if I had rushed in where angels feared to tread. It really was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, wasn't it?

My understanding of what happened that day was that there was bad weather in the forecast but it wasn't supposed to move in until later in the day. During the hour we were on the island the weather started moving in ahead of schedule and the wind really kicked up. Combine the wind with the currents and the tides and the Captain had his work cut out for him.

I wasn't terribly concerned; that Captain had grown up in that part of the world and knew how to handle himself in those waters. Plus, that boat (the RHIB) was much more stable than a boat with a keel would have been. Pulling in at that little dock in the middle of nowhere was a welcome surprise... especially when those two vans pulled up just as we were climbing out of the boat. It was interesting seeing a bit of the countryside on the way back to Punta Arenas and now, 4 years later, it makes a great story.

Edited by polySeraph

Antarctic Landing Excursion...

Looking back, and reading this, one might ask, why? What's the big deal? You can see penguins in Puerto Madryn and other ports st a fraction of the cost. But, it was just being there... Being in a small, intimate tour... Reaching down and touching the soil, knowing you might be the only one in a roomfull of people who could say, "I have been to Antarctica, so far south on the globe, of which I have only dreamed of... Until that day...

Wow, it sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Do you have any photos that you would be willing to post?

Wow, it sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Do you have any photos that you would be willing to post?

I would have to find them, I moved this year AND figure out what I was doing. Haha. I do have them on CD I think.

Wow polySeraph and DMH15 both of your stories are so awesome! Many thanks for sharing them. It is so thoughtful of you both.

DMH15 the Antarctic excursion was about 1500.00 a person?

The cruise was about 2 weeks?

Wow polySeraph and DMH15 both of your stories are so awesome! Many thanks for sharing them. It is so thoughtful of you both.

I'm actually hoping that some of my old roll call buddies (or others who cruised this itinerary) will see this thread and post their experiences as well. There were lots of fascinating things to do in the ports. Some of my friends took an excursion in the Falklands to see the king penguins (there was also an excursion to a rockhopper colony) and in Punta Arenas private tours were organized to see penguins in Seno Otway. One group rented a car and drove out from Punta Arenas to one of the nearby estancias where they saw (among other things) the massive Andean condors. Another group organized a day hike in the national park in Ushuaia.

Edited by polySeraph

I'm actually hoping that some of my old roll call buddies (or others who cruised this itinerary) will see this thread and post their experiences as well. There were lots of fascinating things to do in the ports. Some of my friends took an excursion in the Falklands to see the king penguins (there was also an excursion to a rockhopper colony) and in Punta Arenas private tours were organized to see penguins in Seno Otway. One group rented a car and drove out from Punta Arenas to one of the nearby estancias where they saw (among other things) the massive Andean condors. Another group organized a day hike in the national park in Ushuaia.

I want to go back!

DMH15 the Antarctic excursion was about 1500.00 a person?

The cruise was about 2 weeks?

Yes. The cost was. $1,499. 2 week cruise. Santiago to BA. Travel time needed.

Antarctic Landing Excursion.

I cannot explain the anticipation, and apprehension at the airport as we all waited asking ourselves "will we make it? Will we take off? Will we get to do this?" YES! The exhiliration! Wow.

We were a group of about 40. Antarctica has strict rules regarding numbers of guests. It was a small but comfortable plane. We were fed a few times. More later about that. It was a nice flight. about 3 hours.

We boarded the plane and were served a wonderful catered dinner from a chef in Punta Arenas. Awesome lamb. Our guide gave closing commentary. It was over. We returned to the area where everyone was returning to the Sun. A stranger turns and asks, "what did you do in port today?"

DMH15 - What an incredible trip. The intimacy reminds me of the trip I took this year to Cambodia through Celebrity Cruises. I really wanted to do the Antarctica landing but was unable to get down there before NCL pulled out. The last year they were in South America there was a large group the week I sailed going and it caused the prices to just get out of control. I know some Norwegian crew who have gone there and have said it was a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing your account of the details. I do hope NCL returns there soon. :)

We weighed anchor and left Punta Arenas. Next up was 2 sea days. Our route would take us into the open Pacific for a while before cruising the Chilean Fjords in more protected waters.

09ChileanFjords00A_4x6_zps38482598.jpg

As we left Punta Arenas, the weather deteriorated and then deteriorated some more once we entered open water. ComputerTravelGuy and I were awakened in the wee hours of the morning by the sound of our cabinets and drawers slamming repeatedly as the ship pitched and rolled. I got out of bed, found our roll of painter’s tape, taped everything closed, and went back to sleep.

Conditions hadn’t improved the next morning. On our way down to breakfast the elevator stopped and reset twice due to the movement of the ship. We decided that perhaps we should take the stairs next time. After breakfast in an almost-empty MDR we headed up to a very quiet Observation Lounge to enjoy the day. We seated ourselves next to the windows as far forward as possible and enjoyed “Mother Nature’s rollercoaster”. I read my book while ComputerTravelGuy listened to tunes and watched the ship contend with the storm.

09ChileanFjords01_4x6_zps0d3fe319.jpg

There were very few people out and about. When it was time to go for lunch, we saw crew members (some with mops and buckets) but very few passengers. The MDR was about half-full. We could hear pots and pans banging in the galley (kitchen) with the occasional small crash as a pot hit the deck. When our appetizers arrived, ComputerTravelGuy looked down at his soup and started to laugh. “They’ll never believe this back home” he said as he snapped a picture with his iPhone.

09ChileanFjords02_4x6_zpsd5f79f11.jpg

We were still working on our appetizers when the Sun took a sudden, severe roll. We heard a massive crash in the galley that sounded as though a large quantity of dishes had just hit the deck. A few minutes later the Captain announced over the loudspeaker that he was securing the galley for the safety of the crew. The galley was closed for around 15 minutes before it was safe enough to resume lunch service.

By mid-afternoon we were out of the open Pacific and in the more protected waters of the inside passage. The movement of the ship subsided and we began to see more passengers out and about.

09ChileanFjords02A_4x6_zpsefef13fc.jpg

The next day we continued our transit through the Chilean Fjords. The scenery was just incredible. Everywhere we looked was another beautiful view.

09ChileanFjords03_4x6_zpsbcb48423.jpg

09ChileanFjords04_4x6_zpsee773eee.jpg

Edited by polySeraph

We went on the excursion to Volunteer Point in the Falkland Islands! Three hours of off road driving each way to see the King Penguins! I was going to say this was my favorite day, but the truth is every day was my favorite on this cruise!

Sorry, but I don't know how to make the picture bigger.

1380087287_kingpenguins.jpg.621bc84847dbe6297717b8d39456360f.jpg

DMH15 - What an incredible trip. The intimacy reminds me of the trip I took this year to Cambodia through Celebrity Cruises. I really wanted to do the Antarctica landing but was unable to get down there before NCL pulled out. The last year they were in South America there was a large group the week I sailed going and it caused the prices to just get out of control. I know some Norwegian crew who have gone there and have said it was a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing your account of the details. I do hope NCL returns there soon. :)

I hope so too. It was a wonderful experience.

This is the sunrise we awoke to in Ushuaia...never saw anything like that before or since!

I photographed hundreds and hundreds of penguins...they each had their own personality. I wish I could post all of the pics! These were taken on Magdelena Island.

ushuaia.jpg.f2de5917ced408d5f00ce4ebc0e133f9.jpg

penguins.jpg.2dbf0be9adb52eeec983f45e442d40bf.jpg

901626712_morepenguins.jpg.482fdbb89dacad4f224b21f4c92c73f8.jpg

2072704792_penguins2.jpg.4104c77c22e01e68fd515adda917b238.jpg

1980076469_cozypenguins.jpg.1d44c1aa2c4e08acb98c243169cabedf.jpg

This is the sunrise we awoke to in Ushuaia...never saw anything like that before or since!

I photographed hundreds and hundreds of penguins...they each had their own personality. I wish I could post all of the pics! These were taken on Magdelena Island.

Thank you for sharing. Your photos are wonderful.

After two days of cruising through spectacular fjords, we arrived in tiny, remote Puerto Chacabuco. Given the remoteness of the port, ComputerTravelGuy and I opted to play it safe and take an NCL excursion. It was still dark when we tendered ashore to meet our bus. The port itself was little more than the dock, a few outbuildings, and a gravel parking lot. We found our bus and climbed aboard. The driver closed the doors and off we went.

Our route took us through the scenic Rio Simpson valley. Our first stop was the Rio Simpson Nature Preserve where we got out and stretched our legs, taking in the morning sunlight.

11Chacabuco02_4x6_zps54e8d4c0.jpg

We returned to the bus for the drive through the Andes to Coyhaique, the regional capitol.

11Chacabuco14_4x6_zps20bbc413.jpg

11Chacabuco05_4x6_zpscbedc759.jpg

While we were in Coyhaique we had time to walk around the square and browse the handicraft shops. ComputerTravelGuy and I sat at a table by the window in a coffee shop. We watched the world go by while we drank coffee and checked email. Then it was back on the bus for more scenic traveling through the Andes. On the way back to the port we stopped at a small gift shop to sample traditional foods, the local wine, and pisco sours.

11Chacabuco15_4x6_zps30d21d13.jpg

Back on the bus, we overhead one of our fellow passengers telling the guide that she didn’t particularly care for the pisco sours. “Oh,” said the guide, “You would LOVE my father’s pisco sours. He has a secret family recipe and he uses a secret ingredient that makes them especially good.” Of course ComputerTravelGuy had to know what the secret ingredient was. “Well,” said the guide politely, “if I told you, then it wouldn’t be a secret.”

We arrived back at the tiny port 5 minutes before the last tender was scheduled to depart and got into the end of a very long line. About 10 minutes later we saw a vehicle come screaming around the corner. As soon as it stopped, the doors flew open and a group of our roll call buddies speedily headed for the back of line. Later we heard that they had had a fantastic day. We were envious; our day had been very good, maybe even great, but definitely not over-the-top fantastic like theirs. If only the port hadn't been so remote or the port call had been longer, we would have joined them in a heartbeat. Maybe next time. . . .

The Sun weighed anchor and we were off to spend the remainder of the day cruising north to Puerto Montt through some very scenic waters.

09ChileanFjords05_4x6_zpsd558be80.jpg

09ChileanFjords06_4x6_zps803337aa.jpg

We went on the excursion to Volunteer Point in the Falkland Islands! Three hours of off road driving each way to see the King Penguins! I was going to say this was my favorite day, but the truth is every day was my favorite on this cruise!

Those king penguins look amazing in your photo.

I want to go back!

Amazing pics. I'm debating S. America or Australia. You are swaying me.. .especially if NCL should go. :)

DH and I have really enjoyed remembering this cruise over the last few days. As a result, we're seriously considering going back to South America when we take our Next Big Adventure and, of course, we'd love to do it with NCL. Yesterday I was out on the HAL and Celebrity sites looking at their offerings and became a little gloomy at the thought of having to pack and wear tuxes and dresses in order to eat a meal for which I've already paid. We decided that it makes sense to wait until the NCL itineraries come out next month before making the commitment. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

FWIW, I recently received a large glossy book from a very large credit card associated travel agency highlighting all of their special deals for 2014. In the NCL section under the list of destinations where NCL cruises South America was listed. Of course, it could be a mistake............

FWIW, I recently received a large glossy book from a very large credit card associated travel agency highlighting all of their special deals for 2014. In the NCL section under the list of destinations where NCL cruises South America was listed. Of course, it could be a mistake............

Well, they DO call in Cartagena every now and then.

Our day in Puerto Montt was fun and informative. A roll call member had arranged a private tour for 10 of us through Patagonia Shorex. After an early breakfast, we tendered ashore to meet our group. Tendering went slowly since our tenders were sharing the dock with tenders from the Celebrity Infinity.

After leaving the tender we walked up the dock and got into a long line stretching from the dock, up a long, covered ramp, and into the terminal building. The line moved steadily and soon we were at the top of the ramp under the covered walkway. A Chilean official politely asked us to put our backpacks and purses on the ground next to us. Then a beagle was walked down the line to inspect the hand luggage. We had been warned ahead of time not to bring any agricultural products (like fruit from the buffet) ashore with us. I had always taken these warnings seriously; I had no desire to pay the hefty fine. The little beagle sniffed my luggage and moved on. The line started moving again and we were soon in the parking lot where we quickly located our guide and van.

Our first stop was the lovely little town of Puerto Varas on the shores of Lake Llanquihue. The architecture of the town reflected the influence of the German immigrants who settled in the region.

12PuertoMontt18_4x6_zpsb88ba21a.jpg

We walked to the shore of Lake Llanquihue and then around the town. While some of our group went shopping, ComputerTravelGuy and I walked a while to stretch our legs and ordered coffee in a little café across the street from the square. At the appointed time, the group met at the van and we were on our way to Mount Osorno and Petrohue Falls.

12PuertoMontt04_4x6_zpsbd31fc1a.jpg

12PuertoMontt05_4x6_zps411c5334.jpg

My favorite part of the day was a short hike down the beautiful Petrohue River.

12PuertoMontt11_4x6_zps5b4a7024.jpg

After the hike, we returned to Puerto Varas for a Chilean King Crab lunch, then back to Puerto Montt to visit the fish market. Our guide discussed the various types of seafood for sale in the market and answered questions.

12PuertoMontt16_4x6_zpsb9ed9206.jpg

Then it was time to return to the ship. When the Sun weighed anchor and left Puerto Montt, we were all a little sad. Our last port call was now just a memory.

Edited by polySeraph